sat nav or BC

alpinerider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have basecamp on PC but cannot use it to create routes but thought after reading the forums that most routes sent to you or downloaded from say 'ride "magazine should ideally be loaded onto Sat Nav via BC
So thought I would give it a try
For recent trip I had a GPx route in the Morvan sent to me by another member of this forum.
I transferred the file into basecamp
Basecamp showed both a Route Gpx and a Track under it in the list
When opened on PC the Route showed the route and all waypoint flags

I transfered the Route ( not the track) to my 390 Zumo. All looked ok and opening it all the waypoints were listed

However once in the Morvan the San nav would only take me to the next waypoint on the route . From there I had to start up the route again and highlight next place on route and so on and so forth

What did I do wrong?

There are lots of threads on how to run routes that involve intermediate waypoints between A (start point) and B (end point).

Have a flick through some and see how you go.

There are lots of threads on how to run routes that involve intermediate waypoints between A (start point) and B (end point).

Have a flick through some and see how you go.

I read somewhere once that "Getting information from the internet is like taking a sip of water from a Fire Hydrant.
This is pretty much how I feel when answer to a simple question is “why don’t you try doing a search on this forum” before asking the question.
Not everyone has had the advantage of either having computer knowledge from an early age, gone to university until they were thirty, have a job as a programmer or even work for a company that has them sat in front of PC for eight hours a day, and some of us are just plain thick.
So what for some may seem a piece of piss for others it is a quite a daunting challenge and judging by the amount of Questions asked on a Forums regarding its use it seems like an awful lot of us.
I am sure that it is an absolutely amazing bit of software however I do not want to waste any more of my life with it. I have spent many an hour sat alone in the early hours, in tears, drinking far to much trying to master it and although positive that it was not the sole reason for my recent stint in ReHab I am sure that it had at least some contribution.
I do not want to “create” a new route through the Darien straight with 5,000 shaping points or ‘have it linked to some Apple device and have it monitor my heart rate as I am standing on the pegs riding the Road of Bones but what I would like to be able to do is.
Search for a route that someone has generously shared on the web for others to enjoy.
Think, Ahh. that looks interesting
Download it to Basecamp ( or similar)
Upload to Sat Nav
Then I would like to be able to turn up in some foreign land, select the route on my all singing all dancing Garmin Zumo and err……, follow it. Not select it only to find it doesn’t load because somewhere In the deepest darkest corner of either Basecamps or Garmins inner workings there’s a tick box that has not been unchecked which without it fails to function. Or it goes round and round in circles and I am told when I get home that I uploaded the route in Version 6.95 which my sat nav no longer recognises unless I give it a complete refresh. Etc etc
Sometimes you need to know what it is you want to look at, how it is connected to everything else and how to gain value from what you are seeing. Otherwise its all just black Magic."
So I guess that a quick answer has been not forthcoming because of the lead taken by Wapping ?

Not everyone has had the advantage of either having computer knowledge from an early age, gone to university until they were thirty, have a job as a programmer or even work for a company that has them sat in front of PC for eight hours a day, and some of us are just plain thick.

That’ll be me.

PS You are very melodramatic.

The more I look at your opening post, it’s still very hard to know where to start to help you. That being said, I think it is maybe down to operator error.

I am having to imagine what you saw on your screen. I guess it was something like:

A The start point of the third party route you imported. Whether or not you were at this point is important.

B An intermediate point, marked by a yellow flag

C An intermediate point, marked by a yellow flag

D An intermediate point, marked by a yellow flag

E The end point

I guess you were asked which point you would like to be taken to? I guess you chose B? If you were some way away from A when you did this, the device will calculate you a route (based on your preference settings) to take you from wherever you were sitting to B, as that is what you asked it to do. Whether this device created route matched the route you had hoped to take is pure luck. If there was only one road from where you were sitting to B, then the device should take it, obviously. If there were several, the device will select the one that most closely matched your preference settings.

When you arrive at B (assuming that is you arrived at exactly that spot) the device may well stop and in affect ask you what you’d like to do next. Alternatively it may just pick up that you are now on the route that you imported from the third party and guide you to the end point.

Without knowing what you did, where you were when you started, whether you actually ever ran the full imported third party route at all, it’s really hard to help you. What I think you did was that you never ran the full route at all. You broke it up into chunks, by chosing the next point on the list. This meant you went A to B, stop. B to C, stop. C to D, stop and so on. Quite why, when you apparently arrived at B it didn’t pick up the third party route properly, I can only guess. That guess is that it was not asked to. Why it wasn’t is pure conjecture.

The Nav VI is a very advanced GPS device, featuring all sorts of bells and whistles that motorcyclists have demanded. It is perhaps not intuitive. For certain its advanced nature makes it difficult for someone new to take it out of the box, import some third party route (that may itself have been created in all sorts of third party software, which can bring its own problems) and expect it to work straight off the bat sitting in the Morvan. For that to happen you’d maybe be better off with one of the earlier devices, which may well have just ‘done it’ as you hoped it would.

Saying that you “You can’t use BaseCamp” is a strange way to start, only because lots of people who have not the slightest idea how a computer works (I’ll put myself in that groupe) can and do use it on a PC and on a Mac. Have you tried using Garmin’s Mapsource software instead? I ask this as several who say that they cannot get on with BaseCamp find that it works for them.

There are lots of good threads on how to run routes on the Nav VI (and its generic Garmin brothers and sisters) and on the possible perils of running imported third party routes. Similarly, the link to the publication I gave you in post #5 you’ll maybe find helpful.

I had actually replied to your link regarding being "Melodramatic "earlier this morning , Looks like when I got the series of "Proxy Server not working "messages on all my open tabs it did not send
Anyway. Melodramatic, maybe but some truth in there
It was meant as a bit of fun and I just knew it would promt a reaction;)
I say I cant use Basecamp as to date I have been unable to fathom it out with any success but I will give it one more go using the guide in th eLink you have sent me and if still having problems I might try the Mapsource as I have never seen this one live.
Still confuses me to a certian degree the need to persevere with the like of BC when quite a lot of people are now just route planning on Myrouteapp/ Tyre for travel and the like. Am I missing something here?

As for what went wrong in the Morvan, well your guess is as good as mine, Without knowing what you did, where you were when you started, whether you actually ever ran the full imported third party route at all, it’s really hard to help you.
What I think you did was that you never ran the full route at all. You broke it up into chunks, by chosing the next point on the list. This meant you went A to B, stop. B to C, stop. C to D, stop and so on. Quite why, when you apparently arrived at B it didn’t pick up the third party route properly, I can only guess. That guess is that it was not asked to. Why it wasn’t is pure conjecture. but this looks favourite. Oh by the way I have a garmin 390

Again post was a bit of fun
Will now get stuck into guide
Thanks, keep up great work
AR

Yes, you can use Tyre/Myroute and just about any route creation tool you like. That, once you step outside of Garmin software, they can bring problems of their own are obvious from posts and threads on this website.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Back
Top Bottom