Solar Battery Charger

lazybike

Reaction score
Does anyone use a solar battery charger? I'm not familiar with the BMW electrics and I understand it needs a special optimate to charge?

That’ll be the canbus. If you must use a charger just get a optimate or such with a fly lead to the battery. I’d think you could do the same with a solar charger. In my experience I’ve never needed a external charger even while parked for 3 weeks. Personally I feel that those chargers do more harm than good. JJH

If you connect directly to the battery then the BMW electronics will not affect the charging. As JJH states, a poor quality charger can have a detrimental effect on the battery (or electronics if the battery remains connected to the bike).

Like JJH, I have left a bike with a modern battery, usually an AGM type, for several weeks. Unless there is a drain of some sort like an alarm system then these batteries do not discharge very quickly compared to older, wet batteries.

Like JJH, I would not use a charger unless it is a device approved to the relevant CE regulations from a recognised maker such as Optimate, CTek etc.

so optimate is ok then ?
every bike i have had/have has them connected ?

As I understand it the canbus system needs a specific charger, Nippy Normans have them for £60. I'm assuming I can just disconnect the battery and charge it normally with any charger?

As I understand it the canbus system needs a specific charger, Nippy Normans have them for £60. I'm assuming I can just disconnect the battery and charge it normally with any charger?

Where any charger is one designed for AGM batteries, not the one grandad used on his Morris Oxford.

Back
Top Bottom