Hello from Lancashire

Nick JC

Reaction score
Hi all, i am new to the forum after being recommend to it by a friend.... So i have just sold my Africa Twin (CRF 1000) and bought a GS 1200 Rallye. Had my first ride out today and absolutely loved it, did about 120 miles and back home for lunch!! I do have a question though and would appreciate any advice. As i have never had a shaft drive bike before i am aware of some strange noise / clanking and wonder if its normal? i find if you are cruising not really under acceleration or deceleration just maintaining speed at say 50 - 60 mph i can feel a clank / knock mainly through my feet. It feels like the centre stand is banging the underside of the frame. When i first picked up the bike i thought it was suspension related as it seemed to happen when i went over expansion joints in the road or any small undulations. Today it seems to be more like it was coming from the shaft drive. one of the guys i rode with says its quite normal and you learn to ride so you are either under load or decelerating. I am just not sure, and like i said earlier it happens even at part load just driving along. The bike is under warranty, so i am not too worried, just thought i would ask here for chance it is a normal characteristic of the bike.

Anyway, love the forum!! found out so much about the GS from here before i bought one, looking forward to meeting some of you at some point!! Nick

Same with mine

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum, its a great arena to get ideas and laugh at the abuse and rhetoric thrown about.

Funnily you've just reminded me that my 2017 Rallye too has that knocking now and again, and I've always thought it was the centre stand moving and returning to its neutral position. I did check the strength of the spring and it seems to be pretty strong. Like you I'd be keen to know whether others have the same and whether they know what causing it.

Glad youre enjoying yours they are nice bits of kit. Cheers Alistair

Welcome Nick I’m also in Lancashire, about 15 miles from you, thankfully not far from North Yorkshire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Smogbob, the bike is not new, it is a 17 plate with 6k on the clock. has just had a service last month with the previous owner. The more i read, the more it seems to be normal, but coming from a chain driven bike it just doesn't feel right. Thanks Nick

Hi Nick, another Lancashire lad here, I live near Chorley and have a 2005 GS with 58k so far.

I did it the other way round, came from a GS LC and now have an Africa twin dct.. Did you not gel with the Africa?

Hi I think you will find it’s the rear shock moving around, for some reason it is mounted using spherical bearings which allow it to swing from side to side, give it a twist you’ll se what I mean.

Hi Nick.

I'm further down near to Chester.

Might be worth getting it checked just to be safe - maybe where it was last serviced - or ring them for advice.

Enjoy your bike !

Thanks Nick

Thanks for the reply Alistair, going to give the dealer a ring in the morning and see how i get on.

Hi Nick, if you dont mind updating me on any results, I'd be appreciative. best regards Alistair

Nick, I've just acquired a 2017 Rallye. If you don't get any joy from a dealer your welcome to try mine and compare
I live in Lytham

Hi I think you will find it’s the rear shock moving around, for some reason it is mounted using spherical bearings which allow it to swing from side to side, give it a twist you’ll se what I mean.

Hi, you are right, it does move around with a little effort, can it be tightened up? Still suspect the drive tho as it only happens when coasting so to speak!

Hi Nick, I’ve got a 2018 Rallye with 6000 miles and it does the same....I believe it’s normal.

Hi Nick, I'm in the Lancashire / Greater Manchester border.. I bought a 2018 te this summer.. Its normal.. Just finishing the northwest 500..actually sat in a pub in Peebles as I type.. If u want to try mine to compare drop me a pm... Steve

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, got it in at the dealers on Friday, and hopefully they loan me another GS! Done the North Coast 500 but not heard of the north west 500! Going to google it now! Love Peebles though, go up there a bit with the mountain bike. Cheers Nick

Ha predictive text meant northcoast got back today.. We did more than northcoast.. 1060 miles.. 5 of us..

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

Right, not sure if I am getting somewhere or not, so I took my bike into the dealers for assessment and took an 18 plat Gs out as a loan bike, if you said my bike was 100% bad in terms of the clunking this new Gs with 1800 miles on was about a 5%, in other words I could feel the same kind of clucking but it was so mild, if I hadn’t rode mine I would never have detected the clunking on this newer Gs. Anyway the dealer sent 2 techs out on my bike and they have confirmed the problem is with the splines! They have asked me to book the bike in again as they are going to swap the swinginging arm due to a corrosion issue I also pointed out. Now the girl behind the counter says that they are going to sort the splines out! But it was difficult to understand what that entails, she mentioned re greasing! So I think from what I can gather that there is a special grease for the splines that should solve my issue. Not sure I am happy with this answer, but I will let the techs do what they suggest and see how it goes. I will update you once they have done the work which is planned for the 11th of Oct...., Cheers Nick

Back
Top Bottom