First Proper ride on the 1290 SAT from AMS Motorcycles

Gregd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I drove (in a van) from North Lancashire to pick up my new Bike from AMS on Saturday, Iws busy yesterday so didn't really give the bike a proper run until today when I decided to ride to work at Sellafiled up through the Western Lake district.

First things first I have to say that James and the team at AMS were a pleasure to do business with, if your down that way (in fact anywhere) and in the market for a KTM then give them a shout......a top outfit and very professional.

Now on to the bike, having come from a 2015 GS TE all i can say is WOW......this thing really puts a smile on your face. Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with the GS (i loved mine) and in a way was disappointed that i couldn't do a deal on a new one, it doesn't put a smile on your face like the KTM:D:D. The GS does everything really well, it is comfortable, it handles well, it can pick its heels up when it needs to etc, in fact it does everything the KTM can only the KTM (in my opinion) does it better. I think the major thing for me is the 'apparent' weight difference, although on paper its not massive when your on the bike and flicking through the twisties or maneuvering slowly around town it feels so much lighter. A big plus when you're a short ares like me.

My only gripe so far is the screen, being a shorty i would've expected it to give adequate protection against buffeting but no matter how much i messed with I can't seem to get the screen right. With that in mind has anyone had a similar experience and replaced the stock screen or come up with a solution.

So I drove (in a van) from North Lancashire to pick up my new Bike from AMS on Saturday, Iws busy yesterday so didn't really give the bike a proper run until today when I decided to ride to work at Sellafiled up through the Western Lake district..

Were you or the bike "glowing " on way back by any chance?:)
Had a look on AMS website 1290 T one only so I guess you got the last one and site not yet updated
Lots of bike for the money at that price
Will be interesting to see what deals are about in next couple of months.

Second choice cannot be wrong then............:augie

Wondered how long it would take........if i'm honest it wasn't even on my radar as much like you I was single minded and thought nothing was as good as a GS, that's how good BMW marketing is.Tried Honda (nothing more to say on that) and hadn't even considered KTM until a mate suggested trying one and I'm glad he did .

Now on to the bike, having come from a 2015 GS TE all i can say is WOW......this thing really puts a smile on your face. Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with the GS (i loved mine) and in a way was disappointed that i couldn't do a deal on a new one, it doesn't put a smile on your face like the KTM:D:D. The GS does everything really well, it is comfortable, it handles well, it can pick its heels up when it needs to etc, in fact it does everything the KTM can only the KTM (in my opinion) does it better. I think the major thing for me is the 'apparent' weight difference, although on paper its not massive when your on the bike and flicking through the twisties or maneuvering slowly around town it feels so much lighter. A big plus when you're a short ares like me.

Glad you're enjoying it and nicely summed up :)

Agree with all that as for me, apart from more power and handling I prefer the big difference is how 'engaging' the KTMs are. They just seem to have an 'edge' that is all but missing on the GS (as good a bike as it is). They make me smile too, four years in the smile is as big as it always has been.

Andres

My screen set up is now this:
> Standard base screen
> Puig double bubble screen
> MRA X creen spoiler

Thoroughly tested this year and seems to work nicely (for me anyway).

b737ee08f0bd00a5ee0a3d7f6eb701bd.jpg

1ffefcbb2d45281b67ab232bf77ef17b.jpg

51edf601b9119cc6fdedda42a1becc9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom