Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Gael warning in the Congo

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I think this is the twin spark one

Although not sure how you can be sure if a used one...I guess motorworks and motorbins test them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff, as usual, Simon. I’m not sure how I’ll get through the Autumn now, but will look forward to your new year continuation.

Motorworks do sell the blocks

Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    Thanks Mike. I may have misspoken about the filter... I am sure steptoe has replaced the filter during the regular servicing but the pump is original.

During the 300 miles of whining pump did you get any fuelling issues or stalling (as I am experiencing a little)?

S

Envoyé de mon G8441 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Still, that's a good mileage from the original pump given the countries you travel through and the low quality fuel you get

I had no issues with stalling or otherwise but my pump was only 20k miles old at the time so it was probably still strong enough to cope.

Hope all goes well with your wife's op.

Mike.

Cheers all.

Filling in the couple of days before my flight.

Found a nice hut by the beach near the Angola border:

Grub is good

Neighbours are friendly

Beach not too crowded

Xavier the patron is a livewire former soldier and bodyguard (told him to tune in to the BBC for the latest on that!) and motorcyclis, and we end up drinking beers into the evening and talking of our respective travels and adventures (his far more hair raising than mine!)

Following a new path Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    What a beautiful spot ...

It is indeed...but I was glad I had taken a taxi there (the taxi driver wasn’t !) and left the GS stores away as there was a kilometre if very deep sand on the way there.

I have learned from experience that he GS is not ideal for this...whilst you have to go for it, it’s sheer weight is intimidating when it slaloms

I think I shall put a ‘sand-riding ‘ training course on my early Christmas list...although I have now down a fair bit I still find it stressful

Drumacoon Lad also asked me an interesting question about local motorbikes which promotes a research visit to the Bajaj dealer here.

After a bit of negotiation it transpires that you or I could buy their 150cc model, with decent on/off road tyres and sturdy suspension and electric start (plus, importantly a Kickstarter) for about £900 including registration and a year's insurance.

It's only a 4 speed box but no complications of fuel injection (it's a carb model) and as it's designed to carry at least 3 people it's certainly robust enough to get me to South Africa (and every village mechanic will be a letter to cope with the technology).

So that's certainly something for me to think about as I price up the new ECU, fuel pump and silent blocks I need.

So I am pondering all this as I enjoy last Congo sunset for a little while

Thanks for the info Simon. Looking at the photo, if I do come down, we'd only need one bike. You can drive and I'll carry the luggage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Appropriately enough the photo suggests a couple of sacks of prátaí can be carried with ease☘️

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Superb reading & piccy viewing as ever Simon....
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Thanks Ash... really appreciate the feedback and support. I find writing the blog is a good way to think through my options and the Tosserati always have interesting viewpoints!
    Also as I am.not much of a drinker (despite the photos) it keeps me occupied of an evening!

Thinking of what I need to get the GS running well, and anticipating what may be to come, I think it might be prudent to add a Hall sensor to the potential shopping list, so that becomes quite a lot of stuff.

I think next week I shall take a ride up to Steptoe and sons of Putney, scrap iron merchant extraordinary, and talk to the sage himself before I start purchasing.

I guess with new ECU, fuel pump and filter, new plugs (already fitted) there is not much else in the system🤞except the injectors and the HES.

Could the injectors have been damaged? The bike was running well but sounding slightly 'hoarse and throaty' (if that description makes sense?) and occasionally stalled, and the fuel pump was whining.

I guess when I come back I can start with the fuel pump replacement and work from there...

I'm pleased to be a member of the Tosserati who enjoys your adventures. Great beach.

Now returned to Hampshire intact, courtesy Ethiopian airlines, despite a crude attempt at a shakedown by the venal police and customs officials at Pointe Noire airport*♀️ - which I successfully resisted, unlike the next guy through, an Angolan from Cabinds, off whom they extorted$50...no mean amount.

And tomorrow morning I shall ride up the A3 to consult with St. Eptoe of this parish, before kicking off a shopping list on eBay of replacement parts (should be fun getting those through the PNR airport mafia when I return)

Plus an ECU of course!

Be good if you could get an "invoice" from a handy GS garage man for all the spares you take back with you with rather low values against them, just in case M. Customs decides to charge import duty.

I find the GS guru in fine form, on a sunny autumn day

We talk about travel, and what might possibly need replacing on my GS. The one he is working on today has 100,000 miles on the clock

He gives me a quick tutorial on fuel pumps and the importance of the U bend

The conclusion is that it's worth bringing a replacement ECU as well as the fuel pump; and also worth carrying a replacement Hall sensor as mine has had a long and hot life already and Neil reckons they should be replaced every 10 years.

He has rarely seen a failed ECU so who knows what prompted that to happen.

So a useful recce and now off to the online shops for me*♂️

Welcome back Simon. But don't stay too long, am dying to read the continuation
    In the meantime best wishes to your favourite pillion for a speed recovery from her impending op
    Or should she be getting the same medication as you
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast