Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Gael warning in the Congo

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Cheers guys, I'll continue to show what we see and give names when I can.

The time spent on the Okovango Delta was rich and intense, and at least for me, took some time to readjust to the "mainland". I went to stay at a Backpackers Camp, in Maun for a couple of days and Kit and Simon joined me there later. The place itself is interesting as it overlooks a large pool in the river where we saw our first hippo, before going to the Delta.

Backpackers is an interesting place. A camp, with setup tents and a camping area. It is located by a pool in the river, outside Maun, where we have seen a hippo and I herd hippo in the pool from my tent.

The pool is by a damaged bridge which is supposed to be the oldest in Botswana, and these kids are on the way home from school. I'm doing a bit of trip planning keeping an eye on the river. No crocs while we were there but we did see a big reptile. My tent had a 2 tree en-suite but no roof, interesting in the rainy season. These weaver birds were doing some repairs just by my tent.
    Kit spotted this 2 meter reptile emerging from the river.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Racist...
    Lost my Quinten. Not a comment I welcome. You may have time to edit and remove.

We all left Maun this morning heading east. The road started great and the Suzuki was purring along with ease. Once we'd covered 50km we pulled over to arrange music to play through the helmet speakers. I sorted mine out and was about to leave, with Simon to catch up as we'd done many times before. As I pulled out I noticed Kit was off the bike and Simon had his helmet off. Something was not right. Simon came up to me and explained the ignition key was stuck in his ignition.

I got off and had a look, applied WD40, but no success. The key would turn the ignition on and off but not rotate to engage the steering lock or come out of the ignition. It had rained heavily over the last few days and rain may have got in to the switch. Simon's only option was to return to Maun and seek help and maybe advice from BMW in Windhoek. There was nothing I could do to help, so continued to Gweta, hoping Simon could follow when the problem was sorted.

After Simon turned around the good road got interesting, firstly with potholes, then wildlife, warthogs and antelope. Then some bigger wildlife appeared.

The first elephant watched me closely from the edge of the Bush about 50 meters from the road. The second one was an old one, with a missing tusks and got frightened by a truck passing too close. The third Elephant was on the edge of the road, not moving back as I approached, finally he was just 10 meters away and flapping his ears and snorting. When he lunged I decided it was time to leave, but those few seconds, so close to this fierce elephant were priceless.

Runny eggs and strangers, white lines and unmade beds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumacoon Lad. View Post
    Lost my Quinten. Not a comment I welcome. You may have time to edit and remove.

Sincere apologies for any offence. Just seemed to me like the birds on the tree had been segregated.

I'm too late to remove the post. MODERATORS can you remove that post please as I don't want to be misunderstood (and the quoted ones).

Thanks.

So while Jim was grappling manfully with heffalumps, Kit and I rode back to Maun where thanks to iOverlander I soon found myself in garages-land...

The problem we were trying to solve was the refusal of the key to exit the ignition barrel. As due to the negligence of two of my otherwise wonderful helpers in Africa, 2 of my three keys had gone missing and this was the only one! So I could not refuel, remove panniers, access the tools or remove the petrol tank!) Hence the decision to turn back.

By a series of referrals we found ourselves at the third workshop Taurus Batteries (only 300metres from the first we tried).

There Tim (whose mother is a retired nurse in Glasgow. He hopes to visit her as he 'wants to experience winter'. I tried To manage his expectations!)

Multiple applications of lubricant didn’t seem to have any effect. We were in the process of tapping in a car ignition switch to see if that would work as a replacement (after I confirmed through Google the 1150 key had no security chip thank heavens) when my umpteenth go actually removed the key.

So now the hunt for a key cutting shop with appropriate blanks, eventually found down a sandy lane. After a repeat visit (keys didn’t work first time) I now had 3 keys that would open fuel and panniers, albeit only one that worked for ignition where the barrel is definitely not 100%}

But security is not my main concern so I can now leave the key in the ignition if it jams. I don’t think I have ever locked the bike in the entire transit of Africa so not thinking of starting now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim trying to suss out how to solve the stuck key problem whilst my pillion looks on

Next door was a business which converts containers into little offices or dwellings Name:  DSC_0067.jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  99.9 KBName:  DSC_0068.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  215.0 KBName:  DSC_0069.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  169.6 KB

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Good news Simon. Another mini adventure. And the elephant wasn't that special, oh actually it was! Hope you see some tomorrow.

The problem with the ign may be one troublesome wafer. Easy to remove the barrel using the end of a paper-clip. Identify the problematic wafer and remove it. I did this to cure a notchy ign.
    Just take care not to lose a wafer or the titchy springs when you remove the key from the barrel. And note the order of the wafers.

Hey Two wheels good!

Appreciate a few more specifics on the ‘easy to remove’ technique as I have spent a good part of my llife struggling with things others found ‘easy’

Simon: sounds like you will be ok with your extra keys but, just in case, I think the ign switch is in two parts. The upper part is the lock which contains the wafers. The power part is the electrical switch. Getting access to the lock may well require the top yoke to be removed BUT if all else fails, you should be able to access the lower part by scraping off a blob of red paint on the plastic which hides a grub screw. Removing this allows the lower part to be dropped away from the lock. This should allow you to jury rig a by pass "hot wire" to activate the ignition. I'm sure someone will be along to correct / add to this!
    Start every day with a smile ... Get it over with!

Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    Hey Two wheels good!

Appreciate a few more specifics on the ‘easy to remove’ technique as I have spent a good part of my llife struggling with things others found ‘easy’

Simon
    There's a "pin hole" on the ign housing. AFAIR on the FRONT, midway position vertically - about key length. This is where the paper-clip is inserted.
    Insert paper-clip in hole with the key in the lock, steering lock unlocked. Grip key and slide the barrel out.

One of the wafers holds the barrel in the housing. The paper-clip is depressing the wafer to allow the barrel to be removed.
    (Sorry for delay. Dinner-time here in the grey damp north)

[Note correction ] Pin-hole on the FRONT of ign housing.
    Last edited by Two wheels good; 15-02-19 at 20:54. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Two wheels good View Post
    Simon
    There's a "pin hole" on the ign housing. AFAIR on the FRONT, midway position vertically - about key length. This is where the paper-clip is inserted.
    Insert paper-clip in hole with the key in the lock, steering lock unlocked. Grip key and slide the barrel out.

One of the wafers holds the barrel in the housing. The paper-clip is depressing the wafer to allow the barrel to be removed.
    (Sorry for delay. Dinner-time here in the grey damp north)

[Note correction ] Pin-hole on the FRONT of ign housing.
    Anyone got an 1150 Haynes manual or equivalent that can be photographed and posted? Always easier to follow photos

Enjoying the updates, Maun is a great frontier town, nice feel to it. Where are you heading now - SA?

Nothing in Haynes - but I found this!
    Note another correction - it states the ign should be ON to remove barrel. Once the barrel is removed you can operate the ign switch with a screwdriver.
    It's the same routine as removing key barrels to re-key panniers. Nothing complicated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After today’s ride East across Botswana to Nata. the bike is definitely looking ‘adventurous ‘Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  212.2 KB

We are definitely getting into the rainy season in these parts.

At our hostel at Old Bridge, Maun, a couple of days ago
    Name:  IMG_3044.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  190.0 KB

getting away with it so far! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great pic.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526