May have to invest in cylinder covers also...

Aye. I tried spacers but then removed inserts from bars and had them machined down. Then refitted them and removed spacers. Bit of a faff but done now. ��*♂️

Tell me more .... you had the original rubber bits machined down ? By who ? Or am I being stupid as I’ve not had coffee yet :blast

Arsey:

Ha! But you have yet to keep up with me in your Green Gobbler. Anytime you want to have a wager between Oviñana and Luarca on the N632, you know where to find me. :D I'll let you buy me my second coffee.....because by the time you get there I will have finished the first.:pullface

Dazcall:

Mine have 3 points of anchor; one is, indeed, solely anchored to the engine, the other two are anchored to both and in such a way that an extreme force would pull the chassis bars clean off and bend them, not to mention damaging the engine casing as it rips the screws out of their sockets or breaks the sockets themselves.

Whilst there may be an argument for the bars reducing the impact on the cylinders and damaging a fin or two, I find it hard to believe that they would do very much if the impact had been strong enough to rip a cylinder off. It's arguable whether the damage to an engine solely or an engine and a chassis makes any difference, I guess, and probably, therefore, academic. However, as you know, sometimes it isn't always the level of force but rather where that force is applied that can make all the difference. A relatively minor spill, impacting at the wrong angle can potentially do much more damage. Anchoring the bars to the chassis is potentially life shortening for the bike.

In any case, there is an argument to keep both, I suppose, because the covers will reduce any movement on the bars and therefore bending action on the anchor points. I shall see if they both fit.

Shh, don’t tell this lot where our favourite road is otherwise there’ll be another bloody pilgrimage route !!

I have bought the machineart covers but not to put on additionally, rather, instead of. The bars are going; they are attached to the chassis and if you have a spill the potential is there to bend the chassis which is a FAR more expensive problem.

The machineart covers look very tough and they slide which is a double edged sword depending on the spill.

I think it will look better without the bars also. Mine's a 2017/18 TE.

Agree entirely. The thinking with the airheads was don't fit engine bars, they are attached to the frame, which will distort in an off. Long before Machine Art appeared people carried a spare rocker cover, much cheaper to replace than a frame. Before fitting engine bars, look v carefully at where their attachment points are. Engine OK but anywhere else and the slightest knock might distort the chassis

I have a set of Machine Art head protectors that are soon to be advertised for sale. Took them off my 2016 bike last weekend befor PX. Left hand side has a few scrapes on the lower part from contact with garden wall, but only really noticble if you look closely and add a bit of character. All fixings included. £65 posted to anywhere in UK.

I would be interested in these if you still have them.

Fred

Aye. I tried spacers but then removed inserts from bars and had them machined down. Then refitted them and removed spacers. Bit of a faff but done now. *♂️

Tell me more .... you had the original rubber bits machined down ? By who ? Or am I being stupid as I’ve not had coffee yet :blast

Yeah, had about 10mm machined off face of insert. Drill 3 rivets out to remove them and obviously bung 3 rivets in when refitting.
I have a mate who has a milling machine so easy enough to do for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the head protectors for 2018 Adv the same as the 2017?

The first one, I would suggest, is a good solution for installing with engine bars. The second are similar to what machineart do but much cheaper. The machineart ones (X-heads) are made of supertough nylon polymer but I don't really know what advantage that has over aluminium which is what the second ones you're considering are made of.

There is a video somewhere on youtube of a slide using X-heads and the covers come off pretty well. They too have a rubber insert to help dissipate the force of any impact.

I have bought them now but I'm not sure the X-head ones are going to provide over £100 worth of better protection than those you are looking at.

I'll get BMW to install them when it goes in for its 10,000km service very soon (it's only 6 months old) because the covers have to come off. I have torque wrenches but I'd rather they did it, tbh.

I have a set of Machine Art head protectors that are soon to be advertised for sale. Took them off my 2016 bike last weekend befor PX. Left hand side has a few scrapes on the lower part from contact with garden wall, but only really noticble if you look closely and add a bit of character. All fixings included. £65 posted to anywhere in UK.

Victor - I am interested! Can you PM me with the details (and maybe a pic) please? (I don't seem to be able to PM you...)

I have a set of OE head guards which I have never got round to fitting complete with all the fixings and also some sticky stuff on one side from the packing tape that held the bubble wrap on them, it will come off with label remover or similar :D

£70 posted

Cheers

I was thinking about giving these a punt

Well they arrived they other day from China.

Try as i might, I couldn't work out how to fit them. A bit more investigation and I believe they are a copy of these Touratech ones which will not fit the adventure model. Will be up for sale soon.

The clearance with the bars where the plastic piece sits.. The one I got were pushed against the head when I tighten the crash bars. I guess I could have sorted it with some spacers between the engine block & the bars. I did email the supplier, who wasn't that helpful TBH. They have had a few people who also have had issues, though on the whole most people seem very satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom