Zip file of waypoints - how to load please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought a Zumo 660 off a 'bikermate' on here and now I have to try and put the fishing club car parks in it. The Hon Sec has sent them as a zipfile. I have downloaded them and they have appeared in my downloads folder.....from then on I am stuck. I have copied and pasted the folder to the Zumo card (32GB), but if they are there I don't know how to see the list on the Zumo. I looked in 'Extras' which is where I expected to find them -but there is nothing showing.

What have I done wrong please? I don't know what a zipfile is as opposed to any other kind of file.

Lee, whare art thou? :thumby:

You will need to unzip the file (open it) first before you can use it. Your pc should be able to do it for you.

You will need to unzip the file (open it) first before you can use it. Your pc should be able to do it for you.

It comes up as an X file....a load of boxes all over the page with the list on it - one on each line. I tried to copy that and paste it, but it wouldn't paste onto the card, only as a folder.

All the below is from a quick Google search so hope this works its not my instruction.;)

To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder by double clicking, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location, ie Desktop
Or to unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions. probably try the single file method first.

Then follow these steps

With the GPX file on your desktop
Connect your GPS device to your computer
Navigate to your device's drive
Navigate to the Garmin folder
Navigate to 'NewFiles' or the GPX folder (Probably GPX folder is the better option)
Place/drag the file in the GPX folder
Disconnect your device safely from your computer
Turn on GPS

IF there were only Waypoints in the GPX file you will need to manually import them.
Open the Tools > My Data > Import New Data >.

However Waypoints Could be automatically imported upon Boot to your WhereTo? > Favorites app.

I use the 'Garmin POI Loader' to load my speed camera database info

All the below is from a quick Google search so hope this works its not my instruction.;)

To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder by double clicking, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location, ie Desktop
Or to unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions. probably try the single file method first.

Then follow these steps

With the GPX file on your desktop
Connect your GPS device to your computer
Navigate to your device's drive
Navigate to the Garmin folder
Navigate to 'NewFiles' or the GPX folder (Probably GPX folder is the better option)
Place/drag the file in the GPX folder
Disconnect your device safely from your computer
Turn on GPS

IF there were only Waypoints in the GPX file you will need to manually import them.
Open the Tools > My Data > Import New Data >.

However Waypoints Could be automatically imported upon Boot to your WhereTo? > Favorites app.

I have tried following your instructions. I hav etried the You Tube methods..... the list I have got is on an excel program. I don't know about them, or GPX programs. I only use 'word' on my confuser - it is a glorified typewriter for me, that is all I do on it. Pictures are downloaded using the program that came with the camera, nothing fancier - and that is literally just a download program. The magazines do any fluffing about with them that might be needed, they just get them straight out of the camera. This is why my confuser knowledge is so limited - I have nobody here to show me how to do stuff because I work solo from home.

I will ring Garmin in Southampton and see if Alex the technician can help me - but the 660 is now obsolete too.

I know nothing about how to help you. If faced with the same problem, I’d contact the person who sent me the file and ask them to assist me.

Failing that, I assume that the waypoints are all on an Excel file? Here’s a video on how to move them into Garmin BaseCamp. It’s quite an involved process. I suggest you run the video on say an iPad, pausing at each action point whilst you work through it on your computer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XgX84unGnCs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom