is there an option to skip…….

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having spent 374 miles on the bikes, on a day one of our trip, I want to know if there is an option in a sat nav to skip towns centres (go around)? I find that as much as there is stuff/things to see and do, I would like to cut some time of my daily loss of time that we are spending, navigating at slow speeds in traffic.

Thank you all.

EV

Set your next destination to the near edge of the town then use it as a map to go round.

In Garmin Zumo 300 etc, there’s a Skip Waypoint feature. It’s in the menus & you can move it onto the map screen. Maybe also on your GPS?

Why are you plotting routes that go through towns and / or following the GPS instructions blindly?

You can:

1. Plot routes yourself that will take you along the roads you want to take, exactly

2. Use the device’s screen, at its most basic, as an electronic map. Turn the route off, the bike’s position cursor will still be there. Use the screen’s map just as you would a conventional paper map. Navigate yourself that way

3. Go to the device’s settings, where you can exclude roads and areas. Settings > Navigation > Avoidances > Custom Avoidances

b067abfc85b27ab5650174e73ab60c12.png

To summarise though, no, there isn’t an avoid town/ city centre option. Bizarrely.

To summarise though, no, there isn’t an avoid town/ city centre option. Bizarrely.

Why is it bizarre ? It's not a sentient machine, yet; it's a machine that needs input from the owner, it cannot make decisions for itself. Turn the feckin thing off until you need to find the hotel/ferry/bordello and try watching the scenery.

Why is it bizarre ? It's not a sentient machine, yet; it's a machine that needs input from the owner, it cannot make decisions for itself. Turn the feckin thing off until you need to find the hotel/ferry/bordello and try watching the scenery.

There is that, I guess. But it’ll avoid motorways/ unpaved roads/ toll roads and uturns, so why not avoid town centres, seeing as the world is supposedly concerned about emissions and congestion at the moment?

The problem with the dumb device taking the rider through town centres is very often down to the owner’s laziness.

Too often they plot a route town to town, for instance Northampton, Daventry, Rugby, Coventry. They then let the device fill in the gaps between the four towns according to their preferences. For example, avoiding motorways, windy roads, fastest route or whatever. The device, as it knows no better, will route the owner precisely to the points that it considers Daventry and Rugby to be, which (not surprisingly) is the town centre.

Of course if owners took a little more ownership of their dumb device, this would not happen. But that’s too hard.

The problem with the dumb device taking the rider through town centres is very often down to the owner’s laziness.

Too often they plot a route town to town, for instance Northampton, Daventry, Rugby, Coventry. They then let the device fill in the gas between the four towns according to their preferences. For example, avoiding motorways, windy roads, fastest route or whatever. The device, as it knows no better, will route the owner precisely to the points that it considers Daventry and Rugby to be, which (not surprisingly) is the town centre.

Of course if owners took a little more ownership of their dumb device, this would not happen. But that’s too hard.

What about Leicester?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom