One way or another: UKtoSA

Negan

Reaction score
Planning to ride back to South Africa at the end of my UK contract. Draft route is about 20000km through west Africa from Morocco to SA.

Will be 2up with everything but the kitchen sink, no backup, no riding buddies (apart from my wife obviously)

Looking for input from those that’s done similar route recently.

Also looking for feedback from anyone that’s done similar distance on 800GSA through countries where BMW On Call does not respond.

PS: General banter is most welcome, I’d love clever comments from the experts who’s never done it.

Not done the whole journey, but I've done the first bit (as far as The Gambia) a couple of times. The only real pain was getting visas for Mauritania, first time we queued in Morocco, second time we got them in London before we left. I suspect that you'll find the same hassle as you progress further down but we were on UK passports and you may not be. Your GSA will be fine, we went on Honda 90's.

This young lad did it not long ago alone. Might pick something up from his videos

Not done the whole journey, but I've done the first bit (as far as The Gambia) a couple of times. The only real pain was getting visas for Mauritania, first time we queued in Morocco, second time we got them in London before we left. I suspect that you'll find the same hassle as you progress further down but we were on UK passports and you may not be. Your GSA will be fine, we went on Honda 90's.

Thank you. Yes, we’re on SA passports, not sure if that’s better or worse but certainly different. The plan is to have most visas sorted before leaving.

Any specific sights/places you would put in the ‘must see’ or ‘avoid at all costs’ categories?

This young lad did it not long ago alone. Might pick something up from his videos

I’m busy watching his series on Youtube. Given we have some time to plan, I’m watching and reading anything I can get my hands on, both for inspiration and education.

Appreciate the link, thank you.

Volubilis in Morocco is worth a stop (Roman City) but don't let your partner near the large stone penis; Mauritania is doable in a day on a decent bike and well worth getting behind you, avoid the major urban centres of Mauritania at any rate. The rest we found easy going except for the minefield in the bottom of Morocco, stick to the Tarmac, use hotels and don't wild camp in this bit and you'll be fine.
Prepare a 'fiche' with your details, your bikes details, your passport number, your mothers maiden name, inside leg measurement ... and take lots of copies to distribute. You'll get stopped at checkpoints eight times a day and if you don't have a fiche they'll write down all these details, which takes time.

Volubilis in Morocco is worth a stop (Roman City) but don't let your partner near the large stone penis; Mauritania is doable in a day on a decent bike and well worth getting behind you, avoid the major urban centres of Mauritania at any rate. The rest we found easy going except for the minefield in the bottom of Morocco, stick to the Tarmac, use hotels and don't wild camp in this bit and you'll be fine.
Prepare a 'fiche' with your details, your bikes details, your passport number, your mothers maiden name, inside leg measurement ... and take lots of copies to distribute. You'll get stopped at checkpoints eight times a day and if you don't have a fiche they'll write down all these details, which takes time.

That looks interesting. I may actually visit Morocco before the Africa trip and explore for a few days in which case I might skip to Ghana when we ride home. Still weighing options though but this alternative would half the distance and give us a bit of time to cross into east africa before heading south.

Mali has some great spots but, current political and terrorist issues make a lot of no go areas. Worth checking the situation when you do go as it would be a shame to miss out on one of Africa's highlights.
I'll make some suggestions if applicable later

Horizonsunlimited usually has fresh reports from those on the move through Africa, check it out if you haven't already done so.

Our plans have changed, returning to SA soon on another assignment.

Our Africa trip will have to wait and the 800 that I prepared is for sale.

Back
Top Bottom