Engine bars

Chris Harris

Reaction score
I was just wondering if many have fitted engine bars? Which are the best and do they actually work? Any advice/views would be good. I have a new R1200 RT LC.

Hi Chris are the ones provided by BMW not enough for your needs, mine had these on when purchased and I added the head protection from Nippy Normans

06b857d26fdfc224d66b9f0e97501aff.jpg

dabe2323e403ab0497b3ce821a9274e2.jpg

They do not come with any bars - have to be added as an extra. I was just wondering about the different options out there and if they actually work when needed.

I have a white 2017 RT without bars. If I were going to install a set I would probably get the law enforcement (authority) bars for functionality and have them powder coated black. Not sure how any of the other types would hold up except for a parking lot tip over but maybe someone with a real world save can chime in.

Check this guy's website for his opinion on Illium's.

Good luck and great choice of bike - you won't be disappointed.

http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm

I was fortunate to grab a bargain of Touratech bars from a forum member off here ,, i think there brushed stainless and IMO look a lot better than the black ones.

On the twin-cam I used to have, l fitted the Touratech ones. They were great - tough, effective and good-looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Chris are the ones provided by BMW not enough for your needs, mine had these on when purchased and I added the head protection from Nippy Normans

06b857d26fdfc224d66b9f0e97501aff.jpg

dabe2323e403ab0497b3ce821a9274e2.jpg
But the pictured bike is a GS, not the R1200RT LC that the OP enquired about.......

Touratech bars; look good, nice finish, but I guess the only way to really test them is rather dramatic; traumatic even......

Attachments

• New bike 01.jpg
    New bike 01.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 274
  • New bike 02.jpg
    New bike 02.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 293

Back
Top Bottom