Recommendation for Ifor P7 lashing points

T12

Reaction score
In an effort to make life simpler (one trailer to cover all needs?). I have today picked up to a new (to me) For P7e. It is going be used for everything including transporting my GS, next week.

Can anyone recommend some tie down points. I don't really want any set in to the floor as it will be carrying wet stuff and I don't want a place that fluid can pool.

Has anyone used either type such as these?

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=208475&cat=561004335

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=208339&cat=561004335

I like the idea of welding on to the base of the sides if this is strong enough? If not then the second with bolts through the floor?

Tips appreciated if anyone has used a P7 for their GS. Are just 4 lash down points enough and would a front wheel brace be worthwhile?

Regards,

T.

Bump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello T,

Have you chatted with an IW Dealer ? They might be able to save you time and effort about where to attach any lashing points. You obviously need to keep the centre of gravity low and the trailer weight slightly nose heavy. It would be a shame if you go over a bump and the bike pullls that lashing points out.

It would appear from the manual that a front wheel chock will help.

Don’t forget to check your insurance as it’s normally the towing vehicle that has the insurance.

Attachments

• 6E36FF3F-3097-4ABB-AF3A-CEC1EB5CE15F.jpg
    6E36FF3F-3097-4ABB-AF3A-CEC1EB5CE15F.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 24F0E25B-B04D-4D4E-8E98-961CFB3E36EC.jpg
    24F0E25B-B04D-4D4E-8E98-961CFB3E36EC.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 232
I have used a bolt-on version of the first one on an Indespension trailer. One in each corner. The floor was that phenolic board, and I use some bits of plywood under neath to reinforce the floor. There were two steel flanges supporting the floor, one at the edge and one about a foot in. I cut the plywood to fit below these, so that any upward force was transmitted directly to the chassis. I never had any problems with them in about two years that I had the trailer.

I deliberately avoided weld-on loops because I wanted to keep the galvanising intact.

In the base - fit bolt-through anchor points as mentioned above.

Place them - one in each corner, together with one on each side (at the wheels) - 6 in total.

Also - drill the base to take one of those front wheel ‘grabs’. This will need to be removable for times when you need the entire trailer for other duties.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcyc...751144&hash=item48a4877d3e:g:Nm8AAOSwpkFY7Kem

Use galvanised bolts, lubricated with Molykote, and get some large galvanised or stainless washers to spread the load in the base.

Either fit double nuts wrung together, or use Nylock nuts on the bolts.

Where you drill the base - spray with Galvafroid paint to prevent corrosion there.

Should do it.

Watching with interest .... I’ve got a p7e and the only way I can get a GS or a GSA in is diagonally, and it’s a tight fit at that .... and makes it difficult to strap down evenly.

Please post pics of your solution :thumby:

Great trailers Ivor Williams :thumby:

Thanks to all, for some reason I aven't been getting the alerts so wasn't aware of the replies - I have drilled 4 lashing points down each side, atleast one 8mm bolt from each has gone through the metal work of the trailer, most I've managed to get both through so it looks like a good option. I am on the look out for a front wheel chock to be bolted in to the floor when required (if anyone has one going spare?!)

Cheers.

If the bike only fits by jamming the front wheel in a corner - you shouldn’t need the wheel chock?

Also - you don’t need the rear wheel to be ‘enclosed’ by the rear drop-down side. As long as the wheel is on the bed, the rear can be left off?

(If you need to use a separate ramp to get the bike on - don’t forget to take the ramp with you! (Pal of mine recently loaded his bike for his holidays, in to his van - then carefully put the ramp back in his garage :blast. Luckily - he was only driving as far as his daughter’s near London, so managed to run it on to her trailer, and on to the ground from there)

How it looks currently:

d14aa0c2cf53229adbae22a11433505f.jpg

Cheapest option for tie down points is visit a breakers with transit type vans in and buy a bunch of the standard tie down points , Mercedes Sprinter ones are good and you can even buy half a dozen off them new from E Bay for £12 or so

Hi T,
I had P6e for years and then replaced it with P7e - so I could also use it for a LARGE bike such as my GS.

I used it to transport my GS from Dundee to Gravesend in 2015 (500 miles) - and only used the standard P7e tie-down hooks on the outside of the trailer - and it works absolutely perfectly.
I also, temporarily, screwed 4 wood straps to the deck to locate wheels laterally,

I've attached a couple of images of the set up ready to leave:thumb

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0032_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0032_1_1.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0033_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0033_1_1.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 152
I see you have open hooks on straps to suspended points on the bike.

If the trailer bounces over potholes or the likes - your bike could become unlatched.

Very neat and seeing that makes me think I’ve over engineered it slightly...still...belt and braces and all that providing some extra tie down security!

I see you have open hooks on straps to suspended points on the bike.

If the trailer bounces over potholes or the likes - your bike could become unlatched.

Yep, I agree, well spotted:thumb - but it was pulled down fairly well - and I now cable-tie the strap hooks and trailer hooks together

Cheers.................Grizzly:beerjug:

That was my response when I first recognised the issue - then I bought carabiners for the duty.

For those who may be interested, my GS fitted very nicely in the P7...the new 2020 Honda Africa Twin ATAS doesn’t! I didn’t think it would be longer than the GS but it is and the ramp won’t close!

Back
Top Bottom