Mesh Wifi systems in old house?

The mesh starts from your router connected by ethernet cable to the new mesh base station which re-broadcasts by wifi to the mesh nodes. I think the Netgear Orbi Tri-Band is the best one according to the reviews.... no doubt there are many views.

One view is that a Ubiquity wifi hub located centrally in the house will penetrate all parts, I doubt this will in an old house.

Powerline should work if the wiring has been renewed in a ring-main config, but not if in spur config. I use DEvolo devices in my 1990's house but could not make it happen in the daughter's old house. It has been rewired but separate circuits defeat the powerline.....

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-orbi,review-4263.html

Just found this thread and am intrigued... I have an old house with thick walls and a large footprint, so my wifi is a bloody nightmare. Going 'mesh' sounds a very interesting possible solution to me.

Having just read up on a few websites about it, I'm still confused on the very basics - can someone enlighten me? If I were to install 3 mesh wifi nodes around my house, where do these devices actually obtain their network input? Wirelessly from each other? Or is it mains electricity-borne? Or via RJ45 cables connected to my network by whatever method?

They vary, but the better option is to go for those which communicate with each other (one of them needs a wired internet connection) on 2.4GHz which penetrates further, and you connect to them on the 5GHz band. You will need to keep them close enough together to link at a decent speed. For some places, running black external ethernet round the house behind downpipes and gutters can be a cost effective solution, wired is always better if you can find a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom