Brake Disk Holes

0ldman

Reaction score
Hi, weird question this I guess, but I'm unable to find the width of the holes in the 850GS brake disks from technical docs. I have a bike on order, but have jumped the gun somewhat by buying an Oxford Patriot disk lock to help secure it on arrival. Trouble is, the lock doesn't seem to fit my Honda CB650F. I'd assumed a standard size, but now wondering if this will fit the GS.

Can someone who owns an 850GS measure the diameter of the largest holes in front and rear brake disks for me? This lock has a pin diameter of 14mm, and i'm hoping it will fit.

Mabey I’m giving bad advice but if I had that problem I’d drill out one of the holes to 15 mm. If that caused a imbalance I’d drill another hole on the opposite side of the disc. Cue indignant outrage. JJH

I guess there's no guarantee that hole would end up in a good position to attach the lock on parking up though! I'll probably return and look for something else if it doesn't fit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You know that the Oxford Patriot disk lock goes into the space between the brake disc and brake disc carrier.

A disk lock would tend to wrap over the disc ( from center to outer) rather than through the vent holes of the disk, if that’s what you mean.

Just googled oxford patriot and it fits between the disc and the carrier.

Mabey I’m giving bad advice but if I had that problem I’d drill out one of the holes to 15 mm. If that caused a imbalance I’d drill another hole on the opposite side of the disc. Cue indignant outrage. JJH
Really, ?
:nono

You obviously don’t remember when disks had no holes in them. And brakes didn’t work ln the rain. JJH

I think you are .... drilling a larger hole in a disc will take the hole closer to the other holes, less metal, thus increasing the possibility of a crack starting between them :blast

You obviously don’t remember when disks had no holes in them. And brakes didn’t work ln the rain. JJH
I do, but what? We should all take a Black and Decker to them to make them modern....?

This is getting off topic as it's all irrelevant now anyway, (fortunately) the op hasn't taken your advice and thankfully, doesn't feel the need to do so but in the meantime, please post up a pic of your diy drilled discs for our amusement....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

There’s no need to drill discs any more as they come pre drilled. As Mickey says if you were to get too close to another hole would be a bad idea but that’s common sense. Back in the 70s you could get discs drilled or slotted to try to improve brake performance in the wet. It was the improvement of pad material that finally sorted the problem. Funny how discs are still drilled or turned into petals. JJH

Yes but not normally diy and suggesting to do so is pretty poor advice.

Disc...Disc....Disc, FFS.

DISC
I'm sure that would be the sound of a punter desperately seeking a disc disc discount on replacement discs after being laughed out of the showroom for a warranty claim!

You know that the Oxford Patriot disk lock goes into the space between the brake disc and brake disc carrier.
I hadn't realised this, so thanks. For some reason I had convinced myself that it needed to fit through one of the holes in the disc.

Thanks for all suggestions and help, appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom