loud 'Click' from RHS head every so often when hot.... whats the cost?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m getting a loud ‘click’ and the engine stumbles... I first thought it was coming from a valve block or something under the tank, but do now think its RHS de-compression thing catching every now and again.

Only does it when the bike is warm and when standing at lights etc... 10 revs and a click, stumble.... 10 revs and a click, stumble... and so on... think its classic decompressor thing..

So I’ve taken it in for BMW to have a look at. Bike out of warranty (2015) but only done 14K with full BMWSH... they will take a look for free ;)

I know there is a new exhaust cam they can fit that has a weaker spring (I think) so the de-compressor flings out sooner and stays out at 1000 rpm...

Has anyone had the upgrade.. does it work?

Or, what happens if you leave it to click... is it detrimental at all over time?

They think they can get BMW to contribute... but what do you think this is going to cost if I have it done... what labour time is involved?

Not good :blast

Guess this is what I'm on about.. posted by Smogbob before... https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/14-maintenance-modifications/35433-r1200gs-lc-engine-tick-solved.html

Has no one in the UK had this done outside warranty?

Yes.. did see your posts I think....
mine is a 2015, so 1 year out I guess... just wondering what the cost will be ... but if it does not fix it... is it worth doing??..

My "new to me" 2014 GSA (4k miles) does this too.
I find the engine really noisy anyway, but this intermittent tapping at tickover is really bugging me.
I've got a 2 year approved warranty on the bike, so I took it in. I've been assured that it's a "characteristic of the engine and it's ok."
Not happy. Right side only... Would new cams fix this?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

where did you take the bike?.. mine was from Chester BMW and they should have done it for the last owner but didn't.. then he PX it. It's the de-compresion bit that has a stronger spring than it should have, pulling it in at tickover instead of 500 rpm say.. in theory over time, the spring may lose some strength, so it will do it less?
I think the new cam they fit is the same unit with a weaker spring so it allows the unit to fly out and stay out at lower RPM...
It is annoying and they all do it.. I'm still awaiting feedback on what they can offer me ... fingers crossed :)

So.. update on the RHS click... I've just been to the dealer and the 'lad' was on the desk... he'll tell you everything where as others are a bit more reserved.
When I took the bike in, they said they'd not spend a penny without letting me know, so fingers crossed that still aplies as I've not authorised them to do any work other than inspect.
So today I'm told it is the RHS de-compressor making the click, AND , so far they have replaced the LHS inlet and exhause cam!.. they will do the RHS next week as they are waiting for bits.
So a total new set of cams?... what was up with the old ones, I don't know.. or is it a case of replacing the RHS exhaust, they have to replace the lot?..

Good news. Keep us updated on the final outcome.
It was Williams that fobbed me off.
Maybe I take it to Chester to get a second opinion.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

My bike is at Shipley.. 2015 and 12 months out of warranty... Lets see what they say?... TBH if it was going to cost I'd have put up with the click... But looks like they are doing it?

My bike is at Shipley.. 2015 and 12 months out of warranty... Lets see what they say?... TBH if it was going to cost I'd have put up with the click... But looks like they are doing it?

I get the feeling that they’ve not done a recall but they seem to be fixing them on a case by case basis even outside of the warranty period :nenau

well, if you've got one that needs doing, I'd sugest getting it in to be done...

BTW, did you get yours sorted.. did it go back in and is it okay now?.. why didn't it sound right... still the lout click sound there or other noises now??

Okay.. bike now back, and the click appears to have gone, so good news there although I've not had it red hot yet as its so cold :mmmm

Anyway.. what I've been told is not right on a few fronts... so here is the final, and I hope correct, version.

They have repaced the cam on the RHS... I'm sure they said exhaust... but isn't the decompresser on the inlet?.. maybe not?
they have replaced the left camshaft sprockets and rhe right cam shaft sprocketts
checked valve clearance
checked tooth backlash
adjusted left valve clearance

As the bike was 12 months out of warranty they have charged me 20% of the full cost.. total £114 plus vat... so guess I'm happy with that...
Lets hope the 'click' is solved?... :)

Well picked the bike up today, I’ve been away for a while so left it with them

They’ve changed the left hand camshaft sprocket, axle, intermediate shaft and the cam chain tensioner just for good measure

Finally sounds as it should, a lot quieter than when it was new !

BMW paid for the parts, 450€ and I paid the labour, 87€ as it is out of warranty

Hopefully that will be the last of it

Got part numbers if anyone needs them

Well picked the bike up today, I’ve been away for a while so left it with them

They’ve changed the left hand camshaft sprocket, axle, intermediate shaft and the cam chain tensioner just for good measure

Finally sounds as it should, a lot quieter than when it was new !

BMW paid for the parts, 450€ and I paid the labour, 87€ as it is out of warranty

Hopefully that will be the last of it

Got part numbers if anyone needs them

And many moan about BMW service, very honest of them, good result....;)

hope it solves the problem.. they did the cam gears on mine and when cold its much quieter now.. used to get a kind of pinking sound until it warmed up.. most of that has gone, and the click I've not had since.. happy days :)

That’s what the sale of goods act is for...used it several times. No debate , just fixed.People are too easy to handover hard earned cash and they play to this .

+1 ... agreed

Back
Top Bottom