Ktm 1290 super adventure r failing fork chrome

cbrgaz

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with the chroming on their fork slider failing?
I've had my ktm for roughly 2 months now and whilst washing it today noticed some surface rust on the inner side of the sliders.
The rust doesn't look like it has developed from stone chips and looks more like pores in the chrome that is allowing the rust to develop.
I'm getting my local dealer to look at it whilst it's in for a service.
Just thought I'd check on here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Cheers

Garry

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

Nope.

Sold mine recently but it still looked like new. Sounds very odd as KTM build quality is normally in a different league to the likes of BMW

Well just a quick update, I went to my local dealership who took a look at my forks and they are going to replace both sliders under warranty..... No arguments, no complaints.

Apparently there are a couple of isolated occurrences of this issue, so I'm not thinking it will be an on going issue.

Had the bike serviced whilst it was in getting checked and loved the attention to detail the mechanic gave the bike and even came out to have a chat with me.

Anyone near the Cumbria area, I can highly recommend Triple D ktm in kendal. Had nothing but brilliant service from them.

Since the Rocket Centre in Blackburn closed down I have been using Colwyn Bay.

I had spoken to Triple D prior to going to Colwyn to ask if they could service my 1290R and they told me they could not as they were not recognised KTM approved for the larger sized road bikes.

Has this changed recently that you know of ?

Since the Rocket Centre in Blackburn closed down I have been using Colwyn Bay.

I had spoken to Triple D prior to going to Colwyn to ask if they could service my 1290R and they told me they could not as they were not recognised KTM approved for the larger sized road bikes.

Has this changed recently that you know of ?
Yes they are a full ktm dealership now. They serviced my bike with no issues.

Seems like this Monkeyguy had problems with this
From his Vladivostok RR

I've done 3 big trips on 2 different 1190 Adventures, and so far its scoring 100%. 100% failure rate that is. 2016 the immobiliser transponder failed in no mans land just outside the Laos border. Truck..ship...dealer...£1000 thanks very much. 2017 the chrome on the forks decided it was no longer necessary, wore through a couple of days before reaching Everest base camp and spent the next 5000 miles pissing oil out all over the brakes. £500 hard re-chrome and rebuild ... first ride .. some bastards nick the bike out of a pub car park. I've had better days.. So, another 1190 is bought, an R this time. 18k and a full service history. Replace the bits the scum nicked with the old bike, fit the panniers, get some visas and fuck off east. What could possibly go wrong... it's a KTM after all ... so virtually anything really. Still, it's not a holiday is it. It's an ADVENTURE!

Well have both sliders replaced under warranty, no hassle involved. Got a 790 duke as a loan bike whilst the work was being carried out...... I can't wait to have a go on the 790 adventure as the engine is superb in the duke.

Back
Top Bottom