Ready to Buy a GS1200 LC

Martyleeds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I've been looking around for a while now and I've finally decided I'm going to buy a GS1200 LC. I've seen a 2013 (13 plate) with 35k miles and panniers, no sat nav for 7495 and should be able to get a bit knocked off in negotiations. But I'm wondering if it's worth adding 2k and going for a 14 plate as I've read there are some stability issues with the early 2013 models not having a steering damper. The best prices I can find on 2014 TE's are around 9.5k so quite a jump in cost. My max budget is about 9.5k. Just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on which way to go. TIA
Martin

Of the early LC's are would target a 2013 with the lighter flywheel. They feel much more lively.

Of the early Lc the model with no steering damper & light flywheel I would want a long road test & a very good warranty, check the clutch clears correctly at junctions & gearchange..
also sounds a bit expensive with 35k on it.
I doubt a bmw main dealer would charge that much

Thanks for the tips snaponphil :thumb2
A main dealer wouldn't touch a 2013 bike with that many miles they would trade it out, they wouldn't put a warranty on it and they have to. They would however sell a bike with half that mileage for 2k more with no accessories, just check out autotrader. I appreciate the 2 year warranty and if they sold bikes with accessories I'd probably look at a main dealer but in my limited experience when you trade your bike to them they strip all the non standard stuff off and sell it on ebay and sell the bike as standard.

Hi all,
So I've been looking around for a while now and I've finally decided I'm going to buy a GS1200 LC. I've seen a 2013 (13 plate) with 35k miles and panniers, no sat nav for 7495 and should be able to get a bit knocked off in negotiations. But I'm wondering if it's worth adding 2k and going for a 14 plate as I've read there are some stability issues with the early 2013 models not having a steering damper. The best prices I can find on 2014 TE's are around 9.5k so quite a jump in cost. My max budget is about 9.5k. Just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on which way to go. TIA

Stability Issues? Possibly. My 2013 GS LC has aftermarket steering damper fitted (by previous owner) So maybe factor in the cost of an ASD - would still cost significantly less than a BM dealer bike, albeit that would have the 2 year warranty

I also have the early flywheel, cannot say this is an issue at all although have not ridden a later bike to compare

Best
Andrew

I wouldn't buy a GS with the lighter flywheel, I test rode one but I don't think they are anywhere near as smooth as the later bikes.

No stability issues with my 2013 LC.

No corrosion either. Also not subject to the fork recall/ collar issue.

Gear change a bit clunky into first though.

Thanks for the tips snaponphil :thumb2
A main dealer wouldn't touch a 2013 bike with that many miles they would trade it out, they wouldn't put a warranty on it and they have to. They would however sell a bike with half that mileage for 2k more with no accessories, just check out autotrader. I appreciate the 2 year warranty and if they sold bikes with accessories I'd probably look at a main dealer but in my limited experience when you trade your bike to them they strip all the non standard stuff off and sell it on ebay and sell the bike as standard.

I meant to imply pop to Bmw dealers as they are (sometimes) reasonable on their used bikes, also they don’t all strip goodies off as they can’t be arsed. I usually remove extras before trading in anyway, anything I don’t need I place in the for sale section here, sold loads, bought loads, never a problem getting paid or paying, site works well.

I'd agree with that and personally wait a few more months and you'll see more LCs coming onto the used Market. For your budget you could buy a 2014 gsa (I've seen a few locally just under the £10K mark in recent months albeit with 20K plus miles). The 2014/2015 GS TE is worth a look too. However, I found the lighter crank/flywheel versions a little too twitchy and flighty and much preferred the later heavier flywheel models. They just ride more smoothly. The gsa is more relaxed to ride thanks partly to the 1 degree shallower steering head angle too. I wanted one bike to replace a couple (one being my local fun bike and one my tourer), and for me it was worth the wait for the right GSA to come along.

Hi new too the forum, but picking up a 2015 GS 1200 TE with 12000 miles, full service history with main service just done. Top box (no panniers) keyless and engine bars for £10,300. From main dealer. He has given me £3,000 For my old bike which is absolutely top £. So without PX I think at least £750 would have come off.
Worth looking about and chancing a few offers.

Hi I purchased a 2013 GS1200LC with 9800 miles on the clock and a 2 year BMW warranty from Coopers Sunderland at a cost of £8900 early this year which I thought was reasonable.
I have no rust or stability issues but as said by others the change into 1st is noisier than my 20 year old Harley, saying that it does not do it every time as sometimes its a perfect shift.

Back
Top Bottom