Replacement/Louder horn

stu1969

Reaction score
I'd like to fit a new/louder horn on my 08 R1200GS. Are there any issues to be aware of or will the cambus system cope?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You might have to run the new horn through a relay and use the original horn wiring as the trigger for the relay.

I fitted a Denali sound bomb, the one with the separate compressor, I was initially worried about clearance with the front mudguard, but I’ve had no problems at all.

Compressor fitted in a large hole inside the tank, the horn under the nose cone.
ab9fa0895767804c501d5e4104eb3d6f.png

And it’s loud.
b1ab69ed656ca61a18d914adef5e6a6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like wot he said.

Safer to power through a relay. No point having a LOUD horn if it does sfa when you really need it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Agree, I forgot to mention it came with a relay and full wiring kit.

I couldn't be bothered to wire in and fit the sound bomb so I fitted the mini sound bomb. No extra wiring. Had to remove the BMW connector and solder two spade connectors but fits in the same location with existing wiring and far louder than original part. Simple and effective upgrade

I couldn't be bothered to wire in and fit the sound bomb so I fitted the mini sound bomb. No extra wiring. Had to remove the BMW connector and solder two spade connectors but fits in the same location with existing wiring and far louder than original part. Simple and effective upgrade

I was looking at getting one of these for my hexhead. Someone said there are not really any more db but sound a lot deeper/louder - is that correct ?

My one is like a lorry horn!!! Its a different sound but I do think it’s very loud definitely makes people jump

A BMW 5 series car horn will fit ( not sure what model year/s though) and it even has the correct connector for the bike and it will not need any relays either There is a choice of low or high tone If you look on youtube there is a how to fit video You could get one from a breakers yard or ebay for not much money Hth

This one apparently

[New VEM Air And Electric Horn V20-77-0005-1 Top German Quality https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192557007162[/URL]

I was looking at getting one of these for my hexhead. Someone said there are not really any more db but sound a lot deeper/louder - is that correct ?

No, it's much louder and it's deeper. Night and day vs original horn, and it's more than enough for a bike. Turns heads whenever I use it. For price and simplicity of installation I think it's a no-brainer over other options

Update

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9H_k2epezXg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's similar to the mini soundbomb. only thing to add is to point aperture down to prevent water being retained

A BMW 5 series car horn will fit ( not sure what model year/s though) and it even has the correct connector for the bike and it will not need any relays either There is a choice of low or high tone If you look on youtube there is a how to fit video You could get one from a breakers yard or ebay for not much money Hth

Car horns are generally louder as they are (usually) sited inside a well insulated engine compartment. Costs from a breakers are 2p.

Can anyone with a Soundbomb Mini take a picture of the fitting.
It won’t fit straight into the BMW mounting plate so I tried the extender plates that come with it but - it’s either so lower that it’s visible below the beak or if I mount it out is sight it hits the forks on lock.

Back
Top Bottom