Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 GS Advice required

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

2010 GS Advice required

Hi all,

Iím new here, and on the look out for an R1200GS. Itís going to be a daily bike, so I want to go as new and low mileage as possible within my 6k budget.

Unfortunately thereís nothing local so Iím looking at dealers online with the intention of getting the bike delivered and Iíve seen a bike that I really like. A 2010 with only 20k miles and the dealer has been really good, sending me videos and images, and this is when I notices some light corrosion around the rear axle as shown in the picture. Thereís some other mild flaking of paint on the ďcrash barsĒ mostly underneath which leads me to think itís had off road use (maybe aligns with the low miles too).

So Iím after advise as to whether itís worth it (at 6.5k) or whether I should steer clear.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 2010 will be a Twin Cam Ö Do you definitely want a TC ?

TC's for that sort of money tend to be a bit rough & ready unless you get lucky

For £6k or slightly less you could get a really nice 08-09 MU bike with luggage
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    1993 Ducati 888 SP5
    1978 Suzuki GT250C
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)

If the dealer is offering a 2010 at that price I wouldn't buy it unseen and without a test ride.

Maybe you could stretch your budget a tad (and haggle) and LincsGSer has a good looking 2010 GS advertised on here. Have a look in the for sale section. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment so don't rush in. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice 'n' Fat View Post
    A 2010 will be a Twin Cam Ö Do you definitely want a TC ?

TC's for that sort of money tend to be a bit rough & ready unless you get lucky

For £6k or slightly less you could get a really nice 08-09 MU bike with luggage
    Iím not sure if I want a TwinCam or not. Maybe I need to do a bit more research.

Whatís MU mean? Sorry for the bone questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScot View Post
    If the dealer is offering a 2010 at that price I wouldn't buy it unseen and without a test ride.

Maybe you could stretch your budget a tad (and haggle) and LincsGSer has a good looking 2010 GS advertised on here. Have a look in the for sale section. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment so don't rush in. Good luck with your search.
    Ooooh. Nice pointer. Iíve made contact!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    Iím not sure if I want a TwinCam or not. Maybe I need to do a bit more research.

Whatís MU mean? Sorry for the bone questions.

Twin Cams (which came out in 2010) will fetch a premium over the earlier models

04-07 are basically the same bike then in 08 there was a MU (Model Upgrade) which is easy to spot as the bikes had the aluminium insert in the front section of the tank and grey rocker box covers. I believe I'm correct in saying that they got a slight power increase and an improved gearbox for those two model years
    1993 Ducati 888 SP5
    1978 Suzuki GT250C

Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
    Hi all,

Iím new here, and on the look out for an R1200GS. Itís going to be a daily bike, so I want to go as new and low mileage as possible within my 6k budget.

Unfortunately thereís nothing local so Iím looking at dealers online with the intention of getting the bike delivered and Iíve seen a bike that I really like. A 2010 with only 20k miles and the dealer has been really good, sending me videos and images, and this is when I notices some light corrosion around the rear axle as shown in the picture. Thereís some other mild flaking of paint on the ďcrash barsĒ mostly underneath which leads me to think itís had off road use (maybe aligns with the low miles too).

So Iím after advise as to whether itís worth it (at 6.5k) or whether I should steer clear.

Thanks in advance

Iíd steer clear of that one, corrosion far too bad in my opinion - you should buy my 2015, 30,000 mile bike from Balderston in Peterborough, itís in far, far better condition that the one in your pic and will come with new tyres and a 2 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    I’d steer clear of that one, corrosion far too bad in my opinion - you should buy my 2015, 30,000 mile bike from Balderston in Peterborough, it’s in far, far better condition that the one in your pic and will come with new tyres and a 2 year warranty.
    I'd love to, but if yours is the one I think it is, its over budget and doesn't have luggage!

You kind of answered the question yourself as if you already spotted that and not sure about it then you certainly wont be happy when the novelty wears off. Its pricey for a 2010 TC if its not mint I think even with luggage if it had it of course. I would look around as there are some mint bikes fully loaded for not much more.

Yeah, I think I was a bit too keen to start with. Ive done a bit more research now and I know what I can reasonably afford without stretching the budget too much.

2010 GS Advice required

Ahhh... now the dilemma has got even bigger. I decided to take a trip to Balderstone this afternoon to take a look at a mint 2012 GS Rallye. It was more than originally budgeted, but I was willing to go for it with the warranty and dealer backup etc. Unfortunately it was being sold as I walked in there and I was genuinely gutted. Iíd already envisioned putting the deposit down.

Then because I was there I took a look around and sat on a couple of bikes (including yours ďEngineerĒ) and thatís when it got serious. I took a 2014 out for a spin and loved it. Itís another 2k on top of the 2012 Rallye but Iím really thinking about dropping a deposit tomorrow. I like the extra tech and cruise control is something Iíve often wanted (and I use all the time in the car).

Iím thinking thatís itís an investment. They hold their value pretty well and I can balance the commuter mileage with my little 250. Have I already convinced myself? Can anyone talk me out of it? Do I need a BMW warranty?

Ahhh... now the dilemma has got even bigger. I decided to take a trip to Balderstone this afternoon to take a look at a mint 2012 GS Rallye. It was more than originally budgeted, but I was willing to go for it with the warranty and dealer backup etc. Unfortunately it was being sold as I walked in there and I was genuinely gutted. Iíd already envisioned putting the deposit down.

Then because I was there I took a look around and sat on a couple of bikes (including yours ďEngineerĒ) and thatís when it got serious. I took a 2014 out for a spin and loved it. Itís another 2k on top of the 2012 Rallye but Iím really thinking about dropping a deposit tomorrow. I like the extra tech and cruise control is something Iíve often wanted (and I use all the time in the car).

Iím thinking thatís itís an investment. They hold their value pretty well and I can balance the commuter mileage with my little 250. Have I already convinced myself? Can anyone talk me out of it? Do I need a BMW warranty?

I've had my moneys worth many times over on my 2010 RT and it still has a year left on the warranty. Therefore I'm definitely fully behind the AUB warranty. Sounds to me like you're making a good decision. I don't the the LC GS's everywhere in Scotland for nothing. Any pics?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Ahhh... now the dilemma has got even bigger. I decided to take a trip to Balderstone this afternoon to take a look at a mint 2012 GS Rallye. It was more than originally budgeted, but I was willing to go for it with the warranty and dealer backup etc. Unfortunately it was being sold as I walked in there and I was genuinely gutted. I’d already envisioned putting the deposit down.

Then because I was there I took a look around and sat on a couple of bikes (including yours “Engineer”) and that’s when it got serious. I took a 2014 out for a spin and loved it. It’s another 2k on top of the 2012 Rallye but I’m really thinking about dropping a deposit tomorrow. I like the extra tech and cruise control is something I’ve often wanted (and I use all the time in the car).

I’m thinking that’s it’s an investment. They hold their value pretty well and I can balance the commuter mileage with my little 250. Have I already convinced myself? Can anyone talk me out of it? Do I need a BMW warranty?

Shame you don't fancy a Twin Cam GSA Triple Black with luggage ?

Got a mate in the trade who is just taking in a 2012 bike with 1500 miles on the clock

He's looking for £9500
    1993 Ducati 888 SP5
    1978 Suzuki GT250C

Quote Originally Posted by Nice 'n' Fat View Post
    Shame you don't fancy a Twin Cam GSA Triple Black with luggage ?

Got a mate in the trade who is just taking in a 2012 bike with 1500 miles on the clock

He's looking for £9500
    Mate who works for BMW? Whereís it going to be?

In fact, I just re-read and noticed hijab said GSA. Iím too short for one of those!!

In fact, I just re-read and noticed hijab said GSA. Iím too short for one of those!!

Also autocorrected to Hijab. Doesnít even make sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast