Optimate charging

smally

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an optimate 4 which I believe is can bus friendly and I have a lead that I took of the last battery I had on my 04gs. I take it I can just connect this to the new 1200lc and connect up? the lead stays on full time.

I have an optimate 4 which I believe is can bus friendly and I have a lead that I took of the last battery I had on my 04gs. I take it I can just connect this to the new 1200lc and connect up? the lead stays on full time.

Exactly that, the canbus is only when you use the extension lead with a Din Hela socket on the end, otherwise just connect your pigtail lead to your battery and that will be perfect, that is what I do, however if you want to use the Optimate 4 in canbus mode with the din hela socket, you have to put the Optimate in Canbus mode.

I have bought optimate 4 dual program and would like to charge my gsa 1200 my 2018 via the socket close to the dashboard. However I do not understand at all how to do it. The optimate manual is a mess.

Lähetetty minun SM-G950F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I have bought optimate 4 dual program and would like to charge my gsa 1200 my 2018 via the socket close to the dashboard. However I do not understand at all how to do it. The optimate manual is a mess.

it is quite simple.

First you have to establish if the Optimate is in the CAN-Bus mode:

Simply connect the Optimate to the mains, without hooking it up to anything.
If only the Powerlight (top left corner) lights up, the Optimate is in the non-CAN-bus mode.
If the Powerlight lights up, and the lower center lights are flashing, the Optimate is already in the CAN bus mode.

To change mode, disconnect the charger from mains, hook up the battery-clamps and connect them to each other, I.e short-circuit the output.
Then, while the output is shorted, connect the charger to mains. Wait 10 seconds, and disconnect the clamps.

The charger is now in the desired mode, and will stay in this mode until shorted again.
Connect the DIN output to the charger and connect the charger to the bike.

Do this first

Thank you all for the advice. Now charging well. The bike is new and has the original battery. I suppose it is lead battery.

Thank you all for the advice. Now charging well. The bike is new and has the original battery. I suppose it is lead battery.

Your welcome, but as most do, we put a pigtail lead directly on the battery and charge it through that, it charges the battery for sure, sometimes that canbus plug acts a little strange, and is useful to connect a small compressor in the event of a puncture, just a thought.

Yes I use an Optimate direct connection lead to the battery. Too much faffing about to do this via can bus.

As for the can bus connection. There isn't enough power given out to operate a small compressor. It just cuts out after 2 seconds. Or at least, that's what it does on an F800GS.

[QUOTE

As for the can bus connection. There isn't enough power given out to operate a small compressor. It just cuts out after 2 seconds. Or at least, that's what it does on an F800GS.[/QUOTE]
same on the 1200 gs too ,the socket won't allow anything over 5 amps . so tyre pressures etc all out of the question . for this connect a socket direct to the battery

Thanks fellas for all your great info. When I was looking through the optimal box I found the can bus lead!!! but have the bike all sorted and lead directly to battery so thats the way it'll stay!.

I bought an Optimate 4 today to charge my 2016 GSA via the Canbus socket. Well, it is the Wunderlich version from Nippy Norman, but am assured its is the same and the manual is for the Optimate 4.

It is in the Canbus mode as described above and the two lower lights are flashing, which the manual says is STEP 1. The problem is that it doesnt seem to go into STEP 2 to actually charge the battery. Any advice? I have checked the connections and all seem good.

As many here will tell you. Just use an Optimate lead connected direct to the battery. A much more reliable system.

I bought an Optimate 4 today to charge my 2016 GSA via the Canbus socket. Well, it is the Wunderlich version from Nippy Norman, but am assured its is the same and the manual is for the Optimate 4.

It is in the Canbus mode as described above and the two lower lights are flashing, which the manual says is STEP 1. The problem is that it doesnt seem to go into STEP 2 to actually charge the battery. Any advice? I have checked the connections and all seem good.

first time I tried mine it did not work so I clipped the croc clips to the battery.

I had another go last weekend and it worked fine on both bikes, RS & XR. I connected up everything and the last thing I did was to switch on the mains power. Are you doing this last? I also give the plug a twist when putting it onto the socket - quarter turn one way then back. This will make sure any slight oxide layer in the contacts is scraped off.

Back
Top Bottom