Potholes on the A 832 Scottich Highlands.

Appy

Reaction score
Just a warning to any of you planning the NC 500 or a trip to the Highlands and the West Coast. The A 832 between Lochluichart and Loch a Chuilinn is verging on dangerous. Rode over to Torridon last weekend and some of the potholes are at least 8 inches deep and 18 inches across. if you hit one at speed there is a good chance you will be thrown off your bike. The problem is there are lots of temporary repairs so lots of black patches are visible. Some are craters!! Basically if you are riding from Garve to Achnasheen take care anywhere the woods come close to the road. Safe riding to you all.

If, as stated it is now in a dangerous condition, may I urge you to report the areas to Highland Council. Mention how dangerous it is for a motorcycle and how there could be an accident due to the roads poor condition.

If nobody does anything, nothing gets fixed, and should someone have an accident, then it'll be claimed " we never knew"
Just a warning to any of you planning the NC 500 or a trip to the Highlands and the West Coast. The A 832 between Lochluichart and Loch a Chuilinn is verging on dangerous. Rode over to Torridon last weekend and some of the potholes are at least 8 inches deep and 18 inches across. if you hit one at speed there is a good chance you will be thrown off your bike. The problem is there are lots of temporary repairs so lots of black patches are visible. Some are craters!! Basically if you are riding from Garve to Achnasheen take care anywhere the woods come close to the road. Safe riding to you all.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Just come back from doing the NC500, ended up driving over 2k miles in two weeks, absolutely fabulous landscape.
I took a Hymer motorhome with a heavy duty chassis,leaf springs front and back.
Most of the roads were ok, but some have received a real battering.
I wonder what the locals think about the NC500 publicity, and the hordes of people invading their countryside, and whether there is a significant financial benefit for them.

I tried to fill up with diesel every day and spend money in the area we stopped at but were we where going and staying it was difficult as most places had a village shop and that was it.
I suppose my point is the interest in touring highlands seams to have skyrocketed but the roads were not laid for such heavy traffic.

Varying opinions on it (like everything).

B&Bs, and hotels are enjoying a huge increase in revenues, local businesses the same, I suspect.

Those with no financial interest - probably resent it to hell!

I missed that section of road this last weekend (rode the 896 via Torridon then left on 832 alongside Loch Maree) and was pleasantly surprised at how good the road surfaces were after reading all the doom and gloom stories on here.

B&Bs, and hotels are enjoying a huge increase in revenues, local businesses the same, I suspect.

My Cousin lives near Torridon. Apart from the visitors that don't know how to drive on single track roads and potter along at 20 mph with him stuck behind them not letting him overtake, a lot of the B&B are run by retired or semi-retired couples of advancing years and a lot of the extra business is people staying for just one night and that adds a lot of work. So there is a fair bit of talk about stopping the B&B or cutting down on the number of guests because they don't need the grief. So it will be interesting to see what happens if the interest in the 500 continues.
What they do resent are the people who get to Inverness, rent a motorhome, go to Tesco and stock up on Diesel and food and then drive round the 500 without contributing anything but a road block or worst case dumping their rubbish and chemical toilets in laybys.

... What they do resent are the people who get to Inverness, rent a motorhome, go to Tesco and stock up on Diesel and food and then drive round the 500 without contributing anything but a road block or worst case dumping their rubbish and chemical toilets in laybys.
... and spilling diesel on the roads cos they don’t know how to fill them ......

What they do resent are the people who get to Inverness, rent a motorhome, go to Tesco and stock up on Diesel and food and then drive round the 500 without contributing anything but a road block or worst case dumping their rubbish and chemical toilets in laybys.

That has been pretty much my understanding of how things are. Spent 5 days during the Summer in the far NW staying at b&bs and they told the same story, roads are becoming in a terrible state and council not repairing them, hundreds of campers vans blocking roads yet spending nothing in the area.

Potholes

If, as stated it is now in a dangerous condition, may I urge you to report the areas to Highland Council. Mention how dangerous it is for a motorcycle and how there could be an accident due to the roads poor condition.

If nobody does anything, nothing gets fixed, and should someone have an accident, then it'll be claimed " we never knew"

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Done and dusted. Lots of rain last couple of days so avoid any big puddles!!

There are increasing demands on the tourist infrastructure up here, partly due to the success of the NC500, partly because of the popularity of campervans and a general increase in tourism in Scotland as a whole. Happy days for me, I own a B&B, and no, you can't stay for just one night.:p

The government needs to keep open public toilets, have bins and dumpstations for the caravanners and invest in carparks at major attractions. The roads aren't that bad really, no worse than anywhere else and some are in great condition, although given the number of EU signs around I suspect in the longer term things will get worse. It doesn't help that several single track roads are labled as A roads which may encourage heavier traffic than the road can cope with.

Although I hate campervans with a passion that could power a small town, I can understand why people use them up here as accommodation options can be limited away from the larger towns, especially if you want to take it slowly. Just so long as they pull over smartly when I come up behind, and don't park fucking sideways on to any view obscuring it for the rest of us.

Sad to see the comments in this weeks MCN re roofing tacks being found on various sections of the A836.

We did the NC in 2016 and all the b&b and hotel / restaurant staff were pleased with the increase in tourism.

Clearly someone isnt, and it will be a few sad individuals

Steve

Tourism in general has increased NC500 and Skye is full Fort Bill are charging massive rates for accommodation, not missing a chance prices are getting very high. We stopped at Nancys in Sheildaig. 1 coffee, 2 teas, 2 pieces of cake and 1 millionaire shortbread £25. Thought it was a bit cheeky!

Travelled from Gairloch on Sunday and indeed the holes are getting bad again.

Tourism in general has increased NC500 and Skye is full Fort Bill are charging massive rates for accommodation, not missing a chance prices are getting very high. We stopped at Nancys in Sheildaig. 1 coffee, 2 teas, 2 pieces of cake and 1 millionaire shortbread £25. Thought it was a bit cheeky!

That's just taking the piss!
If tourism has increased then they'll all make more money but I object to being ripped off big time!

Two coffees and two slices of rather nice cake at The Bealach Cafe on Saturday was £10.65. They aren't all trying to rip you off. :thumb

Do you mean Nannys , use to be a little grey tin hut now redone with a veranda out front ? Think there may have been a mistake on your bill.

Agree about prices, but its the same everywhere in UK in the peak season. It also sells out too. Last year they stopped people going to Skye as there was no accommodation left.

Agree about prices, but its the same everywhere in UK in the peak season. It also sells out too. Last year they stopped people going to Skye as there was no accommodation left.

It's the same most popular places outside of Asia. Most independent operators are not making a massive amount of money, and they are all working bloody hard. Once the clocks go back your income goes off a cliff so you have to charge enough in the season to get through, and pay for all the refurbishments etc etc. (£3.5K spent by me today on a bathroom, aaargh!) If you want to avoid paying through the nose book early so you have the best choice.

Skye is full !

Last year they stopped people going to Skye as there was no accommodation left.

Pile of shite from a BBC non story

They quoted Poileas Alba as saying Skye was closed bursting at the seams

Poileas Alba tweeted that the story was factually incorrect and they had only said, if going to Skye and staying over book in advance and drive safely

If anyone here needs any help with accomodation gies a shout plenty about

Re potholes Adventure bikes

Back
Top Bottom