Anyone test-ridden the new 1250 GS yet ?

I was looking at some unregistered 1200’s at Allan Jeffries this afternoon and they still had Sachs rear ESA shock absorbers, whereas the 1250’s had ZF ones.

I knew ZF made gearboxes (like the automatic box in my 320d), but didn’t realise they made shock absorbers too.

Must be cost saving over the Sachs units

It's a cruel world .......

I was looking at some unregistered 1200’s at Allan Jeffries this afternoon and they still had Sachs rear ESA shock absorbers, whereas the 1250’s had ZF ones.

I knew ZF made gearboxes (like the automatic box in my 320d), but didn’t realise they made shock absorbers too.

Well they must be good at it as the suspension is great , better than the old version IMHO

Didn’t know they made suspension either but their auto boxes are the mutts

Personally I think the Sachs ESA is excellent too :nenau

I much prefer the ZF auto box in my 320d compared to the DSG box in my previous Golf.

I’m not a fan of the Sachs ESA as it was intermittently harsh on my 2014 GS LC from new before failing completely at 16k miles. The replacement needed recalibrating after a two-up tour of Ireland too after a few thousand miles.

I spent most of the day today on a 1250. It’s a big improvement over the 1200, with a noticeable increase in torque. The suspension seemed better than the previous bike as well.

I spent most of the day today on a 1250. It’s a big improvement over the 1200, with a noticeable increase in torque. The suspension seemed better than the previous bike as well.

So..... you gonna buy it :D

So..... you gonna buy it :D

Not sure yet. When I rode it this morning on motorways and greasy roads, I wasn’t that impressed. But after a couple of hours on the 1260, jumping back on the GS and firing it down some gnarly nadgery back roads, it excelled. I’d say that the GS has closed the gap slightly, but need to give it some thought as to whether I want another one or not.

Is this the suspension I only know mine as Sachs

Attachments

• D10EE81E-5339-4916-91B6-E73E83EB39B4.jpg
    D10EE81E-5339-4916-91B6-E73E83EB39B4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 775
Test rode the 1250 today...... Not that impressed at all I'm afraid.

If you're having a twin, you're having a twin, and not two cylinders trying to be four. I was glad to climb back on my 14 plate LC. If feels like a twin. The 1250 was quicker, but lifeless to me. The 8 - 9 grand is stopping in my pocket for now anyway. The gearbox with it's jumpy quickshifter was crappy and i preferred to change gear conventionally. It was fine however on the downshift. I could feel through my left foot that that was the old gearbox lurking under the gadgetry. i also prefer the suspension set up on the old bike, although this is perhaps due to the weight that the bike is loaded with, and with me being lightweight, I maybe didn't work it enough.

I also own the XR which is a four cylinder trying to be a four cylinder and doing it very well indeed. It will be very interesting to see how the 1250 progresses over the next few years. People love the boxer for its flat twin engine .... this newcomer was far too smooth for me. Having said all that, it's still a hell of a bike, and at 17k it bloody well ought to be! There are some hellish good bikes today for a lot less than that though.

Test rode the 1250 today...... Not that impressed at all I'm afraid.

If you're having a twin, you're having a twin, and not two cylinders trying to be four. I was glad to climb back on my 14 plate LC. If feels like a twin. The 1250 was quicker, but lifeless to me. The 8 - 9 grand is stopping in my pocket for now anyway. The gearbox with it's jumpy quickshifter was crappy and i preferred to change gear conventionally. It was fine however on the downshift. I could feel through my left foot that that was the old gearbox lurking under the gadgetry. i also prefer the suspension set up on the old bike, although this is perhaps due to the weight that the bike is loaded with, and with me being lightweight, I maybe didn't work it enough.

I also own the XR which is a four cylinder trying to be a four cylinder and doing it very well indeed. It will be very interesting to see how the 1250 progresses over the next few years. People love the boxer for its flat twin engine .... this newcomer was far too smooth for me. Having said all that, it's still a hell of a bike, and at 17k it bloody well ought to be! There are some hellish good bikes today for a lot less than that though.

Quickshifter is great.. If used correctly. Sounds like your using it as if makes the bike clutchless for all gear changes. It's meant for quickshifting whilst accelerating/decelerating quickly up/down the gearbox. Some people try and use all the time thinking it's there for a clutchless ride and wonder why it's jumpy :blast

What's different ?

Quickshifter is great.. If used correctly. Sounds like your using it as if makes the bike clutchless for all gear changes. It's meant for quickshifting whilst accelerating/decelerating quickly up/down the gearbox. Some people try and use all the time thinking it's there for a clutchless ride and wonder why it's jumpy :blast

Very happy with 1250 Exclusive-----except for one thing. Unable to set seat to a comfortable position. I've shifted seat to every possible position and still find that after an hour my back is hurting.
Previously had oil head and wet head GS and found them to be good. ----Not sure what to do.
Seem to be angled forward too much causing my back to arch. Need a solution.....if possible.

Comparing 2013 wc to this one---Well 2013 was a huge improvement on 2005 oil head, 1250 is similar improvement again. Well done BMW people!

Seating has changed.

Very happy with 1250 Exclusive-----except for one thing. Unable to set seat to a comfortable position. I've shifted seat to every possible position and still find that after an hour my back is hurting.
Previously had oil head and wet head GS and found them to be good. ----Not sure what to do.
Seem to be angled forward too much causing my back to arch. Need a solution.....if possible.

Comparing 2013 wc to this one---Well 2013 was a huge improvement on 2005 oil head, 1250 is similar improvement again. Well done BMW people!

Out of interest which seat option did you choose.

Strange, I went from a 2013 GS LC to a 1250 and found the seats to be almost the same

Strange, I went from a 2013 GS LC to a 1250 and found the seats to be almost the same

They did a comfort option when ordering , I ordered the comfort package but found the option seemed more like a low seat which was not comfortable , they changed then for the comfort high seats which are more padded and slightly higher , not tried it yet , but im sure it will be fine as I like a high seat. Standard height in low setting , higher in high setting

It's called comfort package, which gives you things like heated grips, but the seat is standard height two piece.
Bar risers sound a cheaper option...not sure how they'll fix it though.

Back
Top Bottom