Insurance is now availabe in the USA - October 2018

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
OK folks, after this years insurance debacle and the withdrawal of the main provider, I've found someone else who will provide cover.

They are based in Mexico and there website is here www.segurogringo.com and a contact email is fernando@segurogringo.com. I know a few guys who have taken out this insurance and they confirm it's all legal and above board but please note it is 3rd party only so it's up to you to decide if you have enough cover to feel comfortable on a trip in North America. If you apply, please notre he is a bit busy with applications but he will get back to you.

Until one of the main providers takes this on, this is the only option I know of at this time. People don't have too much of an issue taking this out in Central and South America and indeed in many parts of the world so it would bother me too much. More important to me is personal cover which is no problem.

Dairyland have pulled out for at least 2 years which is when the current CEO retires and he told me that he had no intention of reinstating it during his tenure. Most agents such as Motorcycle Express and Fernet used Dairlyland so they are also hunting high and low for someone to cover.

Obviously if this changes before people start planning for 2019 I will let everyone know.

Thank you.

I’ll make it a sticky.

Richard

PS Seguro Gringo! Love it.

PPS - Slight edit on title, just to put a date into it

I see, thanks. I did just contact Dairyland I'll see if they respond.

Everyone uses Dairyland and as I have said, they suddenly withdrew from the market at the end of May which caused all the issues.

are your trips back on schedule for next summer so Chris?

That’s a real bummer, was hoping to take my bike over to the US next year, to travel with my best mate from school, who now lives over there. Although third party only is now available, I wouldn’t take the risk with only third party cover.

That’s a real bummer, was hoping to take my bike over to the US next year, to travel with my best mate from school, who now lives over there. Although third party only is now available, I wouldn’t take the risk with only third party cover.

My feelers are out so don't give up yet.

One of the interesting things about this issue is many people will ride halfway around the world and into very remote areas with a spuriuos insurance bought on the border and think nothing of it!!

This is true , BUT the land of the free has more lawyers per square mile than most places on the planet :D

Right you are boatman and they pretty much run Washington so no good way to reign their actions in.

Although every driver in this country is required by law to carry insurance one of the most expensive line items on my policy is coverage for being hit by an uninsured motorist. Even so I'm amazed how reasonable my policy is.

I use Progressive and they give full cover but US insurance is complicated. I did not take out the uninsured motorist option nor the medical insurance and this cut my insurance from $850 to $280.

I am fully comprehensive for the bike if the issue is my fault .. thiers .. Hurricane .. Tornado .. Hail or Theft.

The uninured section is really to cover the insurance company in the case of a uninsured or under insured motorist (There are many in the USA) hitting you and for the medical and consequential impacts.

My annual travel insurance (Aviva) 100% covers me medically and consequencially when riding a motorcycle in the USA but is void if I do not have a helmet on. The medical insurance is a 1000 times more important than the bike coverage in the USA. You can replace GSA for $25k but a fix a broken leg would cost you $50k and anything more serious you can treble that and add some.

For Progressive all you need is your VIN number and an address .. no social security number. Visit the local Indian Postbox Etc and he will let you use their address for $25 a year and he email you if any papers arrive. Policies are all online now anyway and so is renewal.

For Progressive all you need is your VIN number and an address .. no social security number. Visit the local Indian Postbox Etc and he will let you use their address for $25 a year and he email you if any papers arrive. Policies are all online now anyway and so is renewal.

No offence Mike but that is missleading information. There has been a complete block on insurance for any bikes not registered in the USA and using a dodgy address will only end in tears if the worst happened. Not many people I know would be prepared to write off a 25k motorbike and run the gauntlet of the US justice system.

I spent 2 months last year going through all this with every company and drew a complete blank.

All is not lost though as I had conformation yesterday that Motorcycle Express will be back offering fully comp insurance for European bikes at the beginning of February. Watch this space.

Thanks for the update on this. We’re hoping to go at the end of April.

My previous experience back in 2016 was that the insurance bought in the US also covered us in Canada. I’m sure that Motorcycle Express will be able to clarify. Good news thoug, eh?

Nice one Chris, it's great your keeping an eye on this in the background, and I would not sign up to a mailbox number for insurance purposes, as you say, everything would be fine until something goes wrong, then you are well and truly...……………………..

James

Back
Top Bottom