Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hungary vignette fine

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    "Reasonable cause" is for safety related offences. Speeding, using a mobile phone etc. Which this is not.

I have been contacted by a national newspaper who will be running a short article in their consumer finances section. The way Euro Parking work is that they buy "debt" in the form of unpaid fines in bulk from the relevant agency in countries like Portugal, Norway, Ireland and Hungary. So the Hungarian motorways people have had their £4-ish from Euro Parking, which is why they are not interested in taking any money directly.

Euro Parking then hassle people for money on the basis that around 25% will pay if enough threatening letters are sent with the enormous mark-up on.

The threat of a summons is bogus. They "debt collection agency" is apparently one floor above their own address. But a summons could only be issued in, and be valid in, Hungary.

The paper will be having one of their legal team look at it, and it should make an interesting article. I had another letter arrive on Saturday, but refused to sign for it so it was taken back. The important thing is to not engage with them in any way.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hungary vignette fine

This is the only vignette sign I can find on Google maps. I didn’t see it and how would I pay anyway, I was already be on the motorway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

Quote Originally Posted by ContinentCruncher View Post
    "Reasonable cause" is for safety related offences. Speeding, using a mobile phone etc. Which this is not.

I have been contacted by a national newspaper who will be running a short article in their consumer finances section. The way Euro Parking work is that they buy "debt" in the form of unpaid fines in bulk from the relevant agency in countries like Portugal, Norway, Ireland and Hungary. So the Hungarian motorways people have had their £4-ish from Euro Parking, which is why they are not interested in taking any money directly.

Euro Parking then hassle people for money on the basis that around 25% will pay if enough threatening letters are sent with the enormous mark-up on.

The threat of a summons is bogus. They "debt collection agency" is apparently one floor above their own address. But a summons could only be issued in, and be valid in, Hungary.

The paper will be having one of their legal team look at it, and it should make an interesting article. I had another letter arrive on Saturday, but refused to sign for it so it was taken back. The important thing is to not engage with them in any way.

Totally wrong regarding ' reasonable cause' if you read the DVLA website , it also includes private parking enforcement companies as long as they are a member of the British Parking Association or the international Parking Community .

Reasonable cuase includes :-
    tracing person responsible for an accident
    tracing keeper of an abandonned vehicle
    tracing registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
    issuing parking tickets
    issuing trespass charge notices
    tracing persons responsible for driving off without paying for goods or services
    tracing people responsible for insurance fraud .

The agencies responsible for tracing drivers for safety related offences, use of a mobile, speeding etc all have direct access to the PNC to check vehicles and have no need to apply for vehicle keeper details via this service

Hungary vignette fine

So no mention of non payment of tolls then!

The more I look into this the more I’m convinced it’s non enforceable.
    It’s just whether I can bring myself to ignore it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Not very obvious, is it !

Expecting this to paid via a website is just a cheapskate way of getting revenue without paying for the costs of highly skilled, expensive toll booth attendants.....

Why don't they have a sign in English ? It is widely spoken to a very high standard in Europe and would be understood by huge numbers of tourists. A few signs could bring in big paybacks in vignette sales.

Whilst it appears to be fact that the DVLA disclose private data to third parties. They do this for profit charging for the service. I am not convinced that it is wholly legal. if British law enforcement want to use such data they need to complete a data protection form highlighting the offence of which is being investigated (or have a stringent data protection policy, with regular audits, that is followed by the officers with live access).

Furthermore what checks do they have in place to ensure the third party who they have just sold you private information to will treat the data lawfully and not disclose it to others........?

Don't get me wrong. If we speed, park illegally or fail to pay tolls then we should be fined but that should be done by the correct authority not some private company inflating the fines that are threatened. Just my thoughts. If I got collared departing the country and given a fine so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    This is the only vignette sign I can find on Google maps. I didn’t see it and how would I pay anyway, I was already be on the motorway!
    You can pay at most large fuel stations. By paying, you are covered for the previous 24 hrs too.
    Must admit, I only knew because I read a leaflet in a fuel stop.

If u google the companyit throws up loads of bad reviews,
    even on Trustpilot,it says its a sham company...

Quote Originally Posted by crumbles View Post
    If u google the companyit throws up loads of bad reviews,
    even on Trustpilot,it says its a sham company...
    Yes I've seen the reviews. It is a legitimate collection company but I doubt they can enforce payment for this particular offence.

For piece of mind I'll probably pay. I may want to go back to Hungary at some time + I could do without the worry.

The guy who was with me on his bike hasn't received anything, yet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12