Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungary vignette fine

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hungary vignette fine

Yes I know my fault for not checking but I’ve just received a fine for using the motorway in Hungary without a vignette.
    I wasn’t aware a vignette was necessary and I do normally check.
    The thing is, according to the AA website a leaflet should have been given to us at the border informing us of the need for a vignette and we certainly didn’t get this.
    The fine has been sent by a company in London called EPC Plc
    and is got £42.02 + £25.42 admin charge.

As I understand it it’s now best to pay and put it down to experience.

I’ll send an email informing them that I didn’t receive any notification that I should pay for a vignette at the border but doubt it get me anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

Pay or Viktor will come knocking on your door...........

I'd have got a similar fine if I'd gone as I'd not thought anyone other than the Swiss required it.....quick google reveals....

Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland require a vignette sticker for driving on principal motorways that are similar to U.S. Interstate highways. The motorist must purchase a different sticker for each country that requires it.

Didn't use one in the Czech Republic last year doh.

That's because you don't need one in a bike

So how do they know you did not have one.?

Hungary vignette fine

Quote Originally Posted by crumbles View Post
    So how do they know you did not have one.?
    I guess when you buy one your VRM is registered. I didn’t see anywhere to buy one. It was a border crossing.
    There are 3 pictures of my bike on a highway with a location taken from an overhead gantry camera.
    ANPR
    How would anyone unfamiliar with vignettes know they had to buy one!!!

you only need a vignette for motorways. You are on a bike on a tour of countries with fantastic roads. Don't go on the motorway.

I hope never to go hungary..............
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Quote Originally Posted by AustinW View Post
    you only need a vignette for motorways. You are on a bike on a tour of countries with fantastic roads. Don't go on the motorway.
    I usually avoid them but had to get past Zagreb and into Hungary fairly quickly. There are times when they’re useful.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinW View Post
    Totally agree; however, when we went to Switzerland last Summer, it was very handy being able to do 10 minutes on a motorway rather than 80 or 90 minutes over a mediocre pass at the back end of a long, hot days riding. It was worth the £30 or so it cost IMHO

Hmm I’ve even tried ringing the Hungarian authorities and trying to pay direct thus saving me the EPC fee but they say I must go through EPC

To avoid surprises arriving later, just use the AA European Touring website to check out each Country before you travel ........... https://www.theaa.com/european-break...try-by-country.

For instance, CZ only require a vignette for a vehicle with 4+ wheels these days.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    I also have had two letters from Euro Parking Collection plc, arrived on Friday 12th October. They are on behalf of the Nemzeti Utdijfizetesi Szolgaltato Zrt, for being on motorways in Hungary on 30-6-18 and 4-7-18. This was on a tour from the UK to Romania, and return, doing the Tranfagarasan. They demand HUF 14875 (£42.31) for each occasion, plus HUF 9000 (£25.60). A total of £137.62.
    We were unaware of the need for a vignette. I have purchased for Switzerland before, and asked on entry into Romania if one is required because there were signs at the border (we found out it is not required for a motorcycle ).
    The cost of a 10 day vignette is HUF 1470 (about £4.18), as I now know from research on the Net ! Problem is I was working on the assumption that if there was a change on motorways, there would be a toll booth to pay it at. So a clear case of ignorance.
    My first reaction is to ignore this as Euro Parking Collection are just a collection agent, but I think some EU directive came out in May 2017 saying that the UK, Ireland and Denmark, which previously would not allow other countries to access the DVLA database, now have to comply.
    Hungary gets round the problem by getting Euro Parking Collection to act as their agents, and the DVLA sells them registration details in a corrupt practice that contravenes data protection.
    Its probably not widely known about since it will only be a selection of long distance bike riders who get the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey B View Post
    Totally agree; however, when we went to Switzerland last Summer, it was very handy being able to do 10 minutes on a motorway rather than 80 or 90 minutes over a mediocre pass at the back end of a long, hot days riding. It was worth the £30 or so it cost IMHO
    Not even the price of a bottle of Rouge in Switzerland............

Quote Originally Posted by ContinentCruncher View Post
    I also have had two letters from Euro Parking Collection plc, arrived on Friday 12th October. They are on behalf of the Nemzeti Utdijfizetesi Szolgaltato Zrt, for being on motorways in Hungary on 30-6-18 and 4-7-18. This was on a tour from the UK to Romania, and return, doing the Tranfagarasan. They demand HUF 14875 (£42.31) for each occasion, plus HUF 9000 (£25.60). A total of £137.62.
    We were unaware of the need for a vignette. I have purchased for Switzerland before, and asked on entry into Romania if one is required because there were signs at the border (we found out it is not required for a motorcycle ).
    The cost of a 10 day vignette is HUF 1470 (about £4.18), as I now know from research on the Net ! Problem is I was working on the assumption that if there was a change on motorways, there would be a toll booth to pay it at. So a clear case of ignorance.
    My first reaction is to ignore this as Euro Parking Collection are just a collection agent, but I think some EU directive came out in May 2017 saying that the UK, Ireland and Denmark, which previously would not allow other countries to access the DVLA database, now have to comply.
    Hungary gets round the problem by getting Euro Parking Collection to act as their agents, and the DVLA sells them registration details in a corrupt practice that contravenes data protection.
    Its probably not widely known about since it will only be a selection of long distance bike riders who get the problem.
    DVLA providing them with keeper details is not corrupt , EPC as a legitimate agency have ' reasonable cause ' to be provided with the information as defined by the DVLA's own guidelines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast