Comparing with an S1000XR

FlyingPanda

Reaction score
Had an S1000XR whilst my GS Rallye was in for a software update today, and thought it would be really interesting to compare the two. But, jumping straight to the punchline, I didn’t like it much. I thought it would be a lighter, nippier, smoother thing than my big old lump, so it should be great, right?

Strangely it felt like a 500 rather than a 1,000. I didn’t really find the riding position quite right, it felt slightly uncomfortable although not bad, but I just didn’t gel with it all. On the wet and muck strewn roads around leafy Cheshire today I felt the rear break traction a couple of times, but when I came back the same way on the GS it just felt so much more planted and I’m sure I’d be quicker on the GS in most conditions unless absolutely harry flatters on a track.

So, a bit underwhelmed and I was left with this feeling of “I’m not really sure who this is for”.

Anyone else tried one?

It’s for people who want a faster, smoother load-carrier than the GS.

Not for you? Well - that’s why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

Stick to what you know and like

Had an S1000XR whilst my GS Rallye was in for a software update today, and thought it would be really interesting to compare the two. But, jumping straight to the punchline, I didn’t like it much. I thought it would be a lighter, nippier, smoother thing than my big old lump, so it should be great, right?

Strangely it felt like a 500 rather than a 1,000. I didn’t really find the riding position quite right, it felt slightly uncomfortable although not bad, but I just didn’t gel with it all. On the wet and muck strewn roads around leafy Cheshire today I felt the rear break traction a couple of times, but when I came back the same way on the GS it just felt so much more planted and I’m sure I’d be quicker on the GS in most conditions unless absolutely harry flatters on a track.

So, a bit underwhelmed and I was left with this feeling of “I’m not really sure who this is for”.

Anyone else tried one?

Chap who owned my 2015 before me had bought a s1000xr when I went to see him. Basicaly the same thing was said. in fact he looked at him old GS with green eyes saying he'd be back on a GS next time.
You'd expect a 4 cyl to be much better, but they are not... got to say, my GS will do for me fine.. but I do have my Son's R1 to play with as well ;)

They are very different bikes.

I didn't gel with the XR on my first ride but I have since bought one with lowered suspension and I really like it.

However, I have kept my R1200RS as well. I have not done many miles on the XR yet, so I might change my mind, but if going on a longer tour, I favour the boxer.

I think the mistake we make, if more familiar with big twins is short shift on the XR. It will do this quite happily and plod along. For boxer riders, taking a bike to 10,000 rpm is counter intuitive. The XR loves to be revved and if you change up only when you see that LED flashing you find the bike a little more engaging; or you are hoping there isn't anything hard in that hedge if your attention lapses. For me, it takes more effort to ride the XR, hence the RS being favoured for longer trips.

I prefer 4 cylinders (although currently 3!) on the track, and 2 on the road. To be honest though, if the XR felt like a 500 you weren’t revving it anywhere near enough, which is easily done after riding a boxer for a long time.

I didn't gel with the XR on my first ride but I have since bought one with lowered suspension and I really like it.

However, I have kept my R1200RS as well. I have not done many miles on the XR yet, so I might change my mind, but if going on a longer tour, I favour the boxer.

I think the mistake we make, if more familiar with big twins is short shift on the XR. It will do this quite happily and plod along. For boxer riders, taking a bike to 10,000 rpm is counter intuitive. The XR loves to be revved and if you change up only when you see that LED flashing you find the bike a little more engaging; or you are hoping there isn't anything hard in that hedge if your attention lapses. For me, it takes more effort to ride the XR, hence the RS being favoured for longer trips.

By the time you are at 10000 RPM you are at talking to jesus/bye bye licence speeds...in any gear...:D

I tried one as it seemed to offer the best of both worlds; Adventure bike posture, wide bars, good view, with sports bike performance. I found it to be quite comfortable, with really good acceleration and good handling. I also felt that the bike was always urging me to go faster (don’t you just hate it when they do that? :)
In summary, I did like it but not enough to tempt me away from my GSA Rallye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest though, if the XR felt like a 500 you weren’t revving it anywhere near enough, which is easily done after riding a boxer for a long time.

You’re probably on to something there. It was particularly grotty weather yesterday, and I think I probably kept the revs lower than ideal.

I also noticed a step in power which came in quite abruptly when it got on the cam, and It was when I got on the gas exiting bends that it was getting a bit squirmy, so catching me out after the lazy boxer power.

A bit of practice in better weather would almost certainly help, but I was very happy to get the GS back, which felt like a Range Rover after the XR!

The XR was probably one of the best BMW bikes I’ve owned. But I had to get rid of it, as I’m immature and would have either killed myself or ended up in jail. It was only a matter of time.

To be honest though, if the XR felt like a 500 you weren’t revving it anywhere near enough, which is easily done after riding a boxer for a long time.

I had an XR demo and hated it at first as it’s mid range is poor compared to a GS. Once I started thrashing it properly it really flew and the handling was great, but my licence wouldn’t last two minutes in North Yorkshire nowadays. The K1300S engine is much nicer with a similar top end rush, but also bags of mid-range, but it’s much heavier and doesn’t handle as well

They just reviewed the XR in this months motorcycle sport and leisure. They really rated it :)

The XR was probably one of the best BMW bikes I’ve owned. But I had to get rid of it, as I’m immature and would have either killed myself or ended up in jail. It was only a matter of time.

This is the same for me sadly

I still think it is the best bike that BMW have ever made to date ( in recent history anyway) it just needed a bit less

Anyone who thinks that they are faster on a GS than they would be on the XR are deluded

Anyone who thinks that they are faster on a GS than they would be on the XR are deluded

And yet, on twisting undulating B roads with a mix of surfaces in the middle of Wales (relevant to me at least because it's where I ride often) an XR will not keep up with a GS, the lack of supple long travel suspension (sorely lacking on the XR.....see what I did there......) and low down grunt means it cannot soak up the terrain as well or punch out of corners like a big twin can, granted when the roads open out the XR comes into it's own, horses for courses but for me and the type of riding I enjoy the GS is the better choice.

And yet, on twisting undulating B roads with a mix of surfaces in the middle of Wales (relevant to me at least because it's where I ride often) an XR will not keep up with a GS, the lack of supple long travel suspension (sorely lacking on the XR.....see what I did there......) and low down grunt means it cannot soak up the terrain as well or punch out of corners like a big twin can, granted when the roads open out the XR comes into it's own, horses for courses but for me and the type of riding I enjoy the GS is the better choice.
Like for like or same rider back to back and i think the XR is faster

It handles better and has more oomph so how can it be slower in honesty

I do however understand peoples preferences and riding styles which will or could be very different

I actually believe that much of the " he cant keep up " or the " only a few seconds separated us " arguments come down to just how fast you are prepared to go

A few years ago now i rode down Glen Shiel at a very very and highly illegal speed. i had a GS with me all the way because although i had a good 40 mph advantage over the GS i was not prepared to do 160 to get away from him

as above..i think a GS is quicker on B type roads..well setup you can use 100% of what its got combined with the punch and low center of gravity ..the XR is a different ball game, ive had many a play with them and i don't think id swap, i also hate the looks, it needs a refresh

as above..i think a GS is quicker on B type roads..well setup you can use 100% of what its got combined with the punch and low center of gravity ..the XR is a different ball game, ive had many a play with them and i don't think id swap, i also hate the looks, it needs a refresh

Refresh is coming soon, hopefully. If there was a softer suspension setting, I’d be 100% in.

With my dodgy back, in the real world, on a B road, I couldn’t ride an XR any faster than a GS. Give it a softer suspension button (they could call it GS slay :D) and sort my back out, and a GS definitley would not be able to keep up.

The GS is a great package and really does flatter a unskilled rider, put the same rider on the XR and there out of there comfort zone, you need a totally different mindset, the GS will ride itself whereas the Xr needs your input, a bit like riding a 2 stroke enduro, you need a bit of skill and it doesn't tolerate fools.

Your deluded if you thinks the XR cannot stay with a GS, it may not be the magic carpet of the GS, however it's deffo more fun.

Just to pick up on all of these “you must be deluded” comments, I’ll just remind the less-observant amongst us that I said “I’m sure I’d be quicker on the GS in most conditions unless absolutely harry flatters on a track”.

In the real world, with mud, rain, leaves and potholes, your limiting factors are visibility, grip and confidence. In my world (and YMMV) the GS beats the XR in these areas.

The GS is a great package and really does flatter a unskilled rider, put the same rider on the XR and there out of there comfort zone, you need a totally different mindset, the GS will ride itself whereas the Xr needs your input, a bit like riding a 2 stroke enduro, you need a bit of skill and it doesn't tolerate fools.

Your deluded if you thinks the XR cannot stay with a GS, it may not be the magic carpet of the GS, however it's deffo more fun.
Exactly, especially the deluded part!

If you can't ride an XR quicker than a GS it's you that's lacking the skill set, not the XR.

That doesn't make it a better bike but it is completely wrong to say its slower.

When I tester the XR I didn't like it and bought a KTM 1290. Enough said.

Back
Top Bottom