Mods for a new F700GS

jplums

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a 2017 F700GS from Allen Jefferies South Yorkshire and really loving the change from big capacity bikes (K1300S, K1600GTL). I was genuinely surprised at how "less is more" and the bike is so much fun to ride. I will be looking to add a few extras to the bike - namely a mudsling for the rear end, some Barkbusters, a larger screen, engine bars and some protection for the oil filter. Looks like I'll be spending some time on here looking through previous posts for recommendations on any other mods and the general chat of course! I will try and post a picture when I work out how to,

Johnny.

Let me know if you want panniers.
I have a nearly new set of Bumot panniers for sale . They are the bees knees :D

I also moved to a 2017 F700GS and am very pleased with the bike. My previous bike was a 2001 R1150GS and I can't say I miss much about the bike. I have purchased and installed a set of 2" Rox Risers, a Garmin Zumo GPS bracket, a Givi Airflow screen, a MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, a set of Cycra handguards, a Puig front fender extender, a R&G radiator guard, a R&G skid plate, a Yoshimura R77 Street Slip-On Exhaust, a set of Moose Racing Onyx Stainless Steel Footpegs, a set of LED auxiliary lights, and a Corbin seat.

In addition I have made a larger kickstand pad, bar end sliders, a 12V outlet bracket, a rear luggage rack, a polycarbonate head light guard, a larger/taller brake pedal foot, and polycarbonate wind deflectors. I had no idea how much I have done to the bike until I made a list. I have always liked customizing my bikes, but I am beginning to think I have a bit of a problem. :toungincheek

I also moved to a 2017 F700GS and am very pleased with the bike. My previous bike was a 2001 R1150GS and I can't say I miss much about the bike. I have purchased and installed a set of 2" Rox Risers, a Garmin Zumo GPS bracket, a Givi Airflow screen, a MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, a set of Cycra handguards, a Puig front fender extender, a R&G radiator guard, a R&G skid plate, a Yoshimura R77 Street Slip-On Exhaust, a set of Moose Racing Onyx Stainless Steel Footpegs, a set of LED auxiliary lights, and a Corbin seat.

I agree with

In addition I have made a larger kickstand pad, bar end sliders, a 12V outlet bracket, a rear luggage rack, a polycarbonate head light guard, a larger/taller brake pedal foot, and polycarbonate wind deflectors. I had no idea how much I have done to the bike until I made a list. I have always liked customizing my bikes, but I am beginning to think I have a bit of a problem. :toungincheek

I agree with Mitchigan rider, larger brake pedal courtesy of toura....... Headlight protector from Rugged Roads. Luggage wise see Moody’s post above stunning kit. Lastly the seat, hardly anyone gets on with the std set up so BMW comfort seats , Touratech comfort seats , Corbin or East Lancs seat supremo Tony Archer.

Not all the bigger screens work on the F700. My wife and a friend between them have tried a dozen or so screens over the years and find the best screen for most occasions is the std F800GS screen. To fit it you need to discard the black trims between the bodywork and screen and fit special steel adapters, Without these the screens wobble and cause buffeting. Depends so much on your height and riding style. Im assuming you are local to Leeds- if so we could lend you a few screens to try.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I made a quick trip to Motorworks and bought a set of Barkbusters hand guards which are really effective, a Mudsling for the back end to protect the rear suspension which is also extremely effective. I have also bought an MRA touring vario screen which I have fitted and tried - it is definitely better than the standard screen, however, it does tend to bounce more than I expected it to - jury is still out on whether it will stay or I try another one. I will update when I get a sump guard and fender extender. After that it will be a set of crash bars and I'm thinking about some Denali lights also.

Moody - I will let you know if I'm interested in the Bumot panniers as I was thinking about not having panniers, just a topbox, tankbag and roll,

Johnny.

Grab those Bumot panniers from Moody - I've got them fitted to my F800GS. Having had Metal Mule and Touratech in the past, the Bumot are light years ahead.

560000 on a std seat, tried the comfort seat, good enough for a few miles so BMW get your wallet out again. Not so good afte a few hundred. I ran a Rally seat for a while, a bit plank like and tall on the F800gs. I always come back to the std seat. We do 12000 per year and ride every weekend so I suppose your bum aclimatises.

Sooty09,

After about 5-600 miles in the first week I can live with the standard seat, but my wife complains about numb bum after 40-50 miles. Hence, thinking about a different seat, but it needs to be pillion comfy really. I noticed that a Touratech comfort seat is for sale on here, but the rear of it looks very similar to the standard seat so I'm not sure if it will make a difference for the wife,

Johnny.

Sorry, I never considered a pillion. Lucky for me my wife has her own F700. Although I have many friends with F700 and F800 bikes none take a regular pillion. Good luck.

The best seat I had on mine was the Sargent touring seat. It was slippery so if you do go for it get in the performance plus fabric as it’s grippier. The OEM stock and comfort seats were horrible to me, and I was put off the Touratech seat after trying and sending back the one I bought for a previous 1200GSA - very wide seat that splays your legs and hard as a rock!

Back
Top Bottom