Rotten from the Inside Out - Pics

Surface rust

The drive shafts on rear wheel drive cars and trucks are not protected by a housing, they are exposed to the elements

The universal joints and sliding joint are designed to operate under these conditions

It does look like a rusty mess and a bit of paint would have been nice, but it’s not meant to be visible

The inside of the UJs will be perfectly OK and I don’t think the splines on the FD slide as it’s a paralever (visibly they are too short to be a sliding joint)

A bit of grease on the splines to stop them rusting and off you go :thumb2

Thanks for that, it's reassuring, I'll just get on with it then :)

I just didn't have time, on this occassion.

The bike is getting a 3 day overhaul. 12000 mile service, new paint job... so tons of parts to be fitted.

I'll take it out next time, and I'll be prepared for more time to deal with it.

Did you get some new bolts for the brake calipers, supposedly use once bolts.

Yup, and how many on here have drives in a worse condition that that ? Probably some of the same muppets that blat on about "it's chain drive so a deal breaker for me" when looking at anything other than a GS.......

Have to agree with the above...

However much the 'faithful' will see what's in those photos as ok, it's still hugely unimpressive.

It's precisely what BMW have become: cheap crap dressed up by metrosexual designers into the latest 'must have' bike for middle aged men.

Sad, really.

Have to agree with the above...

However much the 'faithful' will see what's in those photos as ok, it's still hugely unimpressive.

It's precisely what BMW have become: cheap crap dressed up by metrosexual designers into the latest 'must have' bike for middle aged men.

Sad, really.

I've got to say, that when I got on my LC for the first time... it just felt 'cheap' to me?.. everything what thin and made a noise, or made from plastic, or designed to the minimal. I've posted on here before about it but have been shouted down saying it's how they get ecconomy and so on. But I agree with you... my old R100RS had 85K on it when I sold it, no issues at all and would do the same again without problems... I've asked on here how long LC's will last as I want to keep my bike a good few years.
I have been considering going a step back and getting a good Twin Cam... I'm just not convinced these new ones are built to last at all. Case in point.. mine is in now having all its cam's replaced at 14K miles !!

I've got to say, that when I got on my LC for the first time... it just felt 'cheap' to me?.. everything what thin and made a noise, or made from plastic, or designed to the minimal. I've posted on here before about it but have been shouted down saying it's how they get ecconomy and so on. But I agree with you... my old R100RS had 85K on it when I sold it, no issues at all and would do the same again without problems... I've asked on here how long LC's will last as I want to keep my bike a good few years.
I have been considering going a step back and getting a good Twin Cam... I'm just not convinced these new ones are built to last at all. Case in point.. mine is in now having all its cam's replaced at 14K miles !!

I had a twin cam for a few years after my 1150 and it was a great bike. The best of the 3 GSs I've had. When it needed replacing I couldn't afford an LC , they were too new at the time & I was worried about the early model's issues and so bought the Crosstourer instead . When I got it home and started taking some panels off to fit a nav it was noticeable how much better put together and how it felt better quality than the GS, the plastics most noticeably so but also the controls and pretty much most of the bike except for the poor output of the heated grips. I'd had a succession of Hondas in the 80s and 90s including a VFR and it was like coming home again. However, the Crosstourer does also have a slightly better quality feel than the AT too, but then again it's a dearer bike.

Funnily enough, wet Saturday yesterday, so decided to strip mine and check/lube. Bike is 3 weeks old, 400 miles and a build date of July this year. I was presently surprised to find the shaft painted and the splines well lubed up from the the factory. Replaced the final drive oil, whick looked like it had done 12000 miles!! But to be expected in the running in period and will be changed again at the 600 mile service next weekend.

Just for balance, I dropped my final drive unit to inspect the driveshaft when changing the oil because I had seen similar pictures of rust.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a driveshaft that looked like new with no rust whatsoever and this at 24K miles.

I not sure any of the latest bikes from any of the manufacturers is built to last, economy in quality is the norm, any way to save on cost and increase the profit margin is ok these days. Saying that, I would say Honda in general are better than most, although certainly not perfect and customer service is not one of their strong points.

Simple fact is none of the bike manufacturers is that bother about longevity, they want you to buy new bikes, not buy one and keep it forever. I’m surprised bmw haven’t come up with a “all inclusive 2 year package” where you rent a bike for 2 years with service, insurance and tyres (all you do is put fuel in it and ride) for £99, hand it back at the end and take the next one (but your only allowed to do 999 miles per annum) All those who do real mileage need not apply ;):D

Yup, and how many on here have drives in a worse condition that that ? Probably some of the same muppets that blat on about "it's chain drive so a deal breaker for me" when looking at anything other than a GS.......

Exactly. At least with a chain, there’s no hidden surprises.

I not sure any of the latest bikes from any of the manufacturers is built to last, economy in quality is the norm, any way to save on cost and increase the profit margin is ok these days. Saying that, I would say Honda in general are better than most, although certainly not perfect and customer service is not one of their strong points.

Simple fact is none of the bike manufacturers is that bother about longevity, they want you to buy new bikes, not buy one and keep it forever. I’m surprised bmw haven’t come up with a “all inclusive 2 year package” where you rent a bike for 2 years with service, insurance and tyres (all you do is put fuel in it and ride) for £99, hand it back at the end and take the next one (but your only allowed to do 999 miles per annum) All those who do real mileage need not apply ;):D

I think Japanese in general are still a step up from the Germans.
Best finished bike I’ve had in years is my Kwak H2 SX.
My ATAS is good too .
Then again my 9 year old 800GS looks like new whereas the last 1200GSA I had was delivered with rust already visible when the crate was opened . And that was in 2006 before the big slide in quality realky kicked off

With a decent mileage allowance, that’s not a bad idea.

Quality was the reason I went back to the TC. The TC is average at best but significantly better than the LC I had which had many faults as well as corrosion. It felt like someone had gone around the bike and cheapened every component....not impressed.

Im no expert on these things , but isnt there a risk the corrosion has attacked the hardened surface of the gears, leaving untreated metal exposed. If this is the case, could it lead to premature wear?

Only ask as my pal with a Triumph had water leaking into a gearbox and same thing happened.

Steve

No, that theory is bollocks, beside that, these are splined drives / universal joints, not standard gears as in gearboxes

Another good reason to drop out the drive shaft, clean & lubricate each year - its no big deal, I also ACF the shaft just to keep it fully rust free

I agree with you completely. If you intend your LC to be a keeper, you've got to be prepared to put a lot more TLC into it then previous generations. I've only said that because that's what I'm going to do!!

I think Japanese in general are still a step up from the Germans.
Best finished bike I’ve had in years is my Kwak H2 SX.
My ATAS is good too .
Then again my 9 year old 800GS looks like new whereas the last 1200GSA I had was delivered with rust already visible when the crate was opened . And that was in 2006 before the big slide in quality realky kicked off

Got to agree, the finish on my Kwak Z100SX is outstanding. I'm hoping that the big K will expand the range of bikes with the H2 engine such as a tourer and maybe in a new Adventure bike - if they do then I will be very interested. In the meantime I think I shall hang onto my TC GSA.

Got to agree, the finish on my Kwak Z100SX is outstanding. I'm hoping that the big K will expand the range of bikes with the H2 engine such as a tourer and maybe in a new Adventure bike - if they do then I will be very interested. In the meantime I think I shall hang onto my TC GSA.

Ooh, the H2 in an adventure bike could be interesting

Back
Top Bottom