GSA LC front brake lever travel

philg

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if there's anyway to reduce the lever travel on the front brake of a 2015 GSA LC?

I have it set to the position for least travel, but it still seems like ages before it comes on. I'm used to having as little lever travel as possible and it's the only thing that really annoys me about the bike. When riding fast I end up holding the lever to it's biting point (I know it's not a clutch but hopefully you get what I mean), I'm getting used to that, but in 30 years riding I've become so used to zero travel this is doing my head in.

I mentioned it last time I was at a Motorrad dealer, tried some of the bikes, and they were all the same, I could pull a K1600 lever back to the bar - this is wrong, all my other 4 BMWs have never had the problem. Has anyone tried Wunderlich Vario levers and would they give me the adjustment I need.

Cheers
Phil

My 2017 GS LC gets no where near the bar in any position, you might have some air in the brakes, and they need to be bled correctly.

Something doesn’t sound right, mine doesn’t come near the handlebar and I’m sure it would fail an MOT if it were even close.

Is it not adjustable for reach ?

The bike comes with a 2 year warranty and has had an inspection by Motorrad dealer before I took delivery, they say it's fine. I found this on https://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/71521-brake-clutch-lever-freeplay.html on a NineT forum, I think it's the same issue. When I could pull the K1600 lever back to the bar, that was a bike for sale at the Motorrad dealer, not mine. The mechanic said there was play in newer BMW bikes. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I like no lever play when applying the front brake, the lever is adjusted to minimum play on my bike and it won't touch the bar.

The bike comes with a 2 year warranty and has had an inspection by Motorrad dealer before I took delivery, they say it's fine. I found this on https://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/71521-brake-clutch-lever-freeplay.html on a NineT forum, I think it's the same issue. When I could pull the K1600 lever back to the bar, that was a bike for sale at the Motorrad dealer, not mine. The mechanic said there was play in newer BMW bikes. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I like no lever play when applying the front brake, the lever is adjusted to minimum play on my bike and it won't touch the bar.

Simple if you are not happy try another dealer.

I'm going to try another dealer for next service which is coming up soon (current dealer not too good on customer service side anyway). I'll assume other people aren't seeing the same problem on their GSs. Owners of NineT's certainly seem to be from the link above. I'd expect any Motorrad tech to know if this is normal, especially when we are talking about brakes. Sounds like no one else has tried the vario levers, so I'll see what the other dealer says before I change the lever.

I'm going to try another dealer for next service which is coming up soon (current dealer not too good on customer service side anyway). I'll assume other people aren't seeing the same problem on their GSs. Owners of NineT's certainly seem to be from the link above. I'd expect any Motorrad tech to know if this is normal, especially when we are talking about brakes. Sounds like no one else has tried the vario levers, so I'll see what the other dealer says before I change the lever.

Sounds a bit like the ABS has not been flushed correctly, if you are running on extended warranty, get the bike picked up from BMW, that way they will have to deal with it correctly.

If a ABS flush procedure and bleeding does not do it you have some sticky front brake pistons, there are 8 of them in the front calipers.
I had the same thing with my LC RT, couldn't trail brake the front (no room for my fingers between the lever and the bar).

Back
Top Bottom