Oviedo

peter56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for anyone's recommendations.
I will be walking the ( ruta de las xanas ) next year as part of my tour, which is close to the village Villanueva.
Has anyone stayed in Oviedo which is north of the walk and can you recommend Oviedo

Go round it to Cangas de Narcea, Cudillero, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I stayed in Oviedo back in 1980.

It was very noisy, perhaps to do with a festival of some sort that happened to be going on at the time, i must point out that it was a non donkey throwing event and, unusual for Spain, involved none of the traditional goading of animals or other cruelty usually required as part of a Spanish family festival.

Anyway, back on track (see what i did there) to your original question.
The hotel was very nice, but i haven't a clue what it was called or where it was located, or indeed if it's still in existence after 38 years..

Glad i could be of help.

I stayed in Oviedo back in 1980.

It was very noisy, perhaps to do with a festival of some sort that happened to be going on at the time, i must point out that it was a non donkey throwing event and, unusual for Spain, involved none of the traditional goading of animals or other cruelty usually required as part of a Spanish family festival.

Anyway, back on track (see what i did there) to your original question.
The hotel was very nice, but i haven't a clue what it was called or where it was located, or indeed if it's still in existence after 38 years..

Glad i could be of help.

Steptoe is 108.

aa6c8b4e67ed092207ca406b3e4bd72b.jpg

20 mins walk from the Parador - well worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Had A long weekend there a few weeks back, we also hit it on a festival weekend which was great!!

They know how to enjoy themselves, the whole town was buzzing till 4 in the morning every night, quite a big town so loads of choice as far as bars and restaurants are concerned

We used it as a base for 3 days so was ideal for some great roads, i'd definitely go back

Ah, Oviedo, that urban mess I encountered as I travelled from Fuente Dé to Navia. Getting through there was the low point of my recent trip.

Possibly it's the thought of a night out on Asturias Cider, but I think some of the guys are muddling your Villanueva (SW of Oviedo) with Villanueva de Cangas, where the Parador of Cangas de Onis is situated, which must be about 50 clicks east of Oviedo. Very pleasant it is too, with plenty of ciderias in Cangas.

Oviedo is the centre of the universe in those parts. Mad, busy & some bonkers drivers. We planned a stay a while back & were eyeing up a couple of options as the place is generally good value hotels wise (unless it's Fiesta), but ended up at the Parador at Gijon instead, The hotels we liked the look of were the AC Hotel Oviedo Forum (Marriott) or the Barceló Oviedo Cervantes. Both had good parking IIRC. I think there is an Ibis in the City too, cheaper, but not as convenient or luxurious as those two, if that matters.

Have a good trip.

Possibly it's the thought of a night out on Asturias Cider, but I think some of the guys are muddling your Villanueva (SW of Oviedo) with Villanueva de Cangas, where the Parador of Cangas de Onis is situated, which must be about 50 clicks east of Oviedo. Very pleasant it is too, with plenty of ciderias in Cangas.

Oviedo is the centre of the universe in those parts. Mad, busy & some bonkers drivers. We planned a stay a while back & were eyeing up a couple of options as the place is generally good value hotels wise (unless it's Fiesta), but ended up at the Parador at Gijon instead, The hotels we liked the look of were the AC Hotel Oviedo Forum (Marriott) or the Barceló Oviedo Cervantes. Both had good parking IIRC. I think there is an Ibis in the City too, cheaper, but not as convenient or luxurious as those two, if that matters.

Have a good trip.

yes me thinks you are right a bit of confusion. So have you ever stopped in Oviedo and if so do you rate Gijon better I do like cider or 3

I was there on Friday 5th Oct we stayed at Hotel Castro Real which was OK, the town was nice enough, there was food & beer & cabs to take there at minimal cost.

it was between Fuente De & Villafranca so that was good enough reason to stop there overnight, we weren’t up late enough to experience nightlife, so can’t say if any good

I was there on Friday 5th Oct we stayed at Hotel Castro Real which was OK, the town was nice enough, there was food & beer & cabs to take there at minimal cost.

it was between Fuente De & Villafranca so that was good enough reason to stop there overnight, we weren’t up late enough to experience nightlife, so can’t say if any good

I forgot the elaborate pouring of cider, they seem to spill quite a lot in the process

I've stayed in Oviedio.
It is a busy place with plenty of hotels, bars and places to eat.
I stayed at the Ayre Hotel, which is a spectacularly spectacular building, with a great breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom