Reaction score
Hey folks
Is this ball joint sitting properly, I would appreciate your opinions please
Cheers Dub 24

Attachments

• 20181017_201816.jpg
    20181017_201816.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 540
I just found this while trawling the net for info (should have done this first)����
Anyway I'll probably replace the whole lot.
Cheers
Dub 24

Attachments

• IMG-20181017-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20181017-WA0013.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Sorry photo upload crap will fix tomorrow

You do know that these are different bikes on those two pictures?!
If the boot is in one piece then there's nothing to worry about.

Br,
Jaak

Cheers Jaak for your reply yep knew they were two different bikes just using for comparison purposes. Mine is that squashed cant tell whether it's intact or not. The plan is to strip it down to check it out
Cheers

It's not clear what the issue is, or even if there is an issue?

Are you referring to the angle of the yoke vs telelever? Or as Jaak says, is the boot/gaiter torn?

If the gaiter is torn, then you can buy non-OEM replacements. But if it has been torn for some time, I'd replace the whole joint (it comes complete with the gaiter) - but that's me, others wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Can't you just pop a bar in to see if theres any play?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Can't you just pop a bar in to see if theres any play?

If there's that much play in it, the handling will be seriously off. That ball joint is fairly crucial to accurate handling.

Its impossible to see from the photo if there's anything wrong with the gaiter. Unless you know how long one has been split, I'd replace the whole joint...

That maybe so but surely checking for play is quick, easy and surely the first port of call?

That maybe so but surely checking for play is quick, easy and surely the first port of call?

I'm interested to know how to check for play at the ball joint. I mean, how would you know the play is not at the headstock?

I'm interested to know how to check for play at the ball joint. I mean, how would you know the play is not at the headstock?

Lift the bike and with the front wheel off the ground, push and pull the forks to feel for play. If there is play, get someone else to push and pull while you look and feel for the play.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll keep ye posted as to what I'll find
Cheers

I
Lift the bike and with the front wheel off the ground, push and pull the forks to feel for play. If there is play, get someone else to push and pull while you look and feel for the play.
I wouldn't trust that method at all. There are far too many things in that whole assembly that could be moving! How would you determine it was the ball joint moving and not something else?

Maybe you could put your fingers up into the joint while you moved it. But that's very subjective and I suspect inconsistent, not to mention unmeasurable... But then that joint should be tight - when you have a new one in your hands, is quite stiff. A worn ball joint, of the bike, moves very freely, maybe even falls to one side to its stop.

I I wouldn't trust that method at all. There are far too many things in that whole assembly that could be moving! How would you determine it was the ball joint moving and not something else?

Try it on a worn one then you'll be in a position to amend/edit your comment. .

Try it on a worn one then you'll be in a position to amend/edit your comment. .
Steppers, I'm sure you've seen absolutely everything on these bikes, you've probably lost count! And I'm in no doubt a ball joint could become so fooked that you could feel the play.

But...I'd say the handling would have to be so shite to get it that way (not to mention living with it) that the same person who insists on using the caliper pistons instead of brake pads - you've shown us the evidence of such economisers out there :) - would reach that point.

Going back to the op. I had a torn gaiter on an 1150 GS. I had no idea how long it was torn, but it was all fairly dry in there. I had noticed the handing was off but couldn't pin point it - checked the tyres, wheel bearings, stearing bearings. Eventually I noticed the tear in the gaiter. Fitted a new one. Wow. What a difference. The old ball joint was not obviously worn, but compared to the new item, it moved very freely.

My point is, I discovered quickly that ball joint is fairly key to how the bike handles. Hence all my comments above.

Steppers, I'm sure you've seen absolutely everything on these bikes, you've probably lost count! And I'm in no doubt a ball joint could become so fooked that you could feel the play.

But...I'd say the handling would have to be so shite to get it that way (not to mention living with it) that the same person who insists on using the caliper pistons instead of brake pads - you've shown us the evidence of such economisers out there :) - would reach that point.

Going back to the op. I had a torn gaiter on an 1150 GS. I had no idea how long it was torn, but it was all fairly dry in there. I had noticed the handing was off but couldn't pin point it - checked the tyres, wheel bearings, stearing bearings. Eventually I noticed the tear in the gaiter. Fitted a new one. Wow. What a difference. The old ball joint was not obviously worn, but compared to the new item, it moved very freely.

My point is, I discovered quickly that ball joint is fairly key to how the bike handles. Hence all my comments above.

Despite all your comments above it is a shame you didn't use the method I suggested. Would have indicated the ball joint straight away.

Despite all your comments above it is a shame you didn't use the method I suggested. Would have indicated the ball joint straight away.
Nope. I think you need to re-read my comments.

Besides, what would it have saved me precisely? The ball joint needed replacing. I just didn't need it to become totally shagged before I noticed...which is what I'm trying to say - obviously badly - that the joint is off well before you get the point of feeling play. At least that's my experience.

Hey folks
Is this ball joint sitting properly, I would appreciate your opinions please
Cheers Dub 24

Looks normal to me. I replaced the ball joint on mine about four or five years ago. I could feel movement in it. Didn’t change the handling on mine but I expect it would have got worse to the point where I would have noticed it. I’ll give yours a spin if you’d like a second opinion!

Looks normal to me. I replaced the ball joint on mine about four or five years ago. I could feel movement in it. Didn’t change the handling on mine but I expect it would have got worse to the point where I would have noticed it. I’ll give yours a spin if you’d like a second opinion!
You've got me thinking. All those moons ago, before you discovered the ball joint needed doing, was much of your riding in town or out of town/longer, faster roads?

I'm curious because I'm wondering. When mine went, most of my riding was in town, slow, feet up riding. So I'm thinking that at the very slow speeds, if something is amiss (with the ball joint, tyres etc), it can reveal itself much more. But if most of the riding is on A roads /motorway, it might be far less noticeable, which might explain how it's possible to end up with such noticeable play?

Mine got hit by a reversing car when I was not present. It was never the same again. Maybe it was just me. Discovered the tiny bit of play after the crash. As I said, changing the ball joint made no difference.

Back
Top Bottom