Bosch vs BMW motronics ECU part numbers

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
ÉCU question (posted earlier but giv8ng it a bump as would appreciate advice):

I am now tracking down a replacement ECU, to fit to the bike when I am back in the Congo.

For a r1150 Gs twin spark I am told by Motorworks that the BMW part number is 1361 7658618.

And my further detective work says that the corresponding Bosch part number is 0261207869 (the LHS column)

However, further search suggests that this Bosch part number covers a number of different Bmw part numbers:

So my question :

Can I use any ECU with the different BMW part numbers on it so long as they have the same Bosch part number?

And if so, why are there different BMW numbers for the same Bosch part number? Are they configured differently, for example.

Attachments

• BB9CA588-5C0C-4CF0-B9B0-56D9FF2D0B1C.jpg
    BB9CA588-5C0C-4CF0-B9B0-56D9FF2D0B1C.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,210
They are almost always identical except for the EPROM chip which is inside them. The EPROM can vary and is also configured by an external coding plug. The coding plug is used to select one of eight maps on the chip. Not all EPROMs have eight maps inside them. Some EPROMs have enough maps that an ECU could be used in an RT, GS, R or even an 1100S but others (one of mine) will only work for a single spark GS. You have to use a coding plug to check what eprom is inside: https://advrider.com/f/threads/coding-plugs-r1100-r1150-decoded.765242/#post-26886395.

A two-plug ECU is always different from a one spark plug ECU.

Roger

Thank you for that very clear explanation which even I understood. And so I shall restrict myself to the Bmw part number for my bike to avoid complications.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger

I have now read the link you posted and I begin to understand how complex this is. For example, if I have understood well, my 2003 German market GS twin spark might have a different ECU set up from say a US 2002.

To avoid buying the wrong ECU (and since my bike is far away from where I can check it), is there an online resource to check say from my VIN number what the right ECU should be?

I don't want to get back to the Congo only to discover I have the wrong ECU

Thanks again for your help

Now uses the power of Google to answer my own question.

It seems that my bike was made 04/2003 and the helpful website I found tells me 13617684428 or 680000 were the motronic numbers for those dates, and it was only after 1/4/04 that 658618 was used.

It then says they are 'exchangeable retrospectively' which I assume means the later ECU will work on the older bike (?).

I don't know that for a fact but I would say it's a safe assumption. In all the cases I've seen the later ECUs have all the maps of the earlier versions. It will still help if you can install the ECU here are read out all the coding plugs to see what they do using a GS-911. But, if you can't, no plug or yellow plug always seems to have a GS map, and probably a Beige plug will have a GS map too.

Roger: excuse my ignorance, 'no plug or yellow plug'....is this in the fuse/relay box?

Back
Top Bottom