1200gs - clutch problem or paranoia

jbreens

Reaction score
hi all,

I purchased a 2015 1200GS from a main dealer in July this year. When I purchased it, it had 14000 miles, and I've added about 4k miles to it since. I'm worried it's got a clutch problem, but not sure whether I'm just being paranoid. These are the symptoms:

• When cold, in 1st with clutch in, ignition off, it's almost impossible to reverse the bike (I try to leave quietly, and so back out of the spot I'm in, get on, start and immediately set off). This feels like it's been getting worse over time (but then it's also getting colder).
  • When starting in neutral (I do this very rarely, given point 1), I noticed there is a lot of torque when cold. I know some torque is normal even in neutral when starting, but the bike has rolled itself off the side stand (and I only just caught it).
  • I've started to smell the signature break / clutch burn smell pretty much every time I stop at lights (I commute into London, so plenty of opportunity). This only started (or I started noticing it) a week or so ago.
  • Lastly, (this is what started my worry) from the day I've had the bike, when in 6th gear, and no throttle, the drive is very snatchy, and the bike constantly varies speed between about 20-25mph, it sounds like it's struggling. (The reason I thought this was odd is that I have done some off-roading on 2016 and 2017 models at ORS in Wales. Some of the training there made us put the bike in 6th gear and let it run without any throttle. I recall this had the bike moving at 40mph easily. (this was before I owned my own bike)

Otherwise, at speed in any gear, the bike behaves completely normally as far as I can tell. I'm worried if I go back to the dealer, I'll struggle to explain the problem sufficiently. Is there any tests I can do to figure out whether I'm just being paranoid?

Thanks!
Jan

First two points, talk to your dealer. Point three top gear at 40mph is as low as I would want to go, even then you can't give full throttle it has to be eased in. The GS engine starts to smooth out at 2500rpm and is ready to go properly at 3000rpm, less than that is not kind on the engine.

Just on your first point can you push the bike easily if not in gear? Your symptoms sound a bit like brake not fully released. JJH

I'm with JJH. Sounds like a brake dragging - possibly the rear caliper not sliding freely, so one pad getting mighty hot. Easy to see with a laser thermometer after a ride, but don't be tempted to use your fingers!

You are under warranty & your dealer should be able to diagnose the problem easily. They can check for any fault codes too &, if the bike seems to be lumpy & kicking at a tickover, check throttle balance.

BTW, 20-25 mph in top gear is just plain cruel - you should be no higher than 3rd IMHO.

I had an ex-ORS GS whose clutch was knackered. Symptoms were very vague and continually changing bite point, varying amounts of clutch drag and a nasty smell when stationery. It doesn’t sound like it’s tour problem, or your only problem. When taken apart the plates were warped and the basket fried - answer was a new clutch. As above 25/30mph in 6th is just wrong.

BTW, 20-25 mph in top gear is just plain cruel - you should be no higher than 3rd IMHO.
As above 25/30mph in 6th is just wrong.

To clarify, both at ORS and with my own bike, I'd get to 50/60mph in 6th normally, and then just let the bike settle into idle speed. On the ORS bike, that was 40mph, my bike sinks much lower to 20-25mph. I agree this is wrong, hence the worry :).

In any case, sounds like I should be talking to the dealer, and I'll also check whether I can push the bike more easily in neutral in the morning. thanks for the assistance.

Even if the clutch were totally goosed, it would be under such little load at 50mph in 6th that it probably wouldn't slip at all or anywhere near enough to knock your speed off that much with no hills etc.

It's possible there is more than 1 issue and the clutch drag when cold might be due to adjustment or clutch needing bleeding. My late 14 bike needs an updated clutch pushrod for drag but as far as I know 15 bikes should have it.

I thought the clutches on the LC models were in an oil bath. Would you be able to "smell" a clutch bathed in oil? Not stating-just asking

I thought the clutches on the LC models were in an oil bath. Would you be able to "smell" a clutch bathed in oil? Not stating-just asking

It is in a bath and I suspect it would be having to slip extensively to burn up the plates that bad. That would be very apparent in general use I would have thought.

I would guess at brakes as has been mentioned for the smell.

hi all,

I purchased a 2015 1200GS from a main dealer in July this year. When I purchased it, it had 14000 miles, and I've added about 4k miles to it since. I'm worried it's got a clutch problem, but not sure whether I'm just being paranoid. These are the symptoms:

• When cold, in 1st with clutch in, ignition off, it's almost impossible to reverse the bike (I try to leave quietly, and so back out of the spot I'm in, get on, start and immediately set off). This feels like it's been getting worse over time (but then it's also getting colder).
  • When starting in neutral (I do this very rarely, given point 1), I noticed there is a lot of torque when cold. I know some torque is normal even in neutral when starting, but the bike has rolled itself off the side stand (and I only just caught it).
  • I've started to smell the signature break / clutch burn smell pretty much every time I stop at lights (I commute into London, so plenty of opportunity). This only started (or I started noticing it) a week or so ago.
  • Lastly, (this is what started my worry) from the day I've had the bike, when in 6th gear, and no throttle, the drive is very snatchy, and the bike constantly varies speed between about 20-25mph, it sounds like it's struggling. (The reason I thought this was odd is that I have done some off-roading on 2016 and 2017 models at ORS in Wales. Some of the training there made us put the bike in 6th gear and let it run without any throttle. I recall this had the bike moving at 40mph easily. (this was before I owned my own bike)

Reversing the bike in 1st gear they’re all like that.. (all the ones I’ve moved in 1st gear have been)

Torque I assume mean clutch drag/not clearing properly, check oil level & type, they all do this a little but yours sounds a bit excessive.. Dealer needs a look..

As mentioned smelling clutch, it’s encased In oil, more likely sticking brake pads on a 2015 bike, chances pads will be stuck in sliders, remove & copper slip the pad contact points. Or if not competent get a mate to do it. (Easy job & worth doing anyway)

6th gear low speed the transmission will be neither loaded or on overrun, not the best move on riders part as the natural backlash will damage transmission more than a good thrashing..

All in all not too much to worry about.
Hope that helps & good luck..

hi all,

Thanks for the advice / comments. It's in with the dealer today hopefully they can put my worries to bed.

JB

Back
Top Bottom