Electronic steering lock - issues

FlyingPanda

Reaction score
It may be coincidence, but since I’ve had the software update to my 2018 GS Rallye, the steering lock seems really reluctant to activate. I get off the bike, turn the bars hard left, then press the little doofah for sometimes three seconds, sometimes ten, sometimes thirty, but I just can’t get the bugger to lock. However, if I leave it and come back to it 5 minutes later, it locks immediately.

Is it me? Is it because the button is multi functional and it gets confused? Or is just technology for technology’s sake and we’d all prefer a key?

I'll be interested in the replies here as I have a similar issue but mine locks then immediately unlocks. It takes several goes before it locks.

So it's not you and I'd prefer a key as well

17’ GSA 15k miles, never had a problem. Previous bike 64’ GS just shy of 20K miles, never had a problem. Apart from one at the beginning of ownership where I simply did not turn bars far enough and did try to lock but instantly unlocked it self again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be coincidence, but since I’ve had the software update to my 2018 GS Rallye, the steering lock seems really reluctant to activate. I get off the bike, turn the bars hard left, then press the little doofah for sometimes three seconds, sometimes ten, sometimes thirty, but I just can’t get the bugger to lock. However, if I leave it and come back to it 5 minutes later, it locks immediately.

Is it me? Is it because the button is multi functional and it gets confused? Or is just technology for technology’s sake and we’d all prefer a key?

Rock the steering when you press the button :thumb2

It could just be that it's not quite lined up for the pin to pop out ?

It’s a good thought, but sadly it’s not down to that. The motor isn’t even trying, I think it’s something to do with software as a few mins later it works every time.

I had a phase when I couldn't get mine to lock ( '17 GSA ) until I found that if I waited until the dash display went out it would lock every time.

Just a thought.

I had a phase when I couldn't get mine to lock ( '17 GSA ) until I found that if I waited until the dash display went out it would lock every time.

Just a thought.

Aha - you might very well be on to something there, I will have a play when I get home tonight.

The handbook says you can press and keep pressed to turn off and lock steering from the engine running state.

Are you using your left or right hand? Could make a difference. :aidan

Back
Top Bottom