Vladivostok .. or bust

So .. I got a replacement torque limiter ...

IMG_0109.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

And fitted that ... crossed my fingers ... sacrificed the neighbours cat .. drank the blood of a raven ... pledged my soul to the devil in orange and black ... pressed the starter

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Repeated about 10 times with 100% starts .... OHHHHH DOUBLE YEAAAAAAAAA

Then turned the engine off and took the key out and this happened ....

Errrrrrr .... should that be happening ???? F*cking BITCH±

Sounds good to me:))) We looked at Magadan for this trip. It's not the easiest place to get the bikes back from but there are lots of options. The summer road is being tarmac'd as we speak. There is a big new junction at Never on the Trans Siberian with tarmac going north. The plan shows it going to Yakutsk and I don't know how far it's got so far. Magadan is 3000km from that junction though so I'm sure there is plenty of shit road to enjoy on the way. I've got to speak to a few people then we could maybe start talking about some plans:))))))))

Just give it a few years and you can ride tarmac road all the way to Magadan :D Just what the brittle bones want.

I'm not convinced they'll tarmac all the way. The permafrost wreaks havoc with tarmac. All the cars in Yakutsk had dents in all their corners from the huge lumps and dips in the tarmac from the temperature differences. Riding down the roads is somewhat like riding a rollercoaster:D

If you do get to Magadan, you won't be disappointed, the bikers there are so welcoming and friendly:beerjug::beer: well worth a trip;)

I thoroughly enjoyed this report:thumb2 I love Russia, it is the one place I'd return to in a heartbeat:)
Very well written with great pics;) especially the train ride back, very interesting, something we had considered but didn't do in the end:)

I'm not convinced they'll tarmac all the way. The permafrost wreaks havoc with tarmac. All the cars in Yakutsk had dents in all their corners from the huge lumps and dips in the tarmac from the temperature differences. Riding down the roads is somewhat like riding a rollercoaster:D

If you do get to Magadan, you won't be disappointed, the bikers there are so welcoming and friendly:beerjug::beer: well worth a trip;)

I thoroughly enjoyed this report:thumb2 I love Russia, it is the one place I'd return to in a heartbeat:)
Very well written with great pics;) especially the train ride back, very interesting, something we had considered but didn't do in the end:)

What did you do when you got to Magadan? Or did you start there and work west? It seems a bitch of a place to get the bikes out of in any quick time. The boat takes two weeks to Vlad from there.

I hope you're right about the permafrost. Its difficult to describe to anyone exactly how isolated that region is, even at the Never turn off. I've defo got to get up to Magadan and see what it's like.

What did you do when you got to Magadan? Or did you start there and work west? It seems a bitch of a place to get the bikes out of in any quick time. The boat takes two weeks to Vlad from there.

I hope you're right about the permafrost. Its difficult to describe to anyone exactly how isolated that region is, even at the Never turn off. I've defo got to get up to Magadan and see what it's like.

We shipped bikes to Magadan and headed west, leaving the bikes in Ulaanbaatar. Here's the link to the ride report;)
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...Siberia?highlight=Granny+on+the+road+of+bones

Kev also did it in 2012, ride report here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/309215-Siberia-2012-story-so-far?

Both times riding west. in 2012 they got the ferry from Harwich to Esberg, rode to Kiel and got ferry to St. Petersburg, put the bikes on the railway to Vlad and flew home, then bikes went by ship to Magadan. At the time it was £700 for both bikes St. Petes to Vlad and €700 for both bikes Vlad to Magadan. They then flew to Magadan and rode home:thumb

Great write up, loughed my tits off pretymuch with every sentence I read.... having lived and grown up in Lithuania during the soviet union times, I can relate to this RR. As a young lad I have lived 3 years in Ukraine as well as a year in Russia......

Thank you for sharing with us poor sods who simply can not be allowed to take 8 weeks of work, otherwise most of us be on your tail filling up your rear view mirrors with dazzling lights...

I've just ordered a fandangeled 1290 Super Adventure, are they really that troublesome?

We shipped bikes to Magadan and headed west, leaving the bikes in Ulaanbaatar. Here's the link to the ride report;)
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...Siberia?highlight=Granny+on+the+road+of+bones

Kev also did it in 2012, ride report here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/309215-Siberia-2012-story-so-far?

Both times riding west. in 2012 they got the ferry from Harwich to Esberg, rode to Kiel and got ferry to St. Petersburg, put the bikes on the railway to Vlad and flew home, then bikes went by ship to Magadan. At the time it was £700 for both bikes St. Petes to Vlad and €700 for both bikes Vlad to Magadan. They then flew to Magadan and rode home:thumb

Interesting....

I do prefer to ride away from home than towards it though! I could ride to Magadan, put the bikes on the ship and fly home - might be quicker to put them on a truck if people wanted to meet the bikes in Vlad. The agent in Vlad could collect and ship them back home - he said he does it as a job lot at the end of the season. I'll have to take a look at those reports...

I just want to ride..... I've got nothing sorted for this year and I'm getting itchy feet!

Great write up, loughed my tits off pretymuch with every sentence I read.... having lived and grown up in Lithuania during the soviet union times, I can relate to this RR. As a young lad I have lived 3 years in Ukraine as well as a year in Russia......

Thank you for sharing with us poor sods who simply can not be allowed to take 8 weeks of work, otherwise most of us be on your tail filling up your rear view mirrors with dazzling lights...

I've just ordered a fandangeled 1290 Super Adventure, are they really that troublesome?

A 1290:)) That would be nice. Will you want to get it all scratched and dirty and looking like it's been sleeping in a skip? My mate saw mine the other day - he keeps his like an ornament - and was genuinely upset that mine looked so sad! I prefer it scarred and scratched .. battered and bruised ..

As for reliability - my mate's is an 1190 and hasn't had any problems over 40k so maybe I've just been unfortunate ...with 2 different bikes:) Good luck with your's though - I'm sure it'll be most excellent!

I've got my finger out .... just need a few other fingers out before I can go .. I need at least a hand and a half's worth of fingers:)

You will manage it,just like your Katoom does ….Just.....!!!

You will manage it,just like your Katoom does ….Just.....!!!

I hope so mate....

anyone thinking they need to ride to Everest Nepal and India .... you know you want too .... come a little closer ... let me whisper in your ear .... come this way ......

yep,whisper ear mate...

Attachments

• gettyimages-726894137-1024x1024.jpg
    gettyimages-726894137-1024x1024.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 174
Interesting....

I do prefer to ride away from home than towards it though! I could ride to Magadan, put the bikes on the ship and fly home - might be quicker to put them on a truck if people wanted to meet the bikes in Vlad. The agent in Vlad could collect and ship them back home - he said he does it as a job lot at the end of the season. I'll have to take a look at those reports...

I just want to ride..... I've got nothing sorted for this year and I'm getting itchy feet!

On the plus side, you wont have the sun in your eyes every evening! Or you could leave the bikes somewhere in storage and you fly home, then you know where you're going the next trip;)

Another great report. Fantastic commentary, excellent photos and makes the jaunts I've been on look like a trip down to the local Tesco's. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom