BMW R1250GS vs BMW R1200GSA Acceleration Test Video

Surely a better test would be the Adv following the new bike.?
As for Hilltop I'm suprised BMW bothered with the shiftcam and just sent them all their for the extra 9hp

The only time I can see it making a difference is above 120 mph+

... and I'm not even bothering to go there... you're on the wrong bike.

For the average Joe on a GS, it'll make no difference.

Would I buy a 1250 Adventure, yes definately. Smoother, quieter, more torque for full luggage, TFT Display, nice shiny new bike, 3 year Warranty.

But I won't lose any sleep in the meantime on my R1200GSA.

I'll happily wait until the Goldrush finishes :D

The only time I can see it making a difference is above 120 mph+

... and I'm not even bothering to go there... you're on the wrong bike.

For the average Joe on a GS, it'll make no difference.

Would I buy a 1250 Adventure, yes definately. Smoother, quieter, more torque for full luggage, TFT Display, nice shiny new bike, 3 year Warranty. Rust free final drive.

But I won't lose any sleep in the meantime on my R1200GSA.

Fixed for you :D

Editing posts with a FTFY is such a twat thing. Add value if you can, otherwise FOYT.

So you think it will all be HPs sold then. :)

Hands up I haven’t ridden it yet but I agree that I think 90% of the raving about the new engine will be placebo effect where people have been told the engine is more powerful so they suddenly feel it. I have no doubt there is more power there and people feel it but it’s not as big a boost as people think it is.
I may swallow my words when I try it because what I’m really interested in is the 3-6k torque because that’s what I do use all of because I’m a lazy fat shit.

It’s all so subjective because I know if I spend a week commuting in and out of the city centre with all the traffic I think the bike can feel a little slow to me but let me have a week commuting on the back roads and I can wind it out and clear her lungs and I thinks it’s got more power than I can ever touch.

I’m not sure how many times I’ve contradicted myself in this post but there you go.

Most people dont use full throttle, if they did it'd be more than enough and scary on anything other than a perfectly dry straight line.

Poncing about at 25% throttle is what most of us do... you don't need anything more before you're into silly speeds.

Weirdly, if you have £6,000 spare to spend on upgrading your GSA for more power... why not spend that on a second bike?.... with a lot more power?

You'd get something really nice probably :D

l

Weirdly, if you have £6,000 spare to spend on upgrading your GSA for more power... why not spend that on a second bike?.... with a lot more power?

You'd get something really nice probably :D

I did the two and even three bike thing for a fair few years and I just found myself reaching for whatever GS I owned at the time every time I went out. It’s just so perfect for me. My last second bike was a tricked out KR that I loved but I felt so guilty I wasn’t riding it I sold it to my brother - who killed the gearbox and then the ECU popped a month or two later so all in all I moved it on just in time!

Yup, 1200GS as a workhorse, Triumph 765 Street Triple R as a fun bike and 2 classic Triumphs, both over 40trs old, to keep my spannering skills up to scratch.

Just saying

Took my 1250 Rallye out yesterday, first time I got to give it a good try. Did around 200 miles and yes I found it stronger, smoother and even nicer than my GSA to ride - just saying :bounce1

Whether or not its worth the cost to change, just for that, I`ll leave that for others to decide. I`ll always be keen to hear what others think, who actually have and have ridden the 1250.

I tend to agree with all the points the reviewing journo listed.

50cc ain’t a lot when you get up to that kind of capacity, unless you have a sig difference in bore/stroke ratio.... So I wouldn’t expect the 1250 to be much different, barring the difference the VVT makes.

It’s the only GS in production now, so all those on a rolling PCP contract will be going for it, I guess?

50cc ain’t a lot when you get up to that kind of capacity, unless you have a sig difference in bore/stroke ratio.... So I wouldn’t expect the 1250 to be much different, barring the difference the VVT makes.

It’s the only GS in production now, so all those on a rolling PCP contract will be going for it, I guess?

ahh but it isnt 50cc difference is it:D

1254 - 1170 = 84 cc.

The vid just doesn't give us any measure of progress TBH. It would take some properly timed closed road runs to assess & for what; to tell us the 1250 is a smidge faster once on the cam.

Most testers & test-ride jockeys I have spoken to, appreciate the new air of smooth sophistication with the new bike. Slightly more torquey feeling but only a few have been able to explore the top end. Definitely lost the rattly tractor like feel of the old bikes, we are told the motor seems to spin up more freely & with some good mapping the bottom end around town performance seems to have been improved.

No reason to change, if you are happey with the old 1200, but a logical step if a change is due. Many will wait for the Adventure. I shall wait, let the froth of new bike launch settle &, if no gremlins emerge, blag a test ride next spring.

Oh... it'll be exactly the same for the Hilltop deluded as well.... no difference except they get £250 of your money for your delusion....

For an in intelligent person thats a strange conclusion, especially as you are commenting when you have had no direct experience with Hilltop. Note that I do not believe the HP increases of round 15bhp. However having had it done the bike is smoother with better fuelling. Would I have done it again - yes yes yes.

For an in intelligent person thats a strange conclusion, especially as you are commenting when you have had no direct experience with Hilltop. Note that I do not believe the HP increases of round 15bhp. However having had it done the bike is smoother with better fuelling. Would I have done it again - yes yes yes.

That's not what I meant.

What I meant was those that run to Hilltop for a faster bike.... that's the deluded part.

Going to them as a solution to better fuelling and a smoother running bike, is a good decision.

I wish I could hilltop mine but it will require a trip to the UK. Not really worth it.

I agree, Warlord, if anyone is going to buy the new bike thinking they are going to have their socks blown off, they are seriously deluded. I haven't tried it but it ain't rocket science.

In 30 months time when I have to decide whether to pay the €8,000 residual, trade it or whatever I may well opt for the new one. 125-140+ HP is more than enough for me. There isn't anything else that suits me like the GS tbh. I wouldn't be seen dead on a KTM. I used to ride enduro bikes and to me that's all they are; a roadworthy enduro bike and pig-ugly to boot. And orange is my least favourite colour unless it's on an orange or a satsuma.

Arsey will tell you, I would likely kill myself on a SB which is why I didn't ask him for a go on his..... also because I might like it and I don't want to.

Whether the test above is representative or not is academic, IMHO; whatever test you come up with for speed is never going to amount to much of a difference.

Far more important, as others have said, is how the new bike feels and, for those sensible enough to bide their time, how reliable the new system is.

Back
Top Bottom