A few questions (take it easy on a newbee!): 2016 R1200GSA

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought this lovely bike but a few questions for those in the know.

My inseam is only 32 inches (ok 31.5) and must admit that being a little vertically challenged I'd like to fit a lowered seat. Is the standard BMW low seat a good option for long trips (up to 4 hours in the saddle between breaks) or would you folks recommend something better/different?

Secondly, is it just me or do these motors, knock sensors or no, suffer from pinking? I noticed that whilst out on a ride yesterday that on a few hill starts and crawling through traffic it sounded like it was pinking like mad as I pulled away and continued until RPM was north of 3000rpm. I am aware of the auto decompressors used in the head but this sounded more like pinking to me.

Thanks in advance.

My inseam is only 32 inches (ok 31.5) and must admit that being a little vertically challenged I'd like to fit a lowered seat. Is the standard BMW low seat a good option for long trips (up to 4 hours in the saddle between breaks) or would you folks recommend something better/different?

Secondly, is it just me or do these motors, knock sensors or no, suffer from pinking? I noticed that whilst out on a ride yesterday that on a few hill starts and crawling through traffic it sounded like it was pinking like mad as I pulled away and continued until RPM was north of 3000rpm. I am aware of the auto decompressors used in the head but this sounded more like pinking to me.

Thanks in advance.

I have a friend who is similarly challenged! The BMW low seat is achieved by removing padding which doesn't do much for long-run comfort - although I would have to ask why you need to ride non-stop for 4 hrs but each to their own. BMW salesman advice was to buy lowered suspension with standard seat rather than lowered seat to retain comfort level. Not an option for you but gives an indication of how the lowered seat might meet your needs. Re your suspected pinking - not an expert but usually due to accelerating in too high a gear - drop down a cog or two. Also, I run my bike on 98 octane fuel - its more money but I get better mileage so it works out about the same - helps with performance too - much smoother. Enjoy the bike - ride it loads.

It is tall but you get used to it after a while and develop techniques for managing the bike.
Low seat will go straight on but is thinner and comfort is a personal thing.
You can also get the stock seat cut down or do it yourself.
Make sure all the suspension settings are on the lowest.
RE: engine, it is a rattly thing and does not like chugging at low revs \ high gear, again you will get used to it.

With an inseam of 31.5 I can’t understand why you would have a problem with standard seat. I’m 30 and manage fine

I have a friend who is similarly challenged! The BMW low seat is achieved by removing padding which doesn't do much for long-run comfort - although I would have to ask why you need to ride non-stop for 4 hrs but each to their own. BMW salesman advice was to buy lowered suspension with standard seat rather than lowered seat to retain comfort level. Not an option for you but gives an indication of how the lowered seat might meet your needs. Re your suspected pinking - not an expert but usually due to accelerating in too high a gear - drop down a cog or two. Also, I run my bike on 98 octane fuel - its more money but I get better mileage so it works out about the same - helps with performance too - much smoother. Enjoy the bike - ride it loads.

I have often ridden longish stints in the saddle (usually up to 200 odd miles) and plan a few tours in the coming years. I find that a seat that might be comfy for an hour and a half say isn't as comfy for the next stint and so-on, so just wanted to ensure before splashing out a not inconsiderable sum on one of these replacements, that it's design has been thought about and it would be comfortable. Not interested in modding suspension linkage to lower the bike. My own view on this is that it can fundamentally alter the handling characteristics, usually not for the better.

As to the pinking....I have been riding a bike for many years and have mechanical sympathy and experience. The pinking was not the result of pulling away on too high a gear...it was in 1st gear. I wonder whether 98 RON will do the trick....could it be more the lean running condition and slightly advanced ignition tuning of Euro 4 compliance being the culprit here? Raising octane levels won't necessarily help the pinking situation unless the bike runs slightly richer but I'll give it a go :thumb2

It is tall but you get used to it after a while and develop techniques for managing the bike.
Low seat will go straight on but is thinner and comfort is a personal thing.
You can also get the stock seat cut down or do it yourself.
Make sure all the suspension settings are on the lowest.
RE: engine, it is a rattly thing and does not like chugging at low revs \ high gear, again you will get used to it.

Good point. There's a local company who could re-upholster the standard seat with a firmer foam. May get a quote for that and see if they can take 30mm or so off it. Could work out cheaper than a new seat. Already got the seat set on low.

Yes, I'm beginning to realise that anything short of 3K revs is asking a lot of the L/C boxer engine. It's a different beast to the early air heads I used to have (they also pinked I recall).

With an inseam of 31.5 I can’t understand why you would have a problem with standard seat. I’m 30 and manage fine

On a GSA? Are your boots built up LoL! 34 inches on low setting is a tall seat for a 32 inch inseam never mind a 30 inch. I'm sure it's something you can get used to with practice. One advantage is a straighter more comfortable leg position for longer rides. Only done a few hundred miles on it but have already gelled with the bike nicely.

Morety try the BMW Rally seat low...it's a great seat that leats you move on the bike and does not lock you in in one position.It is also very comfortable and is narrower than the other seats so you gain some length if you are inseam challenged...I run a regular Rally seat on my ADV and love it !

Secondly, is it just me or do these motors, knock sensors or no, suffer from pinking?

That'll be a no, if I remember correctly. BMW fitted knock sensors to the previous 1200 engines but not to the LC. They reckoned that the better downdraft inlet design and improved combustion chamber shape obviated the need for them.

Thanks in advance.

You do have it on its lowest setting ? try setting it with the rear at normal height and the front lowered it means you can reach the bottom better

Re different saddles ................ other than the actual cover the low GSA seat is actually a standard GS seat and a high GS seat is a standard GSA seat, my GSA is fitted with a standard height GS Exclusive seat which means with a 32" inside leg measurement I can sit with both feet flat on the floor with knees slightly bent

Attachments

• new bmw 027 nos 4_edited-1.jpg
    new bmw 027 nos 4_edited-1.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 286
With the same inside leg, and the standard GSA seat on low, there's no way I can flat foot it....34 inches is 34 inches! Does that then mean that the GS Exclusive seat is lower than the GSA standard seat? (2016 model)

@Boxerlust...thanks for the tip. I'll see if Motorrad will allow me to sit on one of their bikes with this fitted...could be a good proposition.

@Schtum...many thanks for that...I wasn't aware that they'd omitted the sensors on the LC. Helps explain things a little more.

Yes the Exclusive seats are available low , standard and tall height options .................... low is the same as low GS, standard is same as standard GS and the high exclusive is the same height as a standard GSA.

Always found the standard height GSA seats uncomfortable (on both hexhead tc and LC models )in that they put undue pressure on your inner thigh area after a few miles , a standard GS seat is more comfortable

Thanks for the tip Neil. I'l look into that.

Back
Top Bottom