Loose Spoke recall

I had 5 very loose spokes on the rear of my 2017 GSA. BMW tightened them but when I took the wheel off and put it on my balancing stand there was over 6mm of side to side movement. Not surprising really as these wheels are notoriously difficult to true.

New wheel fitted and apparently they've changed the grub screw and lock tighten them in. 4k miles later no issues. Fingers crossed that'll be the end of it.

It's never the end haha... :D

Your'e probably right as I've now got a hole in my FD rubber boot. Please stop finding things wrong with your bike as I seem to develop the same faults soon after!!

Your'e probably right as I've now got a hole in my FD rubber boot. Please stop finding things wrong with your bike as I seem to develop the same faults soon after!!

:D Quantum Entanglement syndrome

Wait till his tools arrive and he starts cracking the engine open...........;) i am trembling already at what I will have to buy.

Well returned from the dealer with a new rear wheel and 3 spokes tightened on the front. Keep a close eye on those spokes guys, was talking at the dealership and apparently it’s certain vin numbers obviously a bad batch. Mine was reg 1st March 2018 Adv Rallye TE. First sign of loose spoke it’s gping straight back. I would image they will be busy next summer when the covers come off and the weather breaks.

Exactly the same with mine after 690 miles. More than seven loose in the rear so currently awaiting a new wheel and three loose and tightened in the front.

Checked mine last night, at least 7 in the back and 4 in the front . One of the front so loose you can wobble it around with your fingers. Being recovered to the dealer for checking today! 3400 miles and less than a year old.

Checked mine last night, at least 7 in the back and 4 in the front . One of the front so loose you can wobble it around with your fingers. Being recovered to the dealer for checking today! 3400 miles and less than a year old.

Update from Vines they have fitted a new wheel to the front as 11 loose, and checked and tightened the rear as they only found 4 loose. Bike being delivered back today. Can’t fault that for service. But will keep a regular check over the coming miles.

Update from Vines they have fitted a new wheel to the front as 11 loose, and checked and tightened the rear as they only found 4 loose. Bike being delivered back today. Can’t fault that for service. But will keep a regular check over the coming miles.

What happened to the other 3 on the rear?

What happened to the other 3 on the rear?

I guess what they call loose is different to me, hence a lot more on the front than I detected but less on the rear!! I trust the guys at Vines, but as I say will be giving them all a good ting tong on a regular basis over the coming months.

Took my 2018 GSA Rallye into NoG today for 600m service and Wheel check. Rear has 12 Loose (two rattly loose) and front 13 Loose. Both Wheels being replaced thankfully.

I guess what they call loose is different to me, hence a lot more on the front than I detected but less on the rear!! I trust the guys at Vines, but as I say will be giving them all a good ting tong on a regular basis over the coming months.

It’s a very subjective assessment as to what’s loose or not, I had a couple of ‘dull’ sounding spokes on the rear (mainly down to the ‘ring’ being damped by touching the adjacent spoke) - none that I’d call loose but dealer replaced my wheel anyway, now all the spokes have a definite ‘ring’ to them when tapped with a spanner.

It’s a very subjective assessment as to what’s loose or not, I had a couple of ‘dull’ sounding spokes on the rear (mainly down to the ‘ring’ being damped by touching the adjacent spoke) - none that I’d call loose but dealer replaced my wheel anyway, now all the spokes have a definite ‘ring’ to them when tapped with a spanner.

Thank goodness you’re not a motorbike engineer then.

I think he meant that they may not have been loose , just not tight enough :blast:D

Lefty loosey, righty tighty :aidan

They were obviously loose enough to warrant a new wheel ;)

But obviously not for the OP who came off his bike, as BMW got away with it, and everyone was blaming the brake caliper.

Any one who doesn’t notice that their spokes are loose enough for the wheel to collapse shouldn’t be riding a push bike let alone a motorcycle! Or just maybe it was really the caliper - it had been worked on prior to the accident?

Back
Top Bottom