Endurance Documentary on Youtube

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/oyQRHHHXntc

Just watched this on Youtube, it is very interesting and tells the tale simply and clearly, factually too I am sure.

Hard to believe the courage and tenacity of the 28 men lead by Shackleton.

Recommended!

Thanks Bin - will watch later, will bring back memories of South Georgia 12 years ago when I luckily got good weather on the traverse.
My admiration for those men was increased having seen what they did in 3 dimensions. Aidan Dooley's Tom Crean Antarctic Explorer was in the Gaiety last week; have seen it twice & would go again. Some man, some men. :bow

Attachments

• DSC00456.jpg
    DSC00456.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC00458.jpg
    DSC00458.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 386
  • PB150124.jpg
    PB150124.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 358
Gerry, that was some experience for you! It is hard to picture or comprehend how they managed. I saw the Aidan Dooley show, he takes you there alright! Bin

Shackelton

Might be worth a look;

Ernest Shackleton Autumn School
Find out more about the Ernest Shackleton Autumn School. More

Shackleton News
SHACKLETON AUTUMN SCHOOL BROCHURE
Shackleton Brochure 2018

For bookings please contact the Museum on 059-8633075.

SHACKLETON’S CARPENTER
I
Catch this interview with Malcom Rennie about his one man show ‘Shackleton’’s Carpenter’ which will be staged at Athy Art Centre at 8.30pm on Sunday the 28th October.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsBavoeR1YQ
SHACKLETON AUTUMN SCHOOL 2018

The Shackleton Autumn School is pleased to confirm the provisional details of the 2018 Autumn School

Friday 26th October

Official Opening & Exhibition Launch by Her Excellency, Ambassador Else Berit Eikeland, the Norwegian Ambassador to Ireland

7.30pm

Book Launch

8.00pm

in Athy Heritage Centre – Museum.

In association with UCL publishers, the Shackleton Autumn School is pleased to welcome back to Athy Shane McCorristine for the launch of his latest work The Spectral Arctic: A History of Ghosts and Dreams in Polar Exploration. Through new readings of archival documents, exploration narratives and fictional texts, author Shane reveals the hidden stories of dreaming and haunted explorers, of frozen mummies, of rescue balloons, visits to Inuit shamans, and of the entranced female clairvoyants who travelled to the Arctic in search of Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition.

Exhibition

Daily Exhibitions – Athy Heritage Centre – Museum

Saturday & Sunday 10am – 5pm

Bank Holiday Monday 10am – 2pm

10.00am – 5.00pm – “Exploring Shackleton”

The exhibition devised and created by the Fram Museum, Oslo focuses on the life and expeditions of Sir Ernest Shackleton. The exhibition is complemented by artefacts from the Museum’s own and private collections.

10.00am – 5.00pm – “On Thin Ice”

Held in conjunction with the Norwegian Embassy, Dublin the exhibition documents the Norwegian Young Sea Ice Expedition 2015 with stunning images from this unique expedition.

Saturday, 27th October

Lecture Series Athy Heritage Centre – Museum

10.00am “Lessons from the Arctic: How Amundsen won the Race to the South Pole”

Geir klover

Admission €10

10.50am TEA/COFFEE

11.20 “What the Sea Floor at the Top and Bottom of the World can tell use about the great ice sheets”

Kelly Hogan

Admission €10

12.10 “Solving famous Shipwreck Mysteries”

David Mearns

Admission €10

1pm LUNCH

2.30pm “The Extraordinary Four Antarctic Winters of Argentine Jose Manuel Moneta during the 1920s”

Bob Headland

Admission €10

3.20pm TEA/COFFEE

3.50pm “Conor O’Brien: Patriot, Sailor and Adventurer”

Jim McAdam

Admission €10

4.40pm ‘Icebreakers’

A series of short presentations on topics relevant to the Shackleton Autumn School, presented by those with a passion for their subject.

Admission Free

Dinner

8.00pm Autumn School Dinner in Clanard Court Hotel, Athy Tickets €40

Sunday, 28th October Athy Heritage Centre – Museum

Lecture Series

10.00am “Kathleen Shackleton, Ernest’s Arctic Sister”

Sharon Greene Admission €10

10.50am TEA/COFFEE

11.20am “In Shackleton’s Wake”

Arved Fuchs

Admission €10

12.10pm “Isolation; Working and Wintering in Antarctica”

Mike Brian

Admission €10

1pm LUNCH

2.30pm ‘William Speirs Bruce: Forgotten Polar Hero’

Isobel Williams & John Dudeney

Admission €10

Film Athy Heritage Centre – Museum

3.30pm Ice and the Sky

This documentary follows the story of the French Scientist Claude Lorius who has participated in 22 expeditions to the polar region since the 1960’s. Claude is a long time campaigner about global warming and in this elegiac film he reflects on his scientific endeavours including his key work in ice cores. The film was directed by Luc Jacquet best known as the Oscar wining director of March of the Penguins.

Admission €10

Cultural Evening Athy Arts Centre

8.30pm ‘Shackleton’s Carpenter’

This one man show, written by Gail Louw, tells the story of Harry McNish, the carpenter on Shackleton’s ill fated ship, Endurance.

Performed by Malcolm Rennie and directed by Tony Milner

Admission €10

Monday, 29th October 2018

Field Trip Assemble at The Heritage Centre – Museum

10.00am Bus tour through Shackleton country. A Visit to Ballitore and the home of Mary Leadbeater, writer and ancestor of Ernest Shackleton and Quaker Meeting House.

Fare €10

Shackleton Autumn School 2018
18th Shackleton School Booking Form

Search Shackleton Museum Athy

Thanks Dermott, I must keep an eye out for this stuff!

We sometimes go for a spin to Shackleton's Rest, at Crookstown Inn, recommend the Mini Breakfast, or the Full Breakfast for that matter. Would have appealed to the Endurance guys!!!

I spent 7 very happy months on South Georgia ( winter)

Somewhere i have some great photos of Shackletons cross which is on King Edward point (They could be slides having said that)

His grave which is in the cemetry at Grytviken is piled high with stuff that passing ships leave there out of respect.

Oh and having actually lived there during the winter i have the greatest and utmost respect for what he achieved

His grave which is in the cemetry at Grytviken is piled high with stuff that passing ships leave there out of respect.

Well that's relatively new, must be all the feking tourist boats that call in there these days :rolleyes:

Oh and we used to call SG the 'banana belt' :D

Well that's relatively new, must be all the feking tourist boats that call in there these days :rolleyes:

Oh and we used to call SG the 'banana belt' :D

That was 85 and yes positively tropical compared to where you went

to be fair it was the winter when i was there and it did get bloody cold

Think that is the start of the descent to Grytviken, looks very familiar, slid all the way down that hill in my survival suit when I was there 10 years ago...

attachment.php

Even got chased by a fur seal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqE-osstCXg

Obviously you didnt :blagblah the seals had been agitated earlier by crew from the British Navy frigate in the pic were visiting the island, apparently some of them were kicking the seals around, idiots.

Tom Crean lake
1917885_1261474131673_1647137_n.jpg

18052_1304134958167_537652_n.jpg

Well the Matlows weren't the only one's to have it in for the fur seals.....

CNV00029-XL.jpg

Public Health Warning, not to be agitated, pic quality not the best but bull elephant seals are a cranky lot
1917885_1261473771664_4303511_n.jpg

Pussy cats.....

CNV00066-XL.jpg

Compared to this bugger that circled our small inflatable with an engine that wouldn't start :blast

CNV00065-XL.jpg

I've read a few Shackleton books and am most impressed by his leadership skills, especially never leaving a man behind. I am using his story and video's etc now to facilitate learning about different leadership styles with my year 10's. They are quite taken aback at how different things were and what these his crew went through. Hopefully 1 will get the message

These plaques came up on the DMTC facebook page, they are in Kinsale where the club is holding The Way West Rally this weekend.

Attachments

• Kinsale Shackleton Plaques Nov 2018.JPG
    Kinsale Shackleton Plaques Nov 2018.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 130

Back
Top Bottom