Swap to twincam or LC? worth it?

Hungrytang

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey guys

A couple of months ago I got myself an fully loaded 09 1200gs.
I had a GS on an 05 plate a few years ago and it was the only bike ive ever regretted getting rid of so when the 09 came up cheap I went for it.

Since then ive had it mapped by Hilltop and have done about 5k on it really, love the bike.

However im wanting to keep a GS for a number of years and im debating swapping to a twincam or LC.
My budget wont stretch to one of the newest LC,s so I would have to get one at say 13-14 plate. or I could get a nice 11-12 plate twincam Triple black maybe?

So my question is should I upgrade to the twincam model? would I even notice a difference?
Or should I got for an early LC?
Or just stick with my very nice 09

So many questions....

What did you think when you test rode a newer bike?

Ive not ridden a twincam or an LC as of yet

OK, so the logical next step would be to do that.

BTW.. I have a single cam '09 as per you, albeit the Adventure. No interest in changing as it has all I need.

I’ve owned every incarnation of boxer twin since the R 1100. Currently riding a 2017 GSA.

Without doubt the ‘best’ one I owned was my 2013 GSA TC. Not only was it good value to buy as BMW was heavily discounting them to make way for the LC but it gave me the most smiles per mile. I only sold it because my GS is my daily vehicle and I was starting to get into too high a mileage. The chap I sold it to on here went to Norway on it earlier in the year and it’s still going strong.

The newer LCs are faster, better handling and more refined but lack the soul of the air cooled twins.

If you’re happy with your current bike splashing out on a TC probably won’t make you any happier (just poorer). But, the late model TCs had addressed many of the issues of the earlier models.

Me? I’d buy a nice TC. Ride a couple and you can make up your own mind

I agree with above post, although my best bike I miss the most was my late model 2013 Gs Lc, should never have traded it in, but then I’ve still the desire to move on..
I also have an R9T Urban, just love it, & It has the last of the Twin Cam engines which means I put it in a high gear & let it chug merrily away, I wouldn’t want the Lc engine in it, I think it would spoil it.
I also wouldn’t want to go back to my 2011 plate GSA as I think it’s dated now compared to the Lc..

Hope that helps.. good luck

A vote for the TC here.

Mine is a 2011, has nearly 70k up, has transported me to many places in the world
without fault and with great character. I service it myself and it runs like clockwork.
As Steve (spm0912) above says, they are a very well sorted bike and excellent value.

You’ve just got ‘new bike syndrome’.........

It’ll pass :rob

TC all day

This is my current bike and I love it but the bike i wished I'd kept was my 2012 TC Triple Black Adventure. I got swept up in the hype when the WC GSA came out on a 14 plate and chopped it in. That twin cam was and should have been my Keeper but it slipped through my fingers into history.

Attachments

• IMG-20180812-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180812-WA0008.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,066
Ditched my LC and went back to a TC and just love it. Fitted with AF XIED units, it is all I need. Smooth, punchy and with bags of character.

Here's my thoughts if it helps. I started with an 05 GS1200 which I "adventurised" over time - Adventure tank, luggage, crash bars etc. Fitted Ohlins front and rear, Corbin heated seats and various trinkets. Then sold it and always missed it - it did everything well, it was comfy all day, took me and SWMBO all over this country and abroad. Recently I had the chance to buy from a dealer a 12 reg 1200 TC Adventure with 7500 on it. Is it better than my 05 GS? It certainly is - engine is smoother, there's a lovely step in power at about 7000 rpm, it's well specced with ESA etc. Having tried an LC Adventure with all the bits, I don't feel the difference in cost is warranted. While the extra power would be nice, the TFT screen would be nice, I'd rather have a TC and the money IMHO. Just my thoughts!

Here's my thoughts if it helps. I started with an 05 GS1200 which I "adventurised" over time - Adventure tank, luggage, crash bars etc. Fitted Ohlins front and rear, Corbin heated seats and various trinkets. Then sold it and always missed it - it did everything well, it was comfy all day, took me and SWMBO all over this country and abroad. Recently I had the chance to buy from a dealer a 12 reg 1200 TC Adventure with 7500 on it. Is it better than my 05 GS? It certainly is - engine is smoother, there's a lovely step in power at about 7000 rpm, it's well specced with ESA etc. Having tried an LC Adventure with all the bits, I don't feel the difference in cost is warranted. While the extra power would be nice, the TFT screen would be nice, I'd rather have a TC and the money IMHO. Just my thoughts!

Nail on head.....the LC is a great bike....but so is the TC. Is the LC better than the TC.....certainly is on paper with a motor that is in a different class BUT is it £12000 better (cost to change to a new one).....nope...not even close and I am in the fortunate position to buy if needs be (not boasting...just putting some context in here).

As others have said, best to test before you decide.

If you have a remapped 09 bike you won't see much difference with a TC. If you're happy with what you have stick with it.

I had several GS's from the early 1100's to the latest 2013 WC. I had a 2012 TC and was talked into taking the latest WC out for a test ride.

Naively I was seduced by it's slightly nimbler feel, maybe due to it having a lighter flywheel, and ended up swapping my well sorted TC.

One of my biggest biking mistakes. The TC was a well sorted bike with low mileage. The WC turned out to be nothing but a headache and after 16month's I was well pleased to get rid of it. I have not returned to BMW since.

I had a 90th edition TC and it was a superb machine, did everything amazingly well, I sold it purely because it was such a good specimen and I didn't want to bin it as I started taking it onto roads less travelled, so I sold it and bought an off road dedicated machine, I miss the old girl, she wasn't a looker though. Then I saw the spy shots of the GS Rallye and I totally fell in love, in my eyes one of the best looking GS's out there, and a few years later I got myself a 2017 model, and I absolutely love the bike, its rides good and looks good, its suffered from the loose spoke issue and I had the rear wheel replaced but the service I received when this happened meant I wasn't put out at all. Im personally very happy with my choice.

Back
Top Bottom