Throttle body sync.

Mac One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all

When you do a TB sync using a GS 911, it locks the idle stepper motors while you balance the TBs.

I've read you can also do it by disconnecting the plugs from the stepper motors.

Can anyone tell me when the stepper motors are in the correct position to be disconnected, ie do they return to this position when you
switch off the ignition (after the bikes been running) or when you switch the ignition on and the bike goes through it's pre- start up checks.

Or does it make no difference, as long as they're disconnected.

Thanks.

The GS911 doesn't do the synch. you use something like a Carbtune Pro to set the throttle bodies up by adjusting the cables.
You can use the 911 to park the idle motors first though.

The GS911 doesn't do the synch. you use something like a Carbtune Pro to set the throttle bodies up by adjusting the cables.
You can use the 911 to park the idle motors first though.

Yes.....I had the TBs balanced really well, the bike was pulling like a train and then somehow i've upset it again and i can't get it back as good.
I was using the GS 911 along with a twin carbtune pro and I've been setting the balance then going for a run to try it out. I was just trying to cut out connecting up the laptop and GS 911 every time I have to adjust it.

Yes.....I had the TBs balanced really well, the bike was pulling like a train and then somehow i've upset it again and i can't get it back as good.
I was using the GS 911 along with a twin carbtune pro and I've been setting the balance then going for a run to try it out. I was just trying to cut out connecting up the laptop and GS 911 every time I have to adjust it.

Sorry, i mis-interpreted the post.
TBH. i don't bother parking the stepper motors; i do though, still get a good result.

I disconnect the stepper motors when they’ve parked themselves after the ignition has been switched off.

When you then fire the bike up it won’t idle very well but it’ll run fine at 3k or wherever you balance it.

When you’ve done switch off the engine and then reconnect the idle stepper motors.

Note that you’ll have a couple of fault codes stored for the stepper motor supply failures.

After I’ve reconnected the stepper motors I usually do a calibration on them but I’m not sure that’s entirely necessary.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.....after taking advice from a earlier post I've been concentrating my efforts on the pick up point just as the TBs open which is just off idle, so i think it's better not to have the stepper motors operating. I got it right the last time i tried it and the bike pulled better, gear changes became slicker, popping on the overrun all but stopped so I,m determined to get it back to that.

Cheers :thumby:

I disconnect the stepper motors when they’ve parked themselves after the ignition has been switched off.

When you then fire the bike up it won’t idle very well but it’ll run fine at 3k or wherever you balance it.

When you’ve done switch off the engine and then reconnect the idle stepper motors.

Note that you’ll have a couple of fault codes stored for the stepper motor supply failures.

After I’ve reconnected the stepper motors I usually do a calibration on them but I’m not sure that’s entirely necessary.

That's how I did mine. But always adjust the cables so the LHS moves first as that's the one seen by the Throttle Position Sensor. So make sure that's opening first and then adjust the RHS until its balanced.

That's how I did mine. But always adjust the cables so the LHS moves first as that's the one seen by the Throttle Position Sensor. So make sure that's opening first and then adjust the RHS until its balanced.

I hadn't thought about getting the left hand side to open first. I'll do that on my next attempt. :beerjug:

I hadn't thought about getting the left hand side to open first. I'll do that on my next attempt. :beerjug:

Mine has always ticked over lumpy. Stepper motors were swapped for a known good pair - no change. Valve clearances checked and set - no change. Reset the throttle balance (Twinmax electronic balancer) - no change. Then had another try adjusting up from the right and it was smoother. I need to try adjusting the RH cable tighter in tiny steps to see if the tickover improves some more.

Back
Top Bottom