GSA vs 1290R

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps

Looking for some real world comparisons between these two from folk who’ve owned and lived with both.

I have 1200 GSA for 18 months and find it a great bike. I’ve also had the 1290 SA-T which I loved but just couldn’t get on with the screen or the low speed throttle control, yes I know I should have had it Hilltopped. It’s the only bike I’ve ever had that made me scream out loud with joy apart maybe from my 450 EXC.

I’ve got the chance to swap my GSA for a 1290R which I’m taking for a long test ride later this week. The bike needs to do everything - long distance tour, commute in all weathers, nip down the shops, dash up to Scotland from the Home Counties when required.

So what’s your comparison?

Nin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Will you be taking it off-road much? I’ve had GSA’S, GS’s, and now the 1290S, but have ridden the 1290R, so may be able to help.

Cheers Nutty

Yes I’ll do some gravel trails and dirt tracks but no hardcore stuff.

I seem to remember you’re a Premier Bikes customer, they’re just 2 miles down the road from me, are you local?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will you be taking it off-road much? .

You can fit 19/17 wheels from the S to the R and with the manual suspension its less worry when you no longer have the warranty to look after you, I found the 21" wheel rather vague especially when riding at a fast pace, I'm sure this will be noticeable compared to the GS, weather protection ain't anywhere like the big gs, the size makes the ktm very agile.

The bars are wider compared to the S model, I preferred the wider bars, it did feel somewhat gs like.

Great bike and the quality especially the orange frame looks superior to the Gs .

There's an ever increasing amount of tossers swapping to the orange side, so KTM must be doing something right.
I had GS twin cam, then swapped it for a KTM SA when they first came out, in fairness, it was the 1290 engine that sold it to me. I owned it a year and did 12k on it, including quite a big euro tour, including a visit to the KTM factory at Mattinhofen. I enjoyed the KTM but never fell in love with it, I also never trusted its reliability ( I know BMW's aren't great either!) and was left totally underwhelmed by the lack of dealership knowledge of the product when I had issues with it and the lack of customer care when needed. We are ( or were talking about a 16K bike here ) that ran out of fuel twice. On the first occasion I was told to get it to the dealership as it could be a fuel pick up issue, the second time it ran out I phoned the dealer at the side of the road to be told " I sell them, I don't make them !!" I was fooking steaming. Anyway, it goes in a second time to find one of the fuel tank taps was closed, hence why it was running out of fuel but still showing half full, not really reassuring!
The heated seats never really worked well, the heated grips were shit, I found the menus process a ball ache, the screen adjustment of poor quality, and the KTM sat nav bracket a waste of money. My Mrs also found it really uncomfortable on the back, although some rear peg adjusters sorted that ( at great expense ).... but that engine is a peach, though I am a fan of big V twins anyway.......so would I buy another KTM..... Not a chance, depreciation can be a serious cause for concern also because KTM, as we all know heavily discount their bikes periodically, great for new owners, not so for current owners.
I am now on a 15 plate GSA TE which have had nearly 2 years and I absolutely love it. Yes, it hasn't got the pace of the KTM, but in the right hands they are still a very capable bike, and extremely easy to ride, in my opinion it does everything better than the KTM did. We have done big euro tour on it, and not once did SHMO. complain .
When I test rode the BMW I went on the KTM, so straight off one onto the other, and I knew I'd be trying to do a deal for the GSA. Yes I know there are corrosion issues with them, yes they have their reliability issues, but look at the volume of them that are on the road ( especially in Europe) and whether we like it or not BMW generally sort the issues... would KTM swap a full engine due to paint defects.... ? Not a chance. Would a BMW technician say to you while stranded at the side of the road" I only mend them not make them "..... not a chance.
I have absolutely no thoughts of chopping my GSA in , it does everything without fuss, but when the time comes I won't give KTM a thought.

Cheers DD, yes I’d like to try a 600 mile day in the rain and see how it feels.

Have they got the heated grips sorted now?

You can fit 19/17 wheels from the S to the R and with the manual suspension its less worry when you no longer have the warranty to look after you, I found the 21" wheel rather vague especially when riding at a fast pace, I'm sure this will be noticeable compared to the GS, weather protection ain't anywhere like the big gs, the size makes the ktm very agile.

The bars are wider compared to the S model, I preferred the wider bars, it did feel somewhat gs like.

Great bike and the quality especially the orange frame looks superior to the Gs .

Are you sure - certain the bars on the S and the R are exactly the same and both have the same part number: 6070200100033 ;)

Having had a 2014 GSA would not go back - 1290 SAS is much lighter and more flickable. Comfort of the 1290 SAS is good for me with Ergo seat and Givi Screen :thumb

Also find weather protection good with the taller screen fitted.

Thanks Phatcat. I’ve got Premier Bikes 2 miles down the road and have dealt with them and Andy for over 25 years now, including when he was at BMW, so I’m happy with the tech backup.

I take your point on the quality of the experience though. BMW do a nice package. TBH they’re both brilliant bikes that I would be proud to own and ride.

Cheers DD, yes I’d like to try a 600 mile day in the rain and see how it feels.

Have they got the heated grips sorted now?

Heated grips on mine work well ;)

Are you sure - certain the bars on the S and the R are exactly the same and both have the same part number: 6070200100033 ;)

It might have 1190R bars on the bike, it's a bitsa, I thought they were stock but my mate says different.

Bars on the R and S are the same.

Heated grips and seat are brilliant.

Bike is shit loads of fun, compared to the GS.

Depreciation worrying is for gays.

Now get one. :D

I find the KTM seats crap, my 1090 and 1190 stock seats were both awful - the Mrs tried both the 1090 and 1190 stock seats on our 1090 and agreed, we both find the PP Seats very good. On the test rides I took on the 1290S / 1290R I found the seats feeling a bit uncomfortable before the end of the run (but I think they may be a bot better than the 1190)

Heated grips on both my Adventures seem a bit weedy and inconsistent, sometimes they feel quite good on medium, yet others they do not seem to be working so well and even when put on high they feel little / no better - but for 3 season riding they do a good job of allowing me to wear a thinner pair og gloves and / or no needing to swap gloves when on tour with weather changes / going up & down passes. Oxford Grips I had on my V-Strom and the Mrs has on her TDM are much better - but I like the KTM grips integration with the controls.

I also find the dealer knows what they are on about (Premier) which has to be a consideration, would not want to buy any bike from a mob that does not know their onions.

Not tried the latest GSA - had a go on the last A\C model and much preferred the stock bike, but found the latest 1200 felt very weedy power wise with a big hole in the mid-range just where you want a bit of grunt for overtaking which was frustrating, I think our 1090 has as much low down grunt and more top end, my 1190 is far superior from tickover to redline and there is no finer touring engine than that of the KTM 1290.

Cheers Nutty

Yes I’ll do some gravel trails and dirt tracks but no hardcore stuff.

I seem to remember you’re a Premier Bikes customer, they’re just 2 miles down the road from me, are you local?

I am fresh back from Premier last night. I personally been asked if I would be interested in a 1290R as they have great offers on them (no idea what it is though), it’s an option but I want to wonder away from spoked wheels.

I have enjoyed 1290S as I had it for 3 hours. Deal was pretty good, but my PX was valued rather low.

The main reason I haven’t put a deposit on one, is insurance cost. A whole £1500 for a year compared to my GSA at £770. Yes it is postcode thing. Not much I can do about that apart from moving into village 100miles away from where I am now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone around on the insurance, I can easily get quotes of over £1,000 for my 1190, and just as easily find them at under £300, often if you ask your current insurer about swapping bikes they will provide a ridiculous quote.

Just use a comparison site like Go Compare, put in the details and you will see how little (or how much) you really have to pay, then take the best quote (or one you like best) buy your excellent new KTM and tell your current insurer to go fuck themselves ;-)

Last year due to adding the 1090 to the garage my bill went from about £400 (V-Strom & 1190) to over £1500 (V-Strom & 1190 & 1090 with Mrs as named driver). Took me 5 minutes to slash that bill in half using go compare and getting best prices on 3 separate policies, cut it down a bit further with negotiation with Bennetts, generally a bunch of Arseholes, but the fella I spoke to put a lot of effort into getting me the best price he could, if ever you phone them ask for Guss (with the funny voice)

I’ve recently gone from a 2015 GS TE to a 1290 SAT, the SAT is a 17ym but was unregistered and I ended up with a mega deal. I’ll be honest and say I wouldn’t have even considered a KTM if I could’ve got a deal on a new 1200 GS but due to the fact they were try8ng to have my pants down on my px I ended up making the switch. I’ve done 700 miles so far, (it has just been in for its first service at my local dealer Triple D, Kendal) and I’m loving it so far. The heated grips and seats seem to work well enough so far, certainly the grips are as good as on the GS if not better. The engine is fantastic but I have noticed that you need to use the gearbox more than on the GS, not a big issue for me and I Haven’t noticed any low speed issues so far as mentioned in another post on this thread. The bike feels much lighter than the GS which is a massive advantage when slow manoeuvring for a short arse like me. Admittedly the screen is not the best and I will be changing this soon.

1290R was so good that I sold it and bought an ATAS.

0276c216e20de2e1b3f52000e19c3816.jpg

7ce09e6f9f86c96012fb6843028948ea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom