Macbooks

Mikey

well just a little twisted
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It's getting a bit long in the tooth now and I'm wondering whether to replace it or upgrade it. I'm not that computer savvy so I don't know what's involved.

What's brought it up is I've been offered a good deal on a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro.

Really don't know, so ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you can still get the non-touchbar model of MacBook, which is what I would recommend.

I think the latest (post 2017) model is ‘too’ compact and has a keyboard which is poor in action and poorer in quality.

At the very least - check the action of the keyboard.

I've got a 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It's getting a bit long in the tooth now and I'm wondering whether to replace it or upgrade it. I'm not that computer savvy so I don't know what's involved.

What's brought it up is I've been offered a good deal on a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro.

In computer terms it’s old. If it’s still doing what you need I’d keep it. Just make sure to have everything backed up. JJH

As long as the screen is holding up, and as others say if it suits your needs stick with it, however the speed of the processor and the quality of the later screens at least 2015 upwards are way better.

In computer terms it’s old. If it’s still doing what you need I’d keep it. Just make sure to have everything backed up. JJH

As long as the screen is holding up, and as others say if it suits your needs stick with it, however the speed of the processor and the quality of the later screens at least 2015 upwards are way better.

It's all working as it should. My problem is I can't upgrade the OS and I'm unable to download new programs because of this, this can be very frustrating.

It's all working as it should. My problem is I can't upgrade the OS and I'm unable to download new programs because of this, this can be very frustrating.

Yes that is quite normal, that is how they get you to upgrade your machine, just get something with a retina screen around 2015 and you will have a good machine.

i have a 2009 15inch macbook pro....never had any issues with it at all, does exactly what i need, browse the web, emails etc... if you are wanting to run big software programmes databases etc,maybe upgrade, but if there is nothing wrong why spend money when you dont have too? the new mac books must be well over £1000 ?

That’s probably your prompt then. JJH

i have a 2009 15inch macbook pro....never had any issues with it at all, does exactly what i need, browse the web, emails etc... if you are wanting to run big software programmes databases etc,maybe upgrade, but if there is nothing wrong why spend money when you dont have too? the new mac books must be well over £1000 ?
I've got no issues with mine apart from the up to date programs. I've just bought a new camera and my existing software won't handle it's RAW conversions. I can't even download the DNG conversion program.

I've got no issues with mine apart from the up to date programs. I've just bought a new camera and my existing software won't handle it's RAW conversions. I can't even download the DNG conversion program.

New camera new software, nothing unusual with that, looks like you are going to have to move up, unless you can find an alternative software that will run on your old mac.

I’ve still got a MacBook Black 2007 which still works. But these days it’s useless really as everything has moved on and it either won’t run it or if it will it’s slow. (I only keep it as it’s iconic). I’ve other iMac computers but have also just bought a new MacBook 13”. Love it and everything about it. Screen quality is fantastic - as is the case with most higher quality laptops these days but it’s the speed, intelligent connectivity with other devices and ease of use.

Top tip if you are buying new: if you know anyone working in education or can buy on line logged on through a university, college or school, you can get discount. I certainly got well over £100 off buying it that way.

My current weapon of choice is the mid 2012 unibody MacBook Pro. It’s quicker and easier to use than all the modern crap my colleagues use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm typing this on a 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro...Retina display.

It's on it's 3rd screen (Google MacBook 'Staingate') and the tab down button is now sticking.

I'm old school, things TEND to last me ages. This MacBook has never been out of the house other than for repair.

FWIW..I wouldn't touch anything Apple/Retina again.

My current weapon of choice is the mid 2012 unibody MacBook Pro. It’s quicker and easier to use than all the modern crap my colleagues use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree they are pretty bomb proof and good to use. That said, as with all computers, Apple being no different, in time they slow up either as a consequence of planned/built in obsolescence or simply inability to cope as the technology moves on. Not sure why in terms of hardware why it should be any quicker or easier to use than a recent model however. But I could be wrong..

I'm typing this on a 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro...Retina display.

It's on it's 3rd screen (Google MacBook 'Staingate') and the tab down button is now sticking.

I'm old school, things TEND to last me ages. This MacBook has never been out of the house other than for repair.

FWIW..I wouldn't touch anything Apple/Retina again.

Good info, did not know that wifey has an early 2013 retina 15 inch model that is in the list, she uses it daily, and not a slightest stain on her screen, maybe she got lucky, at least they replace the screen which is good news.

Good info, did not know that wifey has an early 2013 retina 15 inch model that is in the list, she uses it daily, and not a slightest stain on her screen, maybe she got lucky, at least they replace the screen which is good news.

I have a late 2013 model, all singing dancing 13" retina bought early 2014, screen is perfect, it's only used once a day for around 1hr to send emails and browse the web so very little use really, tbh its waisted on me but I like ease of use, the keys 2 - S - W work intermittently, I paid for the additional warranty that has expired now however Apple want £500 to replace the keyboard, I'm having to call upon my 6 yr consumer rights.

I have a late 2013 model, all singing dancing 13" retina bought early 2014, screen is perfect, it's only used once a day for around 1hr to send emails and browse the web so very little use really, tbh its waisted on me but I like ease of use, the keys 2 - S - W work intermittently, I paid for the additional warranty that has expired now however Apple want £500 to replace the keyboard, I'm having to call upon my 6 yr consumer rights.

It is possible to diy change but very difficult.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2013+Keyboard+Replacement/77657

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and been able to upgrade RAM and fit SSD.

This still runs latest software (for now).

If you want to use photo software do you need to stick with a laptop?

Is the refurbished laptop a better deal than this IMac?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...a-John-Lewis-14-month-warranty?highlight=iMac

Back
Top Bottom