LED`s

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2012 R1200Gs Triple Black.

HID`s fitted at the moment and as it will need an MOT next year, importing from Portugal, I am looking at fitting LED`s.
Can anybody please help with best types and where to buy from!

Also do you change main and dip or just dip?

TIA
Paul

I have done a fair bit of research regarding these for my RT (I'm just waiting on funds to justify it). General consensus is that Cyclops do the best kit, Sport Touring are a UK distributor for Cyclops. You can buy a kit that has everything including caps with more space to accommodate the LEDs.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

You can buy led's that just replaces your bulb, no ballast or anything else. You can buy a kit that comes with a nice fitting grommet to fit around the bulb - that is generally bit of an issue, finding a good grommet.

I've been running one on the dip for about a year now. The only issue is that it would cut out when it was too hot in the summer, in traffic. I fixed this by 3D printing a little air intake that directs some air flow across the cooling fins - it has not cut out since - maybe I should print some more and sell them on here?!

I bought my lamp kit from Solzy.be (I think that's the right name?). But I later bumped into the same bulbs, a pair, for half what I paid for one!

Beam is bright! Not like a bloody yellow candle like the oem. Light is very white, no blue. The light isn't scattered, there is still a neat cut off line. Passed its mot with no issues or comments.

20171126_183101.jpeg20171126_183056.jpeg20171126_183040.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You can buy led's that just replaces your bulb, no ballast or anything else. You can buy a kit that comes with a nice fitting grommet to fit around the bulb - that is generally bit of an issue, finding a good grommet.

I've been running one on the dip for about a year now. The only issue is that it would cut out when it was too hot in the summer, in traffic. I fixed this by 3D printing a little air intake that directs some air flow across the cooling fins - it has not cut out since - maybe I should print some more and sell them on here?!

I bought my lamp kit from Solzy.be (I think that's the right name?). But I later bumped into the same bulbs, a pair, for half what I paid for one!

Beam is bright! Not like a bloody yellow candle like the oem. Light is very white, no blue. The light isn't scattered, there is still a neat cut off line. Passed its mot with no issues or comments.

View attachment 391159View attachment 391160View attachment 391161

Do you have a link to the cheaper version?

Hi I have a 1200gs triple black 2011.
I fitted led had them on for 2 years.
Massive improvement on original candle!
BEWARE there is a lot of confusion with mot testers.
I had them on my vauxhall and they would NOT pass the car with them on.
The bike was a near miss as well as the tester had to phone up for clarification and I'm still not sure if it will pass next time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I asked my mot tester over the years about my hid; his advice was as follows.

You are required to have self levelling suspension and headlight wash to comply with test. For a CAR.

There is no mention of motorbikes.

As long as you are not dazzling anyone, why would it fail, is his question.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to the cheaper version?

Yes. Not at home right now. Will dig it out and post on here

Cheers for all the advice, I will now sit and consider.
Slipperyeel - the company I think you are referring to are sol2.be - I have messaged them and will wait to hear they are about €80 which includes the rubber cover.
I think what ever I do it will be to dip only and the main will still be halogen.

Many thanks to all :D:D

I’ve got a Cyclops dipped beam led bulb on my 2009 1200GS and it failed its last MOT for not having a clean pattern. Passed fine when I swapped it for a standard bulb.

Faulty bulb or something else?

My MOT tester passed my GSA with a set of Hid50 from Les Wassall two weeks ago.

They didn't seem at all concerned about them, obviously thats no guarantee that your MOT tester will treat your bike the same.

We endured a lengthy thread on headlight legality only recently. MoT regs, updated in May '18 are perfectly clear on the subject.

Please can we not go over the same issues again.

HID & retro-fit LED bulbs, fitted to the original headlights, are sold 'not for street use' or words to that effect. Either you take your chances & maybe expect to have to swap them out at MoT if the tester notices any light scatter, or you fit some top end halogens instead; Osram Nightracers or the like. I know the collective doesn't appreciate being told how they may illuminate the road ahead, but that's how it is. Your choice.

Thank you. Did you have any issues with canbus?

None. Literally plug & play.

I also changed the parking lamp bulb so the colour matches - THAT did give a LampF fail on the dash. But i know what it is and it only shows at start up - disappears after it fires up. When the bulb was dimming due to overheat, i got a LampF on the dash. But as said, I've cured that little issue :thumb2

I had a pair of cyclops 4000 lumen in my gs, its a neat install no external stuff fan cooled, very bright ,
no issue at mot but thats an open debate,
some later 17 on bikes do ping a bulb warning so might need a ballast, my 15 my was ok,
Swapped to an r 9 t, so they wont fit,
Pm me if interested,

It's important to seal the backs of the headlights - unless you want the internals to get corroded.

The headlight beam adjustment moves the reflector inside the headlight body. If you have LED bulbs with large heat sinks, the reflector cannot move properly so you risk breaking the (very weak) adjusters or having beams at odd angles that won't adjust.

I turned some metal off my LED passive heat sinks and all has been good, but a fan cooled bulb would be a better bet as they have smaller heat sinks.

MOTs have all been fine. The LED light cutoff is good on dipped beam (main beam simply has to light up) and unless you really peer into the headlight, the LED bulb top looks a lot like the metalised cap of a halogen bulb.

Fitted 2 of these leds with heat sinks and managed to fit on the BMW light covers (just) first time out the dipped beam failed within 10 mins, turned the bike off and whipped the cover off, started bike and all ok for 50 miles ride, my question is .... do these leds just cut out when too hot? I need to make up or find some rubber covers after looking at a past thread.

Back
Top Bottom