19/17 Rally Raid Wheels Fitted

No problem with my tyre touching the mudguard, but on checking my chain again today, whilst the adjusting blocks are on the red section of the scale, I am wondering if going down from 124 links to 122 would make it too tight on my bike.
I've never fitted or shortened a chain before so I've no experience, but is there any reason why I can't shorten it by one link to 123?

Thanks for any advice.

No problem with my tyre touching the mudguard, but on checking my chain again today, whilst the adjusting blocks are on the red section of the scale, I am wondering if going down from 124 links to 122 would make it too tight on my bike.
I've never fitted or shortened a chain before so I've no experience, but is there any reason why I can't shorten it by one link to 123?

Thanks for any advice.

122 fits fine, theres plenty forward movement on the wheel to fit this chain, ive fitted a 122 and you still need to adjust the blocks to take the slack out of the chain.

123 is impossible see below !!

Count each outside link, which is easily identifiable by the large plates on either side of the link. Continue counting until you reach the beginning. Now you should have 64 Multiply the count by two to include the inner links. As an example, if you counted 64 outer links, you will know there are 124 total links in total, taking ONE link out is equivalent to 2 outers so you end up with 122 total.

You can buy a riveting link from ebay to join the chain back up once you have shortened it, look for a 525 riveting link, however you need a tool to fit it.

Hope that helps :thumb2

122 fits fine, theres plenty forward movement on the wheel to fit this chain, ive fitted a 122 and you still need to adjust the blocks to take the slack out of the chain.

123 is impossible see below !!

Count each outside link, which is easily identifiable by the large plates on either side of the link. Continue counting until you reach the beginning. Now you should have 64 Multiply the count by two to include the inner links. As an example, if you counted 64 outer links, you will know there are 124 total links in total, taking ONE link out is equivalent to 2 outers so you end up with 122 total.

You can buy a riveting link from ebay to join the chain back up once you have shortened it, look for a 525 riveting link, however you need a tool to fit it.

Hope that helps :thumb2
OK that is helpful thanks.

19-17-Rally-Raid-Wheels-Fitted

Would be interested in any information on the handling of the bike with this conversion vs standard 21"/18 setup.

Would be interested in any information on the handling of the bike with this conversion vs standard 21"/18 setup.
I've only done about 500 mls since fitting them, and I don't venture offroad, but I would say there is a considerable improvement, although I have to say the bike doesn't handle badly on the 21/18 setup. Riding twisties does seem a lot more fun and confidence inspiring, probably more like a sports tourer. The slightly lower saddle height helps as well.
Still early days for me though, but so far I am very happy with them.

Hmmm..... yet another problem I now need to consider.

I bought these 19" and 17" RallyRaid tubeless wheelset with the idea that during Summer I'd use my 21" and 18" RallyRaid off-road wheels.

Then during Winter I'd swap them over for the 19" and 17" tubeless wheelset.. just for Winter.

Didn't realise I need to fit a new chain???

Thought it'd be an easy wheel swap (I already have a spare sprocket carrier)....

Damn :(

Well..... according to all I've read above....

My bike is a Standard DCT Model.

Because the DCT is geared for a 18" rear and 21" front, it's very sensitive to changes.

The RallyRaid 19" front and 17" rear change the circumference and upsets everything.

So RallyRaid issue new ABS Rings to compensate and a slightly smaller rear sprocket (42 tooth, down to a 41 tooth).

However, being a smaller sprocket means the standard chain is too long. It has too much slack.

So the adjusters wind back too far into the red-zone meaning you now need a shorter chain

...... crap

I bought these 19" and 17" RallyRaid tubeless wheelset with the idea that during Summer I'd use my 21" and 18" RallyRaid off-road wheels.

Then during Winter I'd swap them over for the 19" and 17" tubeless wheelset.. just for Winter.

Thought it'd be an easy wheel swap (I already have a spare sprocket carrier)....

I didn't realise that either , surely 1 tooth smaller wouldn't make that much difference ?

During Winter when there's salt all over the roads, I thought my DCT on these RallyRaid tubeless wheelset would be perfect.

Stainless steel spokes and alloy rims, no rust.

Tubeless convenience and road bias tyres for better grip.

My plan was to just swap them over as and when needed :)

I don't think enough R&D went into the use of these wheels on a Dct, if I recall the recommended sprox and abs ring was from feedback of one customer, so I presume they were originally intended for a manual bike.

I've had my wheels on from new and tbh I don't think the 19/17 RR wheels are ideally suited for a DCT even with the supplied sprox from RR I find the bike changes down into 1st when it's not necessary I've ran mine back to back with a stock bike and mine would change down into 1st on its own while crawling whilst the stock bike would hold 2nd.

Oh I also bought a new chain, I can't remember the make but its extra heavy duty and have never had to make any adjustment in 4K.

Would I buy em again for a DCT ? No (only a manual bike) I bought the wheels for a sportier ride and to allow a wider selection of tyres suited to my riding style, needless to say I've found many flaws in the DCT, highlighted after the fitting of the wheels.

My wheels came with a 40T sprocket and I did change to a shorter chain as the adjusters were in the red zone. Just wondering if you were to fit a 41T sprocket you may be OK with the standard chain?

My wheels came with a 40T sprocket ?

Mine too, I bought a renthal hard anodised as the 40T is shared across a few Honda bikes, the supplied sprox looks cheap n nasty.

If the wheels were on a manual bike that may suggest the difference in sprox size.

The red is to warn you that the chain has stretched and needs attention, if you know your chain is good the red shouldn't be a concern apart from a longer wheelbase.

The red is to warn you that the chain has stretched and needs attention, if you know your chain is good the red shouldn't be a concern apart from a longer wheelbase.

That makes sense :thumb2

I don't think enough R&D went into the use of these wheels on a Dct, if I recall the recommended sprox and abs ring was from feedback of one customer, so I presume they were originally intended for a manual bike.

I've had my wheels on from new and tbh I don't think the 19/17 RR wheels are ideally suited for a DCT even with the supplied sprox from RR I find the bike changes down into 1st when it's not necessary I've ran mine back to back with a stock bike and mine would change down into 1st on its own while crawling whilst the stock bike would hold 2nd.

Oh I also bought a new chain, I can't remember the make but its extra heavy duty and have never had to make any adjustment in 4K.

Would I buy em again for a DCT ? No (only a manual bike) I bought the wheels for a sportier ride and to allow a wider selection of tyres suited to my riding style, needless to say I've found many flaws in the DCT, highlighted after the fitting of the wheels.

But I mainly run in 'Manual' mode anyways..... so shouldn't affect me anyways

Back
Top Bottom