Recommend a pattern fuel pump for 08 GSA

andeebee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a pattern fuel pump (ie cheap) to replace my 08 GSA unit?
Recent fuel problems prompted me to look for a replacement and £30 for a pattern one seemed a good deal.
I have the tank stripped down and attempted to fit this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142804695187 but the pump supplied is slightly larger in diameter and a bit longer. The diameter is the problem as it wont fit into the white plastic assembly. Was supposed to be a direct fit so will need to return.

My opinion is dont mess with fuel, use the stock pump.
We are all happily riding around with BMW pumps.
Why change.

I was happily riding around with a BMW pump until it broke.
If a new BMW part cost £30 I would have happily bought one of them.
I cant afford/wont pay for a new BMW part so Im looking for a cheaper alternative.

That is the same unit that I have fitted to my 2012 GS the stock pump was down to 2 bar under full throttle.
This pump from ebay took a slight alteration to the mounting to fit but have had it on for a few thousand miles now and it remains at 4 bar ,(that is what the regulator is set at on the TC bikes).
I have a miniature fuel pressure gauge mounted on the dash so that I can keep an eye on it.
I tried a second hand low mileage bmw pump running directly into a ministry spec gauge max pressure 80psi This cheap ebay item showed almost 120 psi.
So more than happy with the ebay item and will be interested to see if it holds up for more than the 45K miles that the expensive BMW pump had expired by.

Thanks Mistacat, I was wondering if I modded the white assembly the new pump would probably be OK as the wiring and hose fits OK.
It looks like the original is 38 dia and the new one 39mm.
How did you mod the carrier? Slot in the side to allow it to fit?

I think it was a little tight on the raised plastic ribs inside the white plastic housing.
I would have taken a little off them with a die grinder or flap wheel, it was a while ago so don`t remember exactly. if it had been an issue i would have remembered.
Like the fuel filter !!!! This is a sealed unit in the housing above the pump. what idiot designed a non replaceable filter?
I decided to reverse flush the filter with clean fuel and compressed air. ended up damaging the filter so I now use an inline VW efi filter mounted just behind the steering head,
At least I can now replace it at service time.

I did exactly the same as Mistacat on my 07 GS. I bought the bike after a long period in storage and everything inside the fuel tank had been absolutely ruined by the stale fuel. My plan was to go to a Quantum pump (£60 ish) as used on several of my 1150s if the £30 job didn't work, but it works a treat. A little bit of modifying to the carrier but all fairly straightforward. Go for it.

Thanks Bendy. I spotted that one while searching but thought too good to be true. Reading the spec it shows the dia as 38 which is the same as stock so I assume this fitted without having to mod the carrier, would have saved me a job.
Fitted mine now and is running but needed dome fettling of the carrier to get fitted.

I was not sure that my old pump was worn out but £20 was cheap enough to try. The bike stopped a few months later and refused to run. I tried my bypass wire still no joy and had to be recovered home. With no traffic noise it was clear the pump was running. I had only wired the bypass the wrong way around and never thought to simply reverse the connections. Booger!

Back
Top Bottom