DCT - Neutral

Its the times when your trying to force it to go slower than it would want to do on tickover by applying the brakes when you'd normally slip the clutch a little I thought that maybe the DCT was pushing on....perhaps not.

The DCT is not at all like a regular car automatic with a torque converter , it doesn’t push on at all :thumb. If you select drive in an automatic car it’ll start rolling, the DCT will just sit there , the clutch will start to engage as you apply power and completely engage given enough speed. It’s a really a manual gearbox with 2 automatic clutches , it’s not an automatic gearbox.

I’ve never ridden mine Offroad but I imagine speedy ascents must be easier as it upshifts seamlessly with absolutely no loss of drive whatsoever.

The thing is, I'm trying to find legal lanes me and my mates can ride up and down during the year, on big Adventure Bikes... and have a laugh.

But, at the moment I'm really struggling (for some reason) to find a group that can do just that.

My mates would not enjoy banging their bikes down a rocky hill for a weekend of fun. Too old, and bikes cost to much to damage.

BUT, I'm giving this a go because I would like to learn more about off-road skills before I can't do it any more... and not destroy myself or the bike.

The thing is, I'm trying to find legal lanes me and my mates can ride up and down during the year, on big Adventure Bikes... and have a laugh.

But, at the moment I'm really struggling (for some reason) to find a group that can do just that.

My mates would not enjoy banging their bikes down a rocky hill for a weekend of fun. Too old, and bikes cost to much to damage.

BUT, I'm giving this a go because I would like to learn more about off-road skills before I can't do it any more... and not destroy myself or the bike.

Join TRF, they do big bike rides from time to time

Join TRF, they do big bike rides from time to time

Haha.... I DID... and my first ride out was with BlueRanger down a rocky feckin hill, wIth the TRF

That was supposed to be for big adventure bikes.

But in my opinion, wasn't really what I was expecting for big adventure bike riders with nearly no experience...

Having said that, there were a number of other factors in play that day...

i) I wasn't well and had been up half the night with kids. So I shouldnt have gone, but didn't want to let anyone down as I said I was going.

ii) My tyres were still at full road pressures, so had little grip and was being bounced all over the place. I didn't get a chance to sort it put before the hill decent. Rookie mistake.

iii) I normally ride my GSA... So the Africa Twin DCT only comes out for off-roading days. So I had 1.5 hours straight up the motorway to get back into riding the thing.

iv) DCT is great, BUT you do need to know how to adapt it for off roading. I'm still learning... right at the beginning.

So after 2 hours of riding, just to get there, and an hour fighting the bike in the rain.... I called it a day as I still had 2 hours to ride home in the pissing rain :D

But... I'm not giving up and there must be a better experience waiting...

iii) I normally ride my GSA... So the Africa Twin DCT only comes out for off-roading days. So I had 1.5 hours straight up the motorway to get back into riding the thing.

This is the madness I'm afraid. Lose the AT and get something that is 100kg lighter and properly suitable for off roading for a novice

This is the madness I'm afraid. Lose the AT and get something that is 100kg lighter and properly suitable for off roading for a novice

Sorry, that is not going to happen

I said that to him before Dave

There is no way on earth I would buy a 1000cc bike as a reasonably experienced off road rider (since I was 12 in Trials - but still fall off every now and again) and as a total novice, like Warlord - I fail to see the logic (except it was cheap on a PCP)
Too heavy, too unwieldy and potentially too much power

My KTM 500 is a handful at times - power wise.......but is half the weight of a CRF 1000

If he wants to use his CRF 1000 Salisbury Plain in summer is ideal

Most of the Wales/Peaks and Yorkshire trails are predominantly rocky as that is what typifies them

Warlord you better be a quick learner and get to love them rocks

Well then thats a shame.

Honda off road riding using Africa Twins, BMW off road use GS and GSA's. I had great fun on my ORS weekends.... but according to you theres nowhere to ride them in the uk off road.

Well thats a shame. If it comes down to Sailsbury Plains in summer only... then so be it.

Maybe thats all thats going to be possible, but I can live with that as a now and then experience.

Shame really that the open off-road is abroad only

Well then thats a shame.

Honda off road riding using Africa Twins, BMW off road use GS and GSA's. I had great fun on my ORS weekends.... but according to you theres nowhere to ride them in the uk off road.

Well thats a shame. If it comes down to Sailsbury Plains in summer only... then so be it.

Maybe thats all thats going to be possible, but I can live with that as a now and then experience.

Plenty of suitable places up north if you have some experience to ride them

I don't know how good or bad you are ?

One or two days at ORS won't give you all the skills

However by the very nature of the unmetalled road network and it's history of when and how they were created, a lot are rocky and narrow with water crossings

We do have some open going up here but then some nasty bits too of rocks and boggy bits

If you want to come up to stay in a pub/B&B at Masham I could show you some good routes to use your bike on for 1 or 2 days

However....I won't provide gps routes and wouldn't allow a gps to track them if I took you out

There is no way on earth I would buy a 1000cc bike as a reasonably experienced off road rider (since I was 12 in Trials - but still fall off every now and again) and as a total novice, like Warlord - I fail to see the logic (except it was cheap on a PCP)
Too heavy, too unwieldy and potentially too much power

I’m sure the £69 a month for the bike has something to do with it. I can’t fathom any other logical reason why an off-road novice would want to take a brand new 1000cc bike off-road.

I’m sure the £69 a month for the bike has something to do with it.

I can’t fathom any other logical reason why an off-road novice would want to take a brand new 1000cc bike off-road.

Yep, but unless you're paying off the residual - you are going to get caned for damage and then a 1000cc bike damaged offroad is always going to be worth less/cost more to fix than one that has been used onroad and is pristine

Whether you've paid £11000 cash or £69/month it's going to cost one way or the other

Well then thats a shame.

Honda and BMW have pulled a blinder with their off road schools. Get Joe Public to ride their bikes in a safe and fairly easy environment (I did the BMW course in 2003/4) Show them how good the bikes can be. Have a top rider or two to really show them how they can be ridden but ultimately, yes, it is a shame that there are few places to ride them in the UK. But that's a fact, and has been known (and getting worse) for years now. (It's not "according to JB", its a fact of life)
Happy riding and hats off to you for being daft enough to take it properly off road (but go get a 120kg KTM exc and do it right)

I recommend you get in touch with Marianne Walford , off road riding in Wales. She runs some great and very affordable off road days for big bikes. Don’t have her contact details just now, but Google will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Honda and BMW have pulled a blinder with their off road schools.

Get Joe Public to ride their bikes in a safe and fairly easy environment (I did the BMW course in 2003/4)

Show them how good the bikes can be.

Have a top rider or two to really show them how they can be ridden but ultimately, yes, it is a shame that there are few places to ride them in the UK.

But that's a fact, and has been known (and getting worse) for years now. (It's not "according to JB", its a fact of life)

Happy riding and hats off to you for being daft enough to take it properly off road (but go get a 120kg KTM exc and do it right)

I think we're fairly level and static for losses, we have some great lanes to use now up here and winning a few battles now

Post 2006 when NERC was enacted, we did lose about 30-40% in Yorkshire and people still hark back to that - but in 2018 there is still loads in Yorkshire and quite a few for big bikes

So Warlord - book a weekend away in Yorkshire and I'll show where you can take your big bike off tarmac for a weekend

The DCT is not at all like a regular car automatic with a torque converter , it doesn’t push on at all :thumb. If you select drive in an automatic car it’ll start rolling, the DCT will just sit there , the clutch will start to engage as you apply power and completely engage given enough speed. It’s a really a manual gearbox with 2 automatic clutches , it’s not an automatic gearbox.

Thanks for clarifying Rushy. At times I could see this binary option being a hinderance but only in some instances, the no stall would certainly be a big help!

Haha.... I DID... and my first ride out was with BlueRanger down a rocky feckin hill, wIth the TRF

It wasn't an official TRF ride...just so they don't get upset, even though some of us are members of different regions.
I certainly asked one of the other guys if you would be ok Warlord, and as you'd done ORS L1&L2 we both thought you'd be fine.

But... I'm not giving up as there is a better experience waiting...
Corrected for you. :D

It wasn't an official TRF ride...just so they don't get upset, even though some of us are members of different regions.
I certainly asked one of the other guys if you would be ok Warlord, and as you'd done ORS L1&L2 we both thought you'd be fine.

It doesn't matter anyways, but I was at a TRF meeting and this rideout was mentioned to me, it was then mentioned again and recommended I went on it as it was listed on the TRF noticeboard (facebook I think). The regional manager text me to see if I wanted to go on it, as it was for Big Adventure Bikes.

So it can't be much more TRF official unless it's supposed to be opened with red tape and scissors?

Anyways, like I said it doesn't matter.

I'll let you lot fight amongst yourselves over my money and how I spend it, it doesn't matter anywhere near enough to me, as it apparently means to you. :nenau

It was meant to be some fun, but that is rapidly dissipating... :rolleyes:

But whatever I get up to, I shall continue to enjoy the Africa Twin DCT as it is a really good bike :)

Back
Top Bottom