DCT - Neutral

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was out on my freaky tween today.

Tried to select Neutral while riding DCT at speed. It won't do it, unless stationary.

Any ideas how to override this?

wait a minute, you tried to select neutral while riding at speed, why ?

Chances are you can't select neutral while riding at speed.

wait a minute, you tried to select neutral while riding at speed, why ?

Chances are you can't select neutral while riding at speed.

Well, on technical rocky hill decents, you need to isolate the throttle at times... to stop accidental roll-on as you are being banged about. In DCT this whisky throttle is feckin scary.

On a normal bike you would pull the clutch in.

So this means it would have been useful to hit Neutral button, to isolate clutch, but keep engine running, the use paddle shift back into 1st gear.

But you cant select Neutral while bike is moving.

This means you need to hit the kill switch, but then that can lock the engine in gear and confuse the DCT Mode... leaving you with a non-starting bike until you sort it out ..

Or start the hill decent with engine off, but then you dont have engine braking, and must rely on front and rear brakes only...

And then if the engine is off... how the hell do you get started in the first place.

Hitting the kill switch while in gear, I thought caused DCT issues??

I hardly ever put mine in neutral, killing it or not, may be I should start doing so.

Are you riding off road? If not you don't need to.

This issue is created when dealing with technical off road sections, as you don't have a clutch to pull in.

You can control it when on a flat surface using the rear and front brake. But this changes when the bike is being banged around on rocks and bolders.

I'll test my dct tomorrow.. I have never heard this discussed as an issue before, I wonder what the blokes who run the africa twin off road training days in Wales would suggest; apparently they all opt to use dct bikes..

As it’s impossible to stall the bike when you ride these technical rocky sections
, and you don’t want to have your throttle hand ‘jarred’, just take your right hand off the bars and ride the section one handed :thumb

As it’s impossible to stall the bike when you ride these technical rocky sections
, and you don’t want to have your throttle hand ‘jarred’, just take your right hand off the bars and ride the section one handed :thumb

Haha, or get off and walk

I'll test my dct tomorrow.. I have never heard this discussed as an issue before, I wonder what the blokes who run the africa twin off road training days in Wales would suggest; apparently they all opt to use dct bikes..

I'd be interested to hear how they do it on DCT.

I might need to pay them a visit

...May I suggest less time thinking the solution is in the bike and more time getting you better at downhills and soon my lad you’ll be going down them as fast as you can go up them :D

A wise chap once said to me try and keep your weight and balance on your legs so that your shoulders are lose and your grip on the controls light.

Does a DCT AT in 1st push on when it gets very slow? Most fuel injected bikes do but the bigger and grunty ones can really push you on, my HP2 was a bastard for it and a quick pull of the clutch would normally just get me into more trouble - The way round it was to be a better rider, so I sold it :D

On a steep and rocky descent - the last thing I would do is pull the clutch in ......on a normal bike

I would modulate my speed with front (more) and rear brake (less)

If it was really gnarly I would be in 1st or less gnarly in 2nd

Pulling the clutch in, leaves you out of control and at the mercy of gravity with just brakes to retard the bike, which always ends up out of control imho

As Wreford says - the control is in your legs and feet with your bum as far back as you can get it (on rear brake light) on a descent

Only time I would pull the clutch in on a descent is when stopping to take a photograph

Lock a DCT bike in 1st at the top of the descent if you can and don't ride down without assessing it - maybe walk it first ?

Maybe put in manual? I think learning not to accidentally open the throttle is the way to go, it will come with more practice. It is a difficult bike to ride in technical areas for sure .I don’t think putting it in neutral is the answer though.

On a steep and rocky descent - the last thing I would do is pull the clutch in ......on a normal bike

I would modulate my speed with front (more) and rear brake (less)

If it was really gnarly I would be in 1st or less gnarly in 2nd

Pulling the clutch in, leaves you out of control and at the mercy of gravity with just brakes to retard the bike, which always ends up out of control imho

As Wreford says - the control is in your legs and feet with your bum as far back as you can get it (on rear brake light) on a descent

Only time I would pull the clutch in on a descent is when stopping to take a photograph

Lock a DCT bike in 1st at the top of the descent if you can and don't ride down without assessing it - maybe walk it first ?

Although :D ......
On an extreme decent of slime covered rocks when it may not be possible to keep a right foot up, it could be to your advantage to kill the engine in 1st gear and use the clutch as a rear brake.....something else you cant do with a DCT :)

I didnt find it an issue when I was over there on the DCT just use the front and rear brakes and let the automatic clutch take care of the engine on downhills

52ffe1e464ca531bf5fb23a488475599.png

Back
Top Bottom