Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DISCOVERING IRELAND (what,where,when & how... a guide to the Emerald Isle)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

upcoming trip

Hi guys,

A quick question for the panel:

I have some time in Ireland coming up , arriving on a Sunday morning, and leaving a week later. Probably going in and out of Rosslare but could do Dun Laoghaire also.

I have a fixed commitment - a wedding near Waterford , which means I have to be there from Tuesday evening to Thursday morning. This is awkward in that it splits the week into two 2-3 day chunks, limiting the scope of where I can go.

I thought a thrash over to the SW for the first bit - and then bimbling around Beara/Sheep's Head etc. I note the advice re Kenmare and Allihies and this will feature in the plans.

I was wondering about then going up country for a bit - around Tipp/Laois/Offaly - but I have never visited the central bit. Should I? I'm imagining it's a bit road less travelled, which is no bad thing.

What's the view on wild camping in Ireland ? Will I be bothered by the guards ?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by thegasman View Post
    I was wondering about then going up country for a bit - around Tipp/Laois/Offaly - but I have never visited the central bit. Should I? I'm imagining it's a bit road less travelled, which is no bad thing.
    To the west of Waterford you'll find the Comeragh mountains with some nice roads like the R676 south of Carrick-on-Suir. Mahon Falls near Lemybrien is a must. South of Clonmel is also good. Further west are the Knockmealdowns with the stunning Vee (on a clear day) on the R669. The road from Cappoquin to Newcastle is also scenic. The area west of the Vee as far as the M8 has lots a little roads meandering through the hills. Between Mitchelstown & Tipperary town you have the Galtys, not many roads through them but the roads around the edge are nice riding. From there I'd suggest the Slieve Felim & Silvermines mountains to the north for lots of scenic twisty roads. North again & the Slieve Aughty mountains to the west of Lough Derg are crisscrossed by great roads - the road from Killaloe via The Gap to Kilbane is a particular favourite. Once past the north end of the lake head back east to the Slieve Blooms. One of my regular rides is the R440 out of Kinnity & at Killanure take the left for The Cut & Clonaslee. Lots of other roads in there worth exploring if you have time. From there it's a bit flat until you get to the Wicklow mountains but there's any amount of nice roads in there. Avoid the Wicklow Gap on a Sunday as the crotch rockets invade the place. The R115 through Sally Gap is beautiful but it's bumpy & potholed so big trailies are probably all you'll meet. From there Dublin / Dun Laoghaire or Rosslare ports are easily reached. You should have no problem filling a couple of days with that loop

What's the view on wild camping in Ireland ? Will I be bothered by the guards ?
    Most of those places you won't see a Guard, never mind be bothered by one
    There's lots of forestry in those areas and unless they're logging I doubt anyone will say a word to you. If all else fails ask at a farmhouse if you can pitch in a corner of their field, shouldn't be a problem. Pick the right house & you might even be offered a few eggs or some fresh soda bread
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Thanks mate , will sit down with a map and go through this lot.

Well, made it to Allihies, finishing up in O'Neil's and about to wend my way down the through the other pubs before finding my tent on the beach. Nice!

Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
    Well, made it to Allihies, finishing up in O'Neil's and about to wend my way down the through the other pubs before finding my tent on the beach. Nice!
    I just missed you left the Lighthouse for Jimmy's and now home. Next time maybe, I have been busy and was on Dursey last night so was not looking out for bikes mise a part the AJS

Ah, no worries. Had a good time and enjoyed my stay. Would have given you some warning, but my phone is not connecting, and internet connection a hit and miss affair. See you next time.

I'm new here and maybe it's already been mentioned but here's a video that I took last August while driving over the Conor Pass and down into Dingle.
    Have a GS now but was on a K1600GT at the time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtiUDJQ-mE4

Very nice...

Was in a B&B in Ballymoney the other day & saw this leaflet. Thought it might be of interest

Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

ffs how many times have been in that area and not been................

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123