No Power in my garage, winter charging question

I'd either make the solar option work, if its charger uses the same scheme as a Battery Tender, or I'd take the battery out of the bike and keep it inside on a Battery Tender or like charger/maintainer until your riding season returns.

How long are you planning on laying the bike up for? I’ve left bikes over the winter without a charger, and they’ve started just fine, come the nicer weather.:thumb

How long are you planning on laying the bike up for? I’ve left bikes over the winter without a charger, and they’ve started just fine, come the nicer weather.:thumb

Not sure really Nutty, it depends on the weather. I don't mind riding in the rain but not really into winter riding, cold, icy and dangerous. I just think it damages the bikes too much and is a bit too risky as I only really ride for touring and fun. Also been self employed if I have a spill and break something on me and have to have time off work it gets expensive very quickly.

Just take the battery off every couple of weeks, bang it on the charger for a few hours then stick it back in.

Another solution get a 2nd battery and keep it in the house, if 1st battery does not start bike up just swap over, and then charge the other battery.

Not sure really Nutty, it depends on the weather. I don't mind riding in the rain but not really into winter riding, cold, icy and dangerous. I just think it damages the bikes too much and is a bit too risky as I only really ride for touring and fun. Also been self employed if I have a spill and break something on me and have to have time off work it gets expensive very quickly.

Exactly the same for me. I won’t do snow or ice, plus, running my own businesses, it wouldn’t be good if anything happened. Which it very nearly did at the weekend on a diesel soaked roundabout, but that’s another story.

The weather has warmed back up, so I’ll probably keep riding for the rest of the month, with the odd day here and there over winter if the weather is nice. I just make sure to give the bike a good wash after each ride, if the salt is down. I’ve not seen the gritters down here yet though.

What do the stealers do with bikes sat in the showroom over winter. You don’t see loads of chargers connected up when you walk around?

What do the stealers do with bikes sat in the showroom over winter. You don’t see loads of chargers connected up when you walk around?

They will connect up chargers overnight, on a rotational basis rather than run cables across the floor. Additionally - it is not as critical, as the temperatures dont go as low as a garage.

Back to the original query - buy a big car battery (that you can lift) - and hook it up to the bike/battery every 4 weeks, leaving it connected for 2 weeks - remove to the house and recharge, and repeat.

If the battery is good it won't need trickle charging

My bike rarely gets used between November and the beginning of March and has never needed the battery charging in five winters since new, although I don’t have an alarm fitted

You may get away with it, you may not..............

Removing the battery to your kitchen, charging fully and storing it indoors for the winter - negates that possibility.

I remove my battery to the house every year and it sits in a spare room on a trickle charger all winter and then it goes back in the bike in March. I change the clock to the correct time on the dash and thats it, nothing complicated.

If you have removed the battery - all you need is an initial charge. You wont even need another charge before refitting the battery to the bike. A constant trickle-charge is unnecessary (and may even be counterproductive)

Don't worry about it just take it off and keep it in the house. If it does bother you just connect another battery swapping it out.

Self discharge in lead acid batteries drops with decreasing temperature. I'd charge it and thean store it in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom